Plastic Pitches, Stay And Play Or Go Away

I was at the St Mirren game today and I noticed that the grass on the pitch is about as rare at the moment as hair on my head. My mind was cast back to this thread and claims about balls not running true on plastic pitches and I could see numerous ruts and divots across the Paisley pitch. Indeed in the goalmouth it looked like someone had been digging in the mud with a JCB. Then the game started, f**k all that could pass as "football" was played and senior full time professional football players like Shankland and Langfield struggled all day to find a player with a single pass. Thank Christ the match was played on an award winning version of the players preferred surface. f**k knows just how shite they really would have been on plastic

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Oaksoft your a plonker. Guys son had taken a terrible injury and that's ur response.

Yes.

Injuries like that occur both on grass and plastic.

Like Faraway says above, dont rush to assume that RIS is telling the truth about anything.

I would offer that advice as a general life lesson. People lie and exaggerate. They do it for a range of reasons from wanting money right the way through to wanting to win an argument. On another thread Dickson is using his own divorce to score points against the SNP.

People lie. Take EVERYTHING with a pinch of salt. Especially when you hear it from an anonymous poster on a forum.

Usually we learn this at a fairly early age but it seems some are destined to be fooled their entire adult lives.

Edited by oaksoft

I've twisted my knee in bed before, but that's another matter, no need to ban the bed. Could have been in the car, on the grass or on the plastic, no great medical directive either way.

This synthetic pitch non sense, it really grinds my gears. It is simply another dilution to the games presentation. In a sport where image is important , wtf are we playing at putting pro teams on the plastic. The non sense justifications for bringing it into the game are feeble attempts to garner a few bob more for a provincial clubs coffers from the local populace aka 'the community'.

Freezing weather and snow still puts the game off as does wind and inclement rain. Also there is no great standard enforced across the leagues that stipulates the mandatory requirements of synthetic pitches adopted to any constitution that I am aware of, in terms of colour, depth, blade thickness and length, tolerance and resistance, technical build, sub bases, costs blah de blah. de blah. ( I'm sure someone will correct me though ) Hence I can understand Wisharts wee blast about the shabbier bin end versions of the surface is to a degree correct.

I just think, and its my opinion, that introducing these synthetic surfaces across the footballing leagues is just bollocks. It sends out completely the wrong signal and fundamentally changes the game and peoples attitude to it. Frankly , a lot easier you would think, to play the game on grass, in a period in the calendar with a historically better weather window.

More tinkering around the edges, ffs , it just degrades the game even further in my opinion. Synthetic surfaces are for indoor bowls, not football. If it is a true and consistant ball roll you are looking for , play snooker.

I'm sure at one time fitba used to be simple, a ball, a grassy pitch, two teams , a venue. We don't seem to want that any more. Imo that's a shame, maybe its me, I just cannae handle change.

All 3G pitches used in senior leagues across Europe are subject to at least 5 random quality tests per season. Judging bounce height at 50 locations on unreal pitch, roll length at 50 locations and roll deviance at 50 location. Fail any one of these 150 point tests and the pitch is a potential fail.

Technology is obviously improving year on year.

The artificial pitches these days are far better than they were 10 years ago. The artificial pitches in 10 years will be far better than those today.

We are approaching the tipping point in terms of the benefits and quality of the pitches outweighing the negatives, so they will only become more and more common. In fact i don't think there will be any senior clubs in Scotland with a grass pitch in 20 years.

Having seen the quality of the 'grass' pitches we have, I'd far prefer to have an plastic pitch where at least we could maybe see some fitba played instead of hoofball on the bobbly mud fields.

Was at Kilmarnock for the rugby on Friday, 30 blokes going hell for leather on a plastic diving about on it, with no apparent issues. Yet the jessies from Rangers were whining about it! Plastic pitches are seen as they way forward at lower levels in rugby with hybrid pitches (which they now have at Murrayfield) too expensive for clubs to afford.

Having seen the quality of the 'grass' pitches we have, I'd far prefer to have an plastic pitch where at least we could maybe see some fitba played instead of hoofball on the bobbly mud fields.

Was at Kilmarnock for the rugby on Friday, 30 blokes going hell for leather on a plastic diving about on it, with no apparent issues. Yet the jessies from Rangers were whining about it! Plastic pitches are seen as they way forward at lower levels in rugby with hybrid pitches (which they now have at Murrayfield) too expensive for clubs to afford.

Anyone watching Sportscene this week will know top flight SPFL matches are not being played on grass this year. How can anyone argue the pitch at Firhill is better than the pitch at Rugby Park or New Douglas Park.

3G pitches are far better than they were in the 80s, and like it or not, they are played on up and down the country by kids of all ages. Many teams train on them, and spend far more time training on them than they do playing on grass - why do that if it is risking injury?

They're here to stay. Many pitches in the Premiership in England are part synthetic, as is Wembley.