Where Is Scotland

Isle Of Bute Saint

Why do we still need Scottish bank notes? I noticed that daft Welsh Nat lass moaning on Question Time that Wales is the only part of the UK without bank notes proving that Wales really is 50 years behind civilisation.

We're moving towards a cashless society and with RBS and HBOS both struggling financially and with Clydesdale Bank staff concerned about their growing exposure to the markets now they aren't backed by NAB maybe it's time we ditched this stupid requirement for those banks to print notes at their cost to perpetuate some stupid romantic notion of nationalism.

Must admit I don't feel more Scottish because of Bank Notes.

They are not accepted everywhere is the biggest problem. Running the Bond on the ship we take US Dollar , Euro , Reas , Sterling. When some crew ask for Sterling they always hand back the Scottish notes telling me they are not accepted at home in Poland, Romania , Latvia , Ukraine. They only want Bank Of England.

So why don't we have just a UK note until Scotland gets its Independence.

Anyway never mind what we should or should not have what about this person not knowing where Scotland is.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Why do we still need Scottish bank notes? I noticed that daft Welsh Nat lass moaning on Question Time that Wales is the only part of the UK without bank notes proving that Wales really is 50 years behind civilisation.

We're moving towards a cashless society and with RBS and HBOS both struggling financially and with Clydesdale Bank staff concerned about their growing exposure to the markets now they aren't backed by NAB maybe it's time we ditched this stupid requirement for those banks to print notes at their cost to perpetuate some stupid romantic notion of nationalism.

Actually I have some sympathy for this view.

The easiest way to avoid problems is to stop using cash.

It'll probably sort itself out in another decade when I suspect paying by cash will be seen as odd.

Must admit I don't feel more Scottish because of Bank Notes.

They are not accepted everywhere is the biggest problem. Running the Bond on the ship we take US Dollar , Euro , Reas , Sterling. When some crew ask for Sterling they always hand back the Scottish notes telling me they are not accepted at home in Poland, Romania , Latvia , Ukraine. They only want Bank Of England.

So why don't we have just a UK note until Scotland gets its Independence.

Anyway never mind what we should or should not have what about this person not knowing where Scotland is.

Years ago I had a problem at a bank in Madrid when the bank clerk was wanting to give me the lrish punt rate on my Scottish note . I was pointing to the word sterling on the note and she kept repeating Irelandes . I then asked for the chief , who came out and told the clerk to honour my notes with the superior sterling rate .

The clerk still refused to complete the transaction and the chief , completed it himself . I do hope she wasn't disciplined over it. .

On another occasion at the Bank of Bilbao they not only happily did the transaction but gave me a better rate than sterling .Musht have been shome mishtake. .

ETA that bitch at the first bank certainly knew where Scotland was , most definitely. .punk.gif

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Actually I have some sympathy for this view.

The easiest way to avoid problems is to stop using cash.

It'll probably sort itself out in another decade when I suspect paying by cash will be seen as odd.

I have no sympathy at all, the reason the banks are struggling is because a lot of their scams have been exposed. The fact that some stores in England will no accept Scottish tender again begs the question why the hell we have anything to do with England

I have no sympathy at all, the reason the banks are struggling is because a lot of their scams have been exposed. The fact that some stores in England will no accept Scottish tender again begs the question why the hell we have anything to do with England

This is nothing to do with the banks. It happened in a shop.

As for your second sentence, the rather obvious answer is that despite a huge effort, Scotland clearly voted to remain part of the UK.

20 years ago this issue was something to get worked up about.

Now though? Nah! I can't muster any sort of emotion at all.

Take your cards and visit an English cash machine if you really need cash.

Plenty of other things to get worked up about.

Edited by oaksoft

As for your second sentence, the rather obvious answer is that despite a huge effort, Scotland clearly voted to remain part of the UK.

I'm all for independence however I hope there is not a vote soon as the debate was done to death even to the extent where me and the wife went to talks from none political speakers though interestingly my wife changed her mind from wanting to stay in the UK to voting yes through these talks.

If England votes to leave the EU and Scotland votes to stay in the EU then the whole independence debate will come to the fore again. This forum will go into melt down Zzzz !

Exactly. Its hard to work out which of the three in this story are the most stupid. Is it the Shop Assistant, working for a company well known for buying stock from factories that exploit child labour, who refused to accept a bank note she didn't recognise? Is it the customer of the morally bankrupt store, who rather stupidly took Scottish banknotes to England despite there having been loads of publicity on this topic where it's been made perfectly clear that shops are not obliged to accept Scottish bank notes? Or is it the politician who is going to waste valuable parliamentary time trying to kick the arse out of it instead of telling her constituent it's a non story and to grow the f**k up.

Its sad that once again the Natsis on here are also seeking to use this issue to divide the nation and to incite conflict and trouble with our dear English friends. The SNP really are Scotlands version of the BNP right enough. Xenophobic, racist and sectarian through and through.

I'm all for independence however I hope there is not a vote soon as the debate was done to death even to the extent where me and the wife went to talks from none political speakers though interestingly my wife changed her mind from wanting to stay in the UK to voting yes through these talks.

If England votes to leave the EU and Scotland votes to stay in the EU then the whole independence debate will come to the fore again. This forum will go into melt down Zzzz !

Glad to see Mrs IoBS is the brains of your household.

I always thought the Scottish banks did not need to print their own notes, just something they do to preserve their Scottish identity unsure.png To anyone moaning about the English not wanting ours notes, would you accept an Northern Ireland note in your change ?

Edited by renfrew

The simple solution to all this Scotland /England pish , would be for the Scottish Government to annex England , you know , turn into a vassal state , simple. .

I always thought the Scottish banks did not need to print their own notes, just something they do to preserve their Scottish identity unsure.png To anyone moaning about the English not wanting ours notes, would you accept an Northern Ireland note in your change ?

I take quite a few Irish notes,usually on Airport jobs.I've never had a problem getting rid of them locally.

Down here the Shops/ bars taxis etc accept notes from anywhere in the uk and other channel islands. No questions no fuss no embarrassing situations. The reluctance/ refusal to take notes from Scotland etc in England has always been an opportunity to score a small political point. Thankfully the system here gives two fingers to such pettiness and recognises that sterling is sterling.

I find it strange that it is always put that way. Why is it never "If England votes to stay in and Scotland votes to leave"? It might be more unlikely, but not impossible.

Because the SNP knows that it needs not only Euro handouts to help minimise the massive deficit in the Indy budget... but a massive increase in immigration too to bolster the workforce and pension pot to help piss in the wind at the deficit.

The White Paper clearly identified that an Independent Scotland could only work with increased immigration (and it still showed a deficit at that... and let's not even mention the price of you know what!)

I'm all for independence however I hope there is not a vote soon as the debate was done to death even to the extent where me and the wife went to talks from none political speakers though interestingly my wife changed her mind from wanting to stay in the UK to voting yes through these talks.If England votes to leave the EU and Scotland votes to stay in the EU then the whole independence debate will come to the fore again. This forum will go into melt down Zzzz !

To be honest I am in the same boat.

As much as I want independence it is time to put it to bed for a while.

I find it strange that it is always put that way. Why is it never "If England votes to stay in and Scotland votes to leave"? It might be more unlikely, but not impossible.

I was thinking this yesterday.

All this pish about Scotland being a more moral country than England might well look a bit stupid if we are the only home nation to vote No.