David Longwell Leaving The Club

Drew

Alex Rae talked about setting up a scouting system at the last Q&A night. He also mentioned St.Mirren's defensive tactics about not fannying about at the back!

David Longwell recently said in interview that he thinks football should be played from the back!

And yes he's developed McGinn,McClean,Naismith,Mallan,Kelly, and many more but scouting player's was not his Speciality missed the boat on some promising local boy's over the years!

Over all he's done well for St.Mirren and wish him all the sucess in the future he's going to have an amazing life in Florida.

I can't say I think it's bad St.Mirren have needed restructured from top to bottom for some years now...

He didnt have the luxury of having a few youth scouts onboard. Done very well under limited number of staff to help him find the best talent.

David Longwell will be a massive loss to the youth set up despite what some of the lunatic fringe post on here. Not many clubs have produced the number of talented youngsters who have formed a big part of our first team squad in recent year's when Danny was happy to work alongside David and provide a platform for the talented youngsters.

I have met David a number of times over the years and you won't find a harder working, more committed individual for the cause of our great club. He will be a big loss but an exciting opportunity for someone. :-)

I seem to remember Newcastle United were interested in taking him south a few years ago.

Good luck in the states you deserve your big break. :-)

I don't think this is related to Alex Rae coming in and/or his comments at the Q&A. You don't get a job like this handed to you overnight. He's been linked with bigger clubs over the years and it was only a matter of time.

Good luck to him, I think he's done reasonably well. Suppose we'll find out how well he did with us once he's left.

Edited by davidg

Longwell has and is doing a superb job for us. Gold Standard for 3 years on the trot. Only 5 star academy in the country. U20 team is 3rd in the U20 League behind Celtic and Hamilton but well above teams like Hearts, Dundee Utd and Falkirk who have excellent U20 reputations.

Current first team has Academy graduates Kelly, Baird, Naismith and Mallan with Stewart, Morgan, Cuddihy, and McLear all having had some first team opportunities.

Ex-graduate McLean was sold to keep the Club afloat last winter and McGinn has not only brought in £100K but could bring in a lot more than that if transferred for big bucks.

On Monday I was talking to a pro not currently with St Mirren but did some youth coaching under Longwell and he could not speak highly enough of him and the Academy.

And some think he will not be missed? What has Longwell got to do to get praise from some fans?

He has unquestionably done well for this club and i am surprised we have managed to hold on to him until now as i mentioned on facebook, good luck to the big man in his new role and life in America, its a void to fill yes but u have to hope we wont miss him and that we can push on with youth academy with whoever comes in or whatever club set up, you never know it could work out well in end for both parties, always gonna get negativity with our fans though either way ????

Longwell has and is doing a superb job for us. Gold Standard for 3 years on the trot. Only 5 star academy in the country. U20 team is 3rd in the U20 League behind Celtic and Hamilton but well above teams like Hearts, Dundee Utd and Falkirk who have excellent U20 reputations.

Current first team has Academy graduates Kelly, Baird, Naismith and Mallan with Stewart, Morgan, Cuddihy, and McLear all having had some first team opportunities.

Ex-graduate McLean was sold to keep the Club afloat last winter and McGinn has not only brought in £100K but could bring in a lot more than that if transferred for big bucks.

On Monday I was talking to a pro not currently with St Mirren but did some youth coaching under Longwell and he could not speak highly enough of him and the Academy.

And some think he will not be missed? What has Longwell got to do to get praise from some fans?

Our u20s team under David have been exceptional this season. When you consider that in the main we only select players who are actually under 20 it's been a great achievement. Both Celtic, Hamilton and others consistently select the maximum over age players allowed under the rules. Possibly the reason why we are now producing more players than them.

Longwell has and is doing a superb job for us. Gold Standard for 3 years on the trot. Only 5 star academy in the country.

The club should be shouting this from the rooftops. I don't think we're perceived in that way by the media, as we're hardly given a mention when it comes to talking about clubs developing youth and first team players.

