Hampden

donport

What a total crap National Stadium Hampden is!! As always we are miles behind just look at Irish and Welsh stadiums and of course the new Wembley !!...We are not at the races and as for the playing surface it has been dreadful ever since they opened the new stadium , It's. no wonder we are miles behind as a football nation when we can't even do the basics right and lag miles behind other home nations that are smaller than us time for root and branch change at the SFA !

What a total crap National Stadium Hampden is!! As always we are miles behind just look at Irish and Welsh stadiums and of course the new Wembley !!...We are not at the races and as for the playing surface it has been dreadful ever since they opened the new stadium , It's. no wonder we are miles behind as a football nation when we can't even do the basics right and lag miles behind other home nations that are smaller than us time for root and branch change at the SFA !

Hampden refurb' £59 million.

Wembley re-build £757 million.

Don't get me wrong, Wembley is the best stadium I have ever been in, anywhere. I also think Hampden is a bit shite.

Still, a completely unfair comparison. Wembley is a Rolls Royce, Hampden is a tarted-up second-hand Proton fae' Arnold Clark.

Hampden refurb' £59 million.

Wembley re-build £757 million.

Don't get me wrong, Wembley is the best stadium I have ever been in, anywhere. I also think Hampden is a bit shite.

Still, a completely unfair comparison. Wembley is a Rolls Royce, Hampden is a tarted-up second-hand Proton fae' Arnold Clark.

Millennium stadium was 110million (roughly) and shows what you can do if the costs don't spiral out of control like Wembley

Agree with your last point!

Millennium stadium was 110million (roughly) and shows what you can do if the costs don't spiral out of control like Wembley

Agree with your last point!

Millennium Stadium is obviously the home of Welsh rugby and hosts football internationals too.

We have a magnificent stadium in Murrayfield AND a half-decent Hampden. Scotland 2 Wales 1.

Saw one of the managers claiming before the game the Hampden pitch was a mess (in fairness, he had a point) and you wouldn't get that at Wembley. Really? I can remember a host of problems with the surface at Wembley since it was redeveloped - back before the NFL were using it - and a quick look at Google backs that up.

Hampden isn't a great stadium though, think they made a mess of redeveloping it. Stands are too far back from the pitch and not steep enough. Also looks like the security checks don't let Celtic take their bottle in.

Saw one of the managers claiming before the game the Hampden pitch was a mess (in fairness, he had a point) and you wouldn't get that at Wembley. Really? I can remember a host of problems with the surface at Wembley since it was redeveloped - back before the NFL were using it - and a quick look at Google backs that up.

Hampden isn't a great stadium though, think they made a mess of redeveloping it. Stands are too far back from the pitch and not steep enough. Also looks like the security checks don't let Celtic take their bottle in.

Huh? If they hadn't made the stands that far back Glasgow wouldn't have been able to host the Commonwealth Games.

There are plenty of bits of Hampden that are showing their age now and need a revamp. Anyone who has wandered along the corridors on the 5th floor trying to avoid the strategically placed plastic buckets dealing with the many leaks in the roof, or who has stopped off to use one of the toilets in that corridor will know exactly what I mean. Any attempt at putting on a luxurious façade doesn't get beyond the meeting rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor. The North, East and West Stands are a bit spartan in terms of facilities, but I still love the old lady especially on a big international night. The atmosphere can be absolutely electric and the noise generated from the so called Hampden Roar is a very real thing. Obviously it's also a very clear example of how atmosphere in a football stadium has absolutely no effect on a football teams performance.

Having a national stadium not for from the middle of Glasgow is not ideal but tell you what when Scotland is playing well it has a atmosphere second to none Hampden rocks, ROCKS I TELL YOU.

Wembley , have been in the new one also it is impressive however you have the fans split with hospitality in the middle. Wembley can only dream of Hampdens atmosphere. She is an old lady with an amazing history she just needs up-graded.

The problems all go back to Thatcher who was persuaded by Teddy Taylor and the then blue bigots chairman (Rae Simpson? ) that we didn't need a national stadium and matches could be played at Castle Greyskull and other existing stadia. The council did withdraw a £5.5M grant but not sure of the exact timing of this although GDC's well known leanings to the green bigots cannot be denied!

Huh? If they hadn't made the stands that far back Glasgow wouldn't have been able to host the Commonwealth Games.

There are plenty of bits of Hampden that are showing their age now and need a revamp. Anyone who has wandered along the corridors on the 5th floor trying to avoid the strategically placed plastic buckets dealing with the many leaks in the roof, or who has stopped off to use one of the toilets in that corridor will know exactly what I mean. Any attempt at putting on a luxurious façade doesn't get beyond the meeting rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor. The North, East and West Stands are a bit spartan in terms of facilities, but I still love the old lady especially on a big international night. The atmosphere can be absolutely electric and the noise generated from the so called Hampden Roar is a very real thing. Obviously it's also a very clear example of how atmosphere in a football stadium has absolutely no effect on a football teams performance.

I hadn't realised when they began the redevelopment work in the early 1990s (possibly even earlier) it was with a view to the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow 25 years later.

I hadn't realised when they began the redevelopment work in the early 1990s (possibly even earlier) it was with a view to the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow 25 years later.

Cut him some slack. When he saw the running track at Hampden he had a staunner' for three months.