David Longwell Leaving The Club

Drew

For as long as the lad is playing and earning money. BTW you are talking shite. Norwich paid £1m for a young Accies left back last season and there has been plenty come through the Accies system under Neal and Canning. Its somewhat embarrassing that you don't know this.....

No, it's somewhat embarrassing that the young left back that Norwich paid £1m for, according to you, was Tony Andreu. A 26 year old French attacking midfielder who not only wasn't a product of Hamiltons youth system but in fact played for Livingston before he signed there. Oh and incidentally, it was paid by Alex Neil who had just left Hamilton for Norwich himself. They'd have never commanded thay sort of fee otherwise.

Stephen Hendrie was the left back, he signed for West Ham and the fee was nowhere near £1m. Perhaps with performance related add ons it will be one day but considering it was as part of a pre-contract agreement,there's no chance a seven figure sum was exchanged.

If you're going to accuse someone of talking shite, make sure you're not talking shite yourself first.

No, it's somewhat embarrassing that the young left back that Norwich paid £1m for, according to you, was Tony Andreu. A 26 year old French attacking midfielder who not only wasn't a product of Hamiltons youth system but in fact played for Livingston before he signed there. Oh and incidentally, it was paid by Alex Neil who had just left Hamilton for Norwich himself. They'd have never commanded thay sort of fee otherwise.

Stephen Hendrie was the left back, he signed for West Ham and the fee was nowhere near £1m. Perhaps with performance related add ons it will be one day but considering it was as part of a pre-contract agreement,there's no chance a seven figure sum was exchanged.

If you're going to accuse someone of talking shite, make sure you're not talking shite yourself first.

I've already admitted I got the club wrong but the compensation package - £1m - is exactly what West Ham think they've agreed for the player, and what Hamilton Accies believe they sold him for. Maybe you know better.....rolleyes.gif Even if you do though "goose" point is still a load of shite. Hamilton Accies have still sold on more players to the English Premiership in the thirteen months than St Mirren have EVER done!

Edited by Stuart Dickson

For as long as the lad is playing and earning money. BTW you are talking shite. Norwich paid £1m for a young Accies left back last season and there has been plenty come through the Accies system under Neal and Canning. Its somewhat embarrassing that you don't know this.....

West Ham - Stephen Hendrie

Really hard to judge whether or not Longwell's been a success, in terms of money recouped from selling on our young players it's not been great but perhaps that's been down to the club not striking/selling when the iron was hot although in the case of Kenny McLean it was unfortunate that he got injured in two successive January windows. Against that you've got to balance the likes of Kelly & Naismith who both came through the youth system and seemed SPFL class players when they broke into the first team a couple of season ago.

One point that I've made before is whether the post should be permanent or fixed term, I'd prefer a 5 year contract, longer than those generally awarded to a First Team coach reflecting the longer term nature of youth development, but not permanent.

Anyway good luck to the guy.

You could be right but why advertise it on the official site. Be just as well asking the other coaches directly.

True. Maybe the other coaches don't have their UEFA Elite Youth A Licence although it would seem strange to me if the club chose to reject a good candidate on the basis of then not holding a certificate that they could get at a 25 day course. It's not as though the SFA don't have contingencies in place for that kind of situation. St Mirren would not lose their elite status whilst a new recruit becomes qualified.

Maybe the job would appeal to the likes of Andy Smith - a guy I've got quite a bit of time for.

That would make the most sence .

Some continuity is what is needed .

You only have to look at how well the 20's have been doing this season .

If it's not broken , why try and fix it .

Is it working though?

Now I'm not saying it isn't but what do we require from a youth set-up? We seem to have a set up which produces pretty football, youngsters playing "the correct way" but does that do us any good as a club. As others (notably The Cap'n) have noted in the past one or two exceptional players in five years might be worth more than 5 successive winners of their age groups.

I may be a bit of a dinosaur but I reckon throwing in two pairs of football boots (black naturally) to as group of 11 youngsters and selecting the two willing to fight hardest to get them might be less effort and more effective in the long run than 5 years of training. I'm not against youngsters playing football and enjoying themselves but just wonder what we as a club and as a football obsessed nation are getting from it as we continue to slide down the world rankings in the sport.

Having said that as it's inevitable that we continue to have a youth academy then I suppose we should run it as well as possible and hope that we unearth the next the next diamond.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Is it working though?

Now I'm not saying it isn't but what do we require from a youth set-up? We seem to have a set up which produces pretty football, youngsters playing "the correct way" but does that do us any good as a club. As others (notably The Cap'n) have noted in the past one or two exceptional players in five years might be worth more than 5 successive winners of their age groups.

I may be a bit of a dinosaur but I reckon throwing in two pairs of football boots (black naturally) to as group of 11 youngsters and selecting the two willing to fight hardest to get them might be less effort and more effective in the long run than 5 years of training. I'm not against youngsters playing football and enjoying themselves but just wonder what we as a club and as a football obsessed nation are getting from it as we continue to slide down the world rankings in the sport.

Having said that as it's inevitable that we continue to have a youth academy then I suppose we should to run it as well as possible and hope that we unearth the next the next diamond.

I think reverting back to an older standard would make perfect sense. I'd like to see the game follow a system where senior clubs are only allowed to field three teams - the first team, the reserves and just one youth team which would typically be the Under 19's.

If you look at what is happening at Juvenile level there's a lot to be positive about. The SYFA has managed to impose minimum standards on clubs in terms of coaching qualifications, first aiders and in terms of the PVG checks. There's also been the launch and development of the Quality Mark programme which allows parents to identify the better run clubs for their kids to play at. We've also reached record levels of participation in the National Sport at an organised level. Where the game needs help is in pushing coaching and education standards even higher and in terms of commercial operations so that these clubs can better finance themselves to hopefully get their own facility in the longer term.

What I would like to see happen is for clubs like Motherwell, Hamilton, St Mirren, etc working within their local communities to share coaching experience and to assist with the commercial element of the game - none of which needs to cost the senior club any money. In return the senior clubs would improve their intelligence on what is happening locally. Who the best young talents are, where the best coaches are, as well as forging much closer links with people in their local community. More importantly that structure would mean we are moving away from a business practice where youth development is draining money and resources out of the game, and into an area where it all becomes far more sustainable and where resources can properly be directed at facilities that could be used by all.

I don't think St Mirren are likely to be innovative here though. I'd expect to see the club to plump for some sort of continuity at least whilst the funding from the SFA remains in place.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly McManus and James Grady both paisley boys would be decent appointments as these guys are grass roots guys and know where to look locally from players. Instead of taking everyone else's cast offs

Sure I saw a post somewhere the other day announcing James Grady was leaving his post with the SFA so I guess you could put 2+2 together there and there is a good chance he might be involved.