Naming Storms

Drew

This has been touched on elsewhere, but with reports about the latest storm (Imogen, FFS - I'm grinding my teeth just typing it) arriving, I have to express my absolute contempt for this naming trend.

I can't be the only person who finds this extremely irritating and condescending. It's bad enough that people give names to their f**king cars, but this is a step too far. Its wind, rain, and occasionally snow. We don't need to give it a poxy middle-class name to identify what the f**k it is!

This has been touched on elsewhere, but with reports about the latest storm (Imogen, FFS - I'm grinding my teeth just typing it) arriving, I have to express my absolute contempt for this naming trend.

I can't be the only person who finds this extremely irritating and condescending. It's bad enough that people give names to their f**king cars, but this is a step too far. Its wind, rain, and occasionally snow. We don't need to give it a poxy middle-class name to identify what the f**k it is!

Agree. A load of fcuking bollocks. Fair enough if this is the midwest USA in tornado season, and you are trying to get folk to board up their houses and get tbe fcuk out of Dodge the day before it hits... but this is Scotland in winter, and it gets wild, wet, and windy. Hold the front page.

Storm Imogen. FFS!

Edited by pozbaird

Its as annoying as the phrases "temperatures are STRUGGLING to get above freezing" and the classic "Britain is BRACING itself for ...."

Neither are true. The temperature doesnt WANT to be higher and Britain is a lump of rock which isnt even thinking about the weather.

Classic dumbing down to try and turn everything into entertainment for the easily bored masses.

News and weather are news and weather. If I wanted entertainment I would go to the cinema........provided they werent showing that bloody awful Bond film.

just think that some tory fkwit got paid good tax payers money to come up with those names..........cant wait for storm zebadee in the spring tho................whistling.gif

There will be no storm zebedee.

We can look forward to Jake next followed by Katie.

At some point there will be a Nigel as well.

According to the Met Office, the reason they came up with names, and seriously I kid you not, is because in 2011 people in Scotland called one storm Hurricane Bawbag which apparently "caused confusion".

“In this way the public will be better placed to keep themselves, their property and businesses safe,” explains the Met Office website.

​In other words, like I said above, they think the public are thick as f**k.

I'm very disappointed that no-one has mentioned 'The Nanny State' or how it's 'Health and safety gone mad'. Those phrases are usually mentioned in the ill informed, irritated ramblings of those bemoaning any minor and largely inconsequential change in modern life.

Folk on here need to get their finger out!