St Mirren V Dumbarton Championship 20/2/16

shull

I do find it incredible that every time you think we cannot play worse we do. Thank god Dumbarton were even worse. We dominated them despite being unable to simply pass to one another, get in the box, or put a decent cross in. Goal was well worked, Baird was immense in second half and the other youngsters impressed. But it is beyond my understanding how the rest of the team can be so inept. I honestly feel sorry for Rae he needs a big clear out this summer. I never thought l could feel this way after three home wins on the bounce. Professional footballers you are having a laugh.

I don't really understand this, "we only won cos [insert other team who are as shite as we are] are shite."

We can only beat what is put in front of us and we have now beaten the last three teams to come to St Mirren Park. Yes it's not pretty, yes it's not particularly gutsy, no I don't want us to perform like that every match, yes I'd expect us to improve as time goes on. But to say we only won because Dumbarton are shite is nonsense. We won because we were the better team. As long as we continue to be the better team, we'll continue to win.

We didn't "just win cos Dumbarton are shite". We won because we were better. That's all we ever need to be.

We only ever need to be better than Dumbarton?

Another poor game, but we won which is the most important thing. I though McAllister had a decent debut and considering he is very young, he could have a bright future.

The weak link in the team for me is Agnew. I really hope Alex Rae doesn't waste a wage by resigning him for next season. He offers nothing imo.

Great to see Goodwin back and get the three points.

I don't really understand this, "we only won cos [insert other team who are as shite as we are] are shite."

We can only beat what is put in front of us and we have now beaten the last three teams to come to St Mirren Park. Yes it's not pretty, yes it's not particularly gutsy, no I don't want us to perform like that every match, yes I'd expect us to improve as time goes on. But to say we only won because Dumbarton are shite is nonsense. We won because we were the better team. As long as we continue to be the better team, we'll continue to win.

We didn't "just win cos Dumbarton are shite". We won because we were better. That's all we ever need to be.

When I saw Religion in the Avatar I almost skipped your post.....probably not the only person to do so ............

Apologies.....

I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. We won because we put the ball in the net once (not counting the disallowed effort), and they didn't. I guarantee you that playing in the same fashion as we did today against Hibs, Falkirk, Raith, hell even Livingston who are below us, and we would have been beaten. Yes you can only beat who's in front of you, but a full time club with St Mirren's profile should be thumping a part time club such as Dumbarton by 3 or more goals, not limping to a 1-0 victory and fortunate to achieve it.

I am NOT one of the boo boys on this forum, I give credit when it's due and have stood up for the team and players against those boo boys many times, but the lack of effort and passion evident today is, in my opinion, unacceptable for our team.

This Dumbarton team are no mugs. They've already beaten us twice this season lets not forget.

In 2016 they have drawn with Dundee and Raith and beaten Livi and QOTS.

Three points today is a good result, no doubt about it. The performance wasn't great, but it's all about winning at this stage of the season.

We were poor today but we won and right now 3 points are all that matters. let's be honest under Ian Murray we were in real trouble of being in the bottom two. Under Rae we look like we can finish mid table as he seems to have them better organised and more difficult to beat.

In his Post Match quotes Alex said: “We wanted to try to bounce back after the disappointment of last week. We thought we did okay last week and probably deserved something from the game. It wasn’t a great spectacle today. I thought the first half was pretty poor and the only bit of quality we managed to do created a couple of chances.

“We’re just trying to encourage them to do that and in the second half we asked for a higher tempo and it was slightly better but there’s obviously room for improvement. In terms of what the boys are bringing to the table in terms of effort I can’t ask for much more.

“I was talking to someone downstairs and I think it’s been a while since they won three home games on the bounce. I think the actual goal was worthy of the three points. I thought it was a brilliant goal, good link up with both strikers and it was a great finish from Shankland.”

Seems to me we have someone who knows what he is doing. We all know the quality is not there but he looks like he will get us out of trouble and I believe he can take us to the top 4 next season.

I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. We won because we put the ball in the net once (not counting the disallowed effort), and they didn't. I guarantee you that playing in the same fashion as we did today against Hibs, Falkirk, Raith, hell even Livingston who are below us, and we would have been beaten. Yes you can only beat who's in front of you, but a full time club with St Mirren's profile should be thumping a part time club such as Dumbarton by 3 or more goals, not limping to a 1-0 victory and fortunate to achieve it.

