Wetherspoons/paisley Pubs?

RickMcD

Didn't know whether to post this under our thread or start a new one. Decided on the latter and that's probably enough to start an argument, I've liked most Wetherspoons pubs I've been in. The one I've been in most often is probably still The Last Post. I've read bad things about it on here but the worst bother I ever saw was a handbags at dawn affair and I saw worse in the Camphill playground many moons ago just a couple of months back. Tim Martin is a clever guy and I've always admired him. I bumped into twice on successive days over here. Don't know him from Adam but I saw this bloke standing in Bangor looking up at my old local The Windsor which unfortunately has closed it's doors. I thought he looked a bit like Tim Martin because I'd seen him interviewed on telly but I didn't realise he was so big. 6' 6'' in his stocking soles. I looked him up on Google and realised it was him and by chance the following morning I saw him coming out of Bedford Street in Belfast where his pub The Bridge House is situated. It has been mentioned on here before. Anyway, somehow or another I'm on the Wetherspoons mailing list and I got an interesting e-mail yesterday where Martin looks closely at the huge tax advantage the big supermarket chains have over pubs. I knew there was disparity but if the figures quoted are correct, and I'm sure they will be, it's no wonder so many pubs are shutting down. I like pubs- in fact I love them- and they really are a part of our culture in every part of these islands. I don't care what knockers have to say.

Anyway, I don't know how to do links but I'm sure someone out there will be able to find the article and possibly post it. It is thought provoking. Incidentally, it is strongly rumoured that Wetherspoons are buying the Windsor Bar here in Bangor. I really hope it's true.

Edited by RickMcD

No, Shull, not that one but it makes some valid points. The one I'm talking about has a heading 'It's In The Maths, Stupid'. Among other things it says that the average Wetherspoons pub pays around £650,000 in tax every year one way or another.

I thought you and Faraway constituted a mutual admiration society but there the two of you are above, fighting like cat and dog over my post.

You love the culture of pubs but you want Wetherspoons in your town?

You'll get the "culture" you deserve then.

Hell mend you.

I briefly alluded to the 'culture' problem you mention. Sorry I haven't witnessed the bloody battles and vile anti-social antics that you must have witnessed so often. I tend to be in pubs occasionally at lunchtime and fairly regularly at teatime or in the early evening. Most of the trouble I've seen in pubs was before I left Paisley and more often that not near shutting time. And finally thank you for your good wishes.

No, Shull, not that one but it makes some valid points. The one I'm talking about has a heading 'It's In The Maths, Stupid'. Among other things it says that the average Wetherspoons pub pays around £650,000 in tax every year one way or another.

I thought you and Faraway constituted a mutual admiration society but there the two of you are above, fighting like cat and dog over my post.

Who you calling Stoopit ? lol.gif

Smokie aye, he's a dunderheid

Get why Witherspoons is so popular and have had the odd drink in there. When getting off the train in Paisley for the football I tend to go into what used to be Langs or the Club Bar as an old mate drink there on Saturday afternoons preference for me is a local owned pub.

Witherspoons purchasing power is so big they can cut local pubs by large margins in effect local pubs shut up shop because they cant compete this is what you will experience in Bangor taking local money out of the town to Witherspoos central office.

As for the tax side of things I have no idea all I know is there seems to be laws on tax for some and laws on tax for others when it comes to the UK.

Guest TPAFKATS

It's a bit rich that wetherspoons would have a go about unfair advantage given how they've behaved towards small pubs over the years

Edit-and regarding his living wage nonsense...f**k 'em as shull might say

Edited by TPAFKATS

It's a bit rich that wetherspoons would have a go about unfair advantage given how they've behaved towards small pubs over the years

Edit-and regarding his living wage nonsense...f**k 'em as shull might say

I'm not a regular of any Wetherspoon's establishment. But I like them. Freedom of choice. The thing that struck home with me is the vast tax advantage that already super rich supermarket chains can employ in keeping alcohol prices so low. If it was addressed then all publicans, hotel chains and restaurants could regain some of the lost territory. Before chain stores came along ( Anybody remember AA Brothers?) and supermarkets seriously entered the cut price markets, I don't remember publicans entering a cut-price war to benefit their customers.From about the mid 60's until probably the turn of the century, publicans enjoyed a boom period. All such booms come to an end. Tim Martin will probably lose his advantage one day but if his figures are accurate (I don't think he would tell porkies) they are paying in excess of half a billion in taxes every year. Not bad.

I don't like to see pubs closing anywhere, but be honest. Did none of them deserve to close? We don't have a Wetherspoons in Bangor but pubs have closed here over the years and have been bought over by a local entrepreneur. who is allegedly backed by big money. They then lease it out to mugs at ridiculous rates who even have to buy most of their stock at marked up prices from said entrepreneur who buys at discount. If any of these publicans last two years they have beaten the odds. When they go down another bum of the month comes along and it all starts over again. Wetherspoons don't feature in any of this. Yet. The biggest contributing factor is youngsters pre-loading at supermarket prices. They don't go out until 10pm at the earliest. In my day that's when pubs shut.

I think Tim Martin is a very astute businessman. Most of his secondary education was at Campbell College in Belfast so he is maybe bigger news over here than on the mainland. He saw an opening in the market and exploited it. He's far from the only reason why pubs are closing. His pubs are clean, cheap and generally well run. Drinkers have voted with their feet.

Guest TPAFKATS

I'm not a regular of any Wetherspoon's establishment. But I like them. Freedom of choice. The thing that struck home with me is the vast tax advantage that already super rich supermarket chains can employ in keeping alcohol prices so low.

Agree with this Rick. However in their case would easily swop supermarket chains for wetherspoons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming his company completely for the demise of local pubs, but they are particularly adept at wiping out local competition partly due to their buying power.

Obviously brewers don't help this, especially with their attitude to rents and tied pubs