Michael Higdon

saintstu

No way would I want Higdon back, in his first interview upon signing for St.Mirren he stated and I quote "my main aim is to move to a higher end club and you only get them in England"

Yeah I'd really expect any footballer who grew up in another country to dream of playing for us.

No way would I want Higdon back, in his first interview upon signing for St.Mirren he stated and I quote "my main aim is to move to a higher end club and you only get them in England"

How dare he? And only the 17 goals in his second season to soften the blow of such a scathing analysis of the club.

I expect every player to have played for St Mirren in the modern era has had the same aim.

If they didn't, why didn't they?

• 4 weeks later...

It's a short career, you'd need to be daft to not want to squeeze every penny you could out of it. Thompson's a different situation. He's a St Mirren fan, who wanted a few years playing for his team, he had made his money long before he signed for us.

If I was Alex Rae talking to a youngster, who told me the sum of his ambitions was to play for St Mirren, I'd be very concerned about their future in the game. Sure, their immediate goal should be to break into the first team, but beyond that, all these guys should have their eye on the next big move, and the next big contract. It's what will drive them to play well for us. We just have to accept that's the role of a club our size.

stripey

I am not saying he, just like another player should not aim higher than playing for St.Mirren, however he was not that good and it was a stupid thing to say when he had just signed for the club. I did notice he didn't come out with such a stupid statement when he put pen to paper for any English club, no matter what position they were in, either in that league or what position they were sitting in or that clubs financial status.

stripey

I am not saying he, just like another player should not aim higher than playing for St.Mirren, however he was not that good and it was a stupid thing to say when he had just signed for the club. I did notice he didn't come out with such a stupid statement when he put pen to paper for any English club, no matter what position they were in, either in that league or what position they were sitting in or that clubs financial status.

It's not stupid. He went on to bigger clubs than us and won a national player of the year award.

It's not stupid. He went on to bigger clubs than us and won a national player of the year award.

Yes your correct in what you say however in my opinion, he had just put pen to paper an signed for us, a club he, if he had any sense, would see him seeking the fans support and yet he comes out straight away with a stupid statement as I originally said, that was hardly going to get the backing of some of the support.

At the end of the day your perfectly entitled to your opinion as I am too mine, so no doubt we will agree to disagree.whistling.gif

Yes your correct in what you say however in my opinion, he had just put pen to paper an signed for us, a club he, if he had any sense, would see him seeking the fans support and yet he comes out straight away with a stupid statement as I originally said, that was hardly going to get the backing of some of the support.

At the end of the day your perfectly entitled to your opinion as I am too mine, so no doubt we will agree to disagree.whistling.gif

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with any player being truthful to me, and I find it hard to think that anyone would prefer to be lied to.

He did what he set out to do and served us well enough along the way.

Win win.

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with any player being truthful to me, and I find it hard to think that anyone would prefer to be lied to.

He did what he set out to do and served us well enough along the way.

Win win.

It's not necessarily about being lied to.

It's about understanding that it's not clever to put pen to paper and then announce you are looking for the next move before you have even worn the shirt.

What Higdon did was as daft as what Mark McGhee did when he went to Aberdeen. Signed for the club and immediately spoke about wanting the Celtic job.

Unsurprisingly he was not well liked up there.

Imagine walking into an interview for a job. Signing a contract and then immediately announcing to all who will listen "Right I'm off to work for Google in 12 months time." It would be crazy to do that.