Resurgence Of Casuals

Scabby Dug

There was a piss poor article on the BBC Scotland news tonight where all they could muster as evidence was twenty year old plus cctv footage and a wee interview with that Hibs prick from the 80s. All very odd given the beeb gave it the days headline status.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

"In the 1980's you had young men coming from urban areas into city centres to cause large scale disruption involving CS gas, petrol bombs and knives - a huge gang culture," explained Bradley Welsh, a once notorious casual who followed Hibernian.

"What you have now is a bunch of young middle class lads wearing designer clothes and going along seeking high-jinx for self-esteem - there's a huge difference."

Erm....my memory of the 80's were that the casuals of the time were exactly how this Bradley Welsh dafty appears to describe it now. In the 80's the "casual" movement in Scotland was a bunch of kids wearing shite ski jackets, Pringle jumpers, Kickers schoes and Farrah trousers playing chases. In England there was definitely a nasty edge to it but up here there was f**k all to be scared of. Indeed the guys I knew from school who thought they were casuals were more scared of getting dirt on their jumpers cause their Mums would batter them. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Erm....my memory of the 80's were that the casuals of the time were exactly how this Bradley Welsh dafty appears to describe it now. In the 80's the "casual" movement in Scotland was a bunch of kids wearing shite ski jackets, Pringle jumpers, Kickers schoes and Farrah trousers playing chases. In England there was definitely a nasty edge to it but up here there was f**k all to be scared of. Indeed the guys I knew from school who thought they were casuals were more scared of getting dirt on their jumpers cause their Mums would batter them. rolleyes.gif

That's bollox Stuart.

I remember Hibs fans showering the home end of the North Bank with bricks in the mid 80's, Celtic fans throwing golf balls with nails in them down the North bank terracing from within our own end, Airdrie fans smashing an old woman's face leaving her bleeding everywhere and pitched battles in the park.

Nothing to be scared of?

You must be joking.

Edited by oaksoft

That's bollox Stuart.

I remember Hibs fans showering the home end of the North Bank with bricks in the mid 80's, Celtic fans throwing golf balls with nails in them down the North bank terracing from within our own end, Airdrie fans smashing an old woman's face leaving her bleeding everywhere and pitched battles in the park.

Nothing to be scared of?

You must be joking.

I remember the Hibs incident. They were doing what loads of clubs did. The area they got their stones from was eventually grassed over but it was quite a regular thing for stones to hit the roof at the back of the North Bank. The game your talking about one kid got hit by a stone and St Mirren fans ran outside to chase the Hibs fans to the train station. A kid got hurt but it was hardly terrifying. I'd seen worse in the Penilee playground.

The whole casual thing was tame in Scotland. It came AFTER the real hooliganism of the 70s and early 80s that culminated with the disgrace we saw at the Celtic v Rangers Cup Final.

I watched it again last night on the late news and the BBC have been stitched up here. It's Police Scotland's chief basically making a plea for funding. "Football fans" are being used here when what he really means is I don't have the resources to guarantee public safety once the blue cheek are back in the Prem. Of course he can't say that it's going to cost more to keep the two cheeks apart for fear of outraging the sensitive souls so we are all being tarred as having a hooligan problem. Strangely only the BBC gave it star billing ????

Of Course it must be true the BBC said it. !!!!!

Must be down on news last night. There are morons in this world and some of them go to football matches!!

I have not seen any trouble at any St Mirren games since early 90s..... so we must be one of the 7 LOL

In recent years I've seen fighting in Paisley before or after games against Motherwell, Hamilton, Airdrie, Ayr United and St Johnstone.

That's bollox Stuart.

Nothing to be scared of?

You must be joking.

sums you up, total shitebag, keyboard hard man...

Apparently football clubs want to add alcohol at games to this mix.

Sounds a groovy medley mix. So it could be a fruit based buckie laced pitched kicking punch.

Roll up for free drinks and join in with the banging trackie laden yoof, a ninety minute slam, a two sided team event, however extra crews may make guest appearances.

Please attend in smart but casual attire.

Guest TPAFKATS

Morton v St Mirren is still classed as a "catergory A" risk match by the authorities. So we're a "risk club", apparently

I hope there's no alcohol consumption before the game...

You are not sure how violence and alcohol are related?

I am well aware of the link between violence and alcohol. But I am not sure where selling alcohol at a football ground and the alleged resurgence of casual behaviour has a connection.

Unless of course you are inferring that a football casual is more likely to become really mental and cause trouble as a consequence of being able to purchase a watered down lager at the game instead of his bottle of Ribena poured in to a plastic cup.