I am NOT one of the boo boys on this forum, I give credit when it's due and have stood up for the team and players against those boo boys many times, but the lack of effort and passion evident today is, in my opinion, unacceptable for our team.

That's OF type arrogance.

We are where we are.

On the basis of our showings last season, do you think we should be anywhere other than this league?

While in the top league, we never featured in the top half. That is not to say we shouldn't have had ambitions to do so, but we never achieved it.

We absolutely deserved to be relegated, and we must not assume we have a divine right to transcend this league. If we are to achieve promotion, it won't be on the basis that we somehow deserve it, it'll be because we have earned it.

I'm entirely happy with that. It is how it should be.

That's OF type arrogance.

We are where we are.

On the basis of our showings last season, do you think we should be anywhere other than this league?

While in the top league, we never featured in the top half. That is not to say we shouldn't have had ambitions to do so, but we never achieved it.

We absolutely deserved to be relegated, and we must not assume we have a divine right to transcend this league. If we are to achieve promotion, it won't be on the basis that we somehow deserve it, it'll be because we have earned it.

I'm entirely happy with that. It is how it should be.

But you're missing the two key points here, or rather misrepresenting what I've said, which isn't difficult to see.

1. It is absolutely not the same as OF arrogance. OF arrogance is that they should beat EVERYONE by 3 or 4 goals. A club with the comparable budget and training facilities / personnel of St Mirren simply should not badly struggle to beat a part time club. Full stop.

2. None of anything that you or anyone else that replied to me addresses the single fundamental issue I was highlighting and stand by; that there was a lack of effort / intensity / urgency, whatever you want to call it, from the majority of our players today. In the last two games that effort was evident, today it wasn't. I really cannot understand anybody who didn't see that unless they are wearing black and white tinted glasses. No, you cannot turn a bad team (such as last season and the first half of this season) into a good team overnight, but you absolutely CAN demand a proper work ethic overnight. It simply wasn't there today.

It's not pretty , but it's just about working .

What pleased me most today was the saints fan that I spoke to in the court bar before the game today .

Not only had he flown up from London today for the game , he had travelled up for the last 2 postponed games .

With his unrivalled support , coupled with great story of the 59 cup final , it made a dull win over Dumbarton a memorable great day out .

Glad to get the 3 points.

However... by god that was awful. Not an ounce of entertainment or quality on the park. We'd get football shut down with matches like that and unfortunately that's the norm more often than not these days.

Rae needs to absolutely gut this squad in the summer and thankfully he's telling it like it is and not sugar coating it.

I'll pay £20 to watch it most weeks because I'm a fan, but I couldn't recommend it to family or friends... Head to the Clan instead.

But you're missing the two key points here, or rather misrepresenting what I've said, which isn't difficult to see.

1. It is absolutely not the same as OF arrogance. OF arrogance is that they should beat EVERYONE by 3 or 4 goals. A club with the comparable budget and training facilities / personnel of St Mirren simply should not badly struggle to beat a part time club. Full stop.

2. None of anything that you or anyone else that replied to me addresses the single fundamental issue I was highlighting and stand by; that there was a lack of effort / intensity / urgency, whatever you want to call it, from the majority of our players today. In the last two games that effort was evident, today it wasn't. I really cannot understand anybody who didn't see that unless they are wearing black and white tinted glasses. No, you cannot turn a bad team (such as last season and the first half of this season) into a good team overnight, but you absolutely CAN demand a proper work ethic overnight. It simply wasn't there today.

Aye, we were a bit shite today, but please explain to me why we should be sweeping teams aside when we are exactly where we should be. Edited by Drew

I don't want promotion this season,we need another season at this level to get things turned around.

I would love a wee run in the Play Offs tho,finish the season on a high.

I agree 100%, and I actually think Rae will end up getting us to 4th or 5th, because we do have that potential and thankfully are now building up a good lead on the bottom 2. The team just need a kick up the backside after today.

To me the positives of the season so far are that Mallan has come on a lot, Shankland does know his way to goal, Baird is developing well, Webster is leading quite well, and Goodwin is still a rock in midfield. We have a good spine. A bit more effort on a consistent basis will see us win more than we lose.