I wonder if Dundee United's former Youth Coach Stevie Campbell might take over from DL.

Good record of developing youth at Tannadice. Spoke to a few United fans a few weeks ago when they were playing Airdrie and they spoke very highly of him and said he was a well-liked figure at the club.

Worth a Shout tbh

The club should be shouting this from the rooftops. I don't think we're perceived in that way by the media, as we're hardly given a mention when it comes to talking about clubs developing youth and first team players.

Because it's not the facility that matters. Its the quality of the player coming through the system.

Look at what Alex Rae said in his Q and A video about him telling parents to send their kids to Hamilton. Having nice showers and good quality hangers is great but ultimately parents want their kids to emulate James Mccarthy in terms if earnings more than they want them to emulate the Sean Kelly and Jason Naismiths of the game.

Because it's not the facility that matters. Its the quality of the player coming through the system.

Look at what Alex Rae said in his Q and A video about him telling parents to send their kids to Hamilton. Having nice showers and good quality hangers is great but ultimately parents want their kids to emulate James Mccarthy in terms if earnings more than they want them to emulate the Sean Kelly and Jason Naismiths of the game.

How much longer can Hamilton play the James McCarthy card? They haven't brought through any youth players since billy Reid left. Kelly, Baird and Mallen will bring the club money in at some point.

How much longer can Hamilton play the James McCarthy card? They haven't brought through any youth players since billy Reid left. Kelly, Baird and Mallen will bring the club money in at some point.

For as long as the lad is playing and earning money. BTW you are talking shite. Norwich paid £1m for a young Accies left back last season and there has been plenty come through the Accies system under Neal and Canning. Its somewhat embarrassing that you don't know this.....

Its embarrassing Stuart that you didn't know that the Accies left back actually went to West Ham couldn't get into the first team squad and is now on loan at a lower league club.

Aye....I got the wrong club. It doesnt change the point though. Accies are still selling players to the Premiership for large amounts of money

For as long as the lad is playing and earning money. BTW you are talking shite. Norwich paid £1m for a young Accies left back last season and there has been plenty come through the Accies system under Neal and Canning. Its somewhat embarrassing that you don't know this.....

The point being he left Hamilton many years ago. Also for your information it was Reid who introduced the boy hendrie into the first team. Not aware of any who have made any real break through under Neal or canning.

The point being he left Hamilton many years ago. Also for your information it was Reid who introduced the boy hendrie into the first team. Not aware of any who have made any real break through under Neal or canning.

Reid left Hamilton in 2013 so it's nice you've given then a chance. Hendrie main mentor at Accies was Alex Neil who became manager and Canning - another former youth coach - sold him.

Reid left Hamilton in 2013 so it's nice you've given then a chance. Hendrie main mentor at Accies was Alex Neil who became manager and Canning - another former youth coach - sold him.

I bow to your superior Hamilton knowledge. Thought Reid was still there more recently than 2013. Think their ex head of youth would have been hendries biggest influence overall. That's why I think David longwell is a big loss to us. David has brought plenty through the ranks and has had a positive influence on those lads He has at least done as well as any other head of youth.

I bow to your superior Hamilton knowledge. Thought Reid was still there more recently than 2013. Think their ex head of youth would have been hendries biggest influence overall. That's why I think David longwell is a big loss to us. David has brought plenty through the ranks and has had a positive influence on those lads He has at least done as well as any other head of youth.

Alex Neil was Hamiltons equivalent of David Longwell until he took over as manager. He was replaced in the youth role by Canning who also replaced him as first team coach.

I'm not arguing with you over the value of Longwell. He's a very decent coach and he'll do very well in the US. The only criticism I'd have of Longwell would be in recruitment and in the structure St Mirren tied themselves into. They could have done something far more expansive and self financing but instead bought into the various pro youth structures instead. Whether that was ever Longwells own decision or not is something I can only speculate on.