Disabled Platform For The Main Stand.

This is Div's post from the SMDSA sub-forum;

Got this update today from Iain Laurie at the SMDSA;

Since the January SMDSA meeting Johnny Clark and I have attended two meetings with Brian Caldwell (Chief Executive), Lynn Watson (Ticket Administrator) and Colin Haggerty and Alan Wardrop (both Fans Council) and Iain Brown (Paisley Pumps Ltd )

Phase 1 - Raised platform at rear of main stand

When the Stadium was completed in 2009 it was built to comply with the Gold Standard. However the rules have been altered and because the Stadium does not have a raised viewing platform for 10 wheelchair spectators and carers it has been relegated to Silver Standard. Consequently the Club has decided to install a metal 10 wheelchair and carer platform situated in the press area at the back of the main stand. Access will be through the main doors, up in the lift and out past the PA announcers position.

The club has acquired a quotation for the work from Paisley Pumps Ltd and have applied for a grant from the Scottish Football Partnership and this will be considered by them at their next meeting on 17th February. If this application is successful the work will be carried out during the close season. If it is not successful other types of funding will be pursued. Hopefully we will have good news for you at our next meeting on 22nd February.

The Club intend that the platform will be for the use of and administered by SMDSA members only. We would obviously have to have a meeting in due course to decide on how we would organise the access in order that whatever system we decided would be both transparent and fair. The Club would inform all who apply for wheelchair season tickets at the time of purchase of this facility and the need to become a member of the SMDSA. Presumably this should result in us attracting new members.

Phase 2 - Moveable shelters at the south west and south east corners of the ground

The contractor who has quoted for the raised platform has agreed to investigate the various alternative types of shelter which could be adapted for our needs eg dugout type, bus shelters or bicycle shelters etc. The plan would be that the ground staff who removed the practice goals just before kick off would move the shelters in to position. Wheelchair spectators would purchase their seats as normal but the shelters would be there for use if the weather was particularly bad.

Alan Wardrop is on the board of the St. Mirren Community Trust and has agreed along with me and Johnny to help organise an application for funds from various charitable trusts to cover the costs of the movable shelters.

I trust the above is clear but if you have any queries feel free to contact me.

Regards

Iain Laurie (Secretary - SMDSA)

I find it sad that despite regular fans requests, it took a UEFA demotion from Gold to Silver for Saints to act on this.

The solution was always there... But a damned rating came before the comfort of people with disabilities.

That is shameful.

However... It is now being acted upon and I hope we learn from this and focus on punters over plaudits.

"BuddieinEK"

I find it sad that despite regular fans requests, it took a UEFA demotion from Gold to Silver for Saints to act on this.

The solution was always there... But a damned rating came before the comfort of people with disabilities.

That is shameful.

However... It is now being acted upon and I hope we learn from this and focus on punters over plaudits.

You are quite correct BuddieinEK, both Iain and Johnny have had many indications and promises of cover for the disabled before.

Point 1 Its a pity that cover for disabled people was not even contemplated when the stadium was designed and constructed.

Point 2 until cover is in place then I for one will then, and only then, believe it.

"BuddieinEK"

That is shameful.

You are quite correct BuddieinEK, both Iain and Johnny have had many indications and promises of cover for the disabled before.

Point 1 Its a pity that cover for disabled people was not even contemplated when the stadium was designed and constructed.

Point 2 until cover is in place then I for one will then, and only then, believe it.

The tv gantry was also forgotten about when the stadium was designed- hence why seats had to be taken out of the West stand!

The tv gantry was also forgotten about when the stadium was designed- hence why seats had to be taken out of the West stand!

Wish they had taken aw the f*cking seats oot.

Are these points not things that GLS should have picked up when he was Project Managing the new stadium build? Seems a bit odd no allowance was given for either.

Are these points not things that GLS should have picked up when he was Project Managing the new stadium build? Seems a bit odd no allowance was given for either.

Positioning of seats for people with disabilities was sadly not a legal requirement. The deal was for an SPL compliant stadium.

GLS and Tesco delivered that... Imperfect as it was.

Edited by BuddieinEK

does it cost to join SMDSA?

Wouldn't have thought so.

Sounds more like the club not wanting to deal with the administration of seat allocation etc as demand will surpass supply.

Pass the organising to the voluntary smdsa and the club wash their hands of any complaints /seating issues.

Smart move from the club's perspective. Can pass any press/media enquiries to the smdsa should they arise.

Would have been nice to had this issue sorted during construction with perhaps one of the corners of the south stand being a raised, covered and sheltered area and a ramp up to it perhaps as a nod to Love Street, never mind as along as there is progress now no matter how late it is.

I think its embarrassing and a disgrace that for a stadium so modern, that this was not considered in the blueprints before the thing was signed off and built.

I'm genuinely not having a go, here (as this applies equally to me), but if you have been embarrassed and angry about this, did you ever take any steps to address it with the club?

Me neither.

It has been yet another defecit, and a very poor one at that, but we need to be careful not to be too quick to call out others when we've done hee haw about it ourselves.

I'm genuinely not having a go, here (as this applies equally to me), but if you have been embarrassed and angry about this, did you ever take any steps to address it with the club?

Me neither.

It has been yet another defecit, and a very poor one at that, but we need to be careful not to be too quick to call out others when we've done hee haw about it ourselves.

I feel that if it was an issue which personally affected my match day experience, I would have had approached the club. I just feel it was a very amateurish thing to miss when the plans were originally set-out by the architects prior to building the stadium. Yes, they designated a wheelchair section, but front row where there is no shelter from the elements to me seems like it was an afterthought.

Who was in overall charge of over seeing the building of the stadium was it not Gordon Scott.

Its easy to point the finger when so many things are going on when a stadium is being built. Obviously this is being corrected in other words the club have listened and are acting.