St Mirren V Falkirk 1/3/16 A Tuesday Night Ffs

shull

Just in from the game, though we played out a decent performance in what was at times a scrappy game.

The defence has improved which is echoed by Webster constantly talking baird throughout the whole game,

both, were for me excellent as were Watson and Irvine.

rocco had a decent game in the middle but stevie mallan why over indulge wee lad, do the simple things!

great to see more energy and determination and a bit of fight from us something that has been lacking under murray.

thought we actually had a few decent penalty claims and either team could have won it.

At the end it was end to end stuff.

overall happy enough with a point.

decent performance,lack of quality,agree gow looked good when he came on ,baird played well including 1 fantastic bit of defending same could be said of Watson,gallacher energy is great but his football is poor,shankland does little but must be good in training as rea thinks he is great ,the rest are 5 out of 10,,,falkirk were not very good either

Just in from the game, though we played out a decent performance in what was at times a scrappy game.

The defence has improved which is echoed by Webster constantly talking baird throughout the whole game,

both, were for me excellent as were Watson and Irvine.

rocco had a decent game in the middle but stevie mallan why over indulge wee lad, do the simple things!

great to see more energy and determination and a bit of fight from us something that has been lacking under murray.

thought we actually had a few decent penalty claims and either team could have won it.

At the end it was end to end stuff.

overall happy enough with a point.

Agree about the defence.

Was lovely to see that after one really excellent recovery and intervention from young Baird against cheating wee shite Baird, three senior players quickly came over and praised him! TEAM SPIRIT! When did we last see it plainly evidenced like that.

Defensively, Irvine was ok... but I was really disappointed with his distribution throughout the match. He needs to up his game to make the shirt his own IMO.

Quinn did a power of work, but is the kind of player it is far too easy to undervalue and miss the contribution of. He ended up covering for Mallan who had one of those games. I would actually have hooked Mallan after an hour and brought Goodwin on, as a Goodie/Quin midfield would have stood up to and nullified the bullying tactics of the cheating Bairns!

I'd also have replaced Shankland with Thommo after an hour as it just wasn't happening for Shanks.

For all my minor gripes, I would have taken a point beforehand and was happy with the way we battled as a team.

Onwards and upwards.

The Raevolution continues!

Agree about the defence.

Was lovely to see that after one really excellent recovery and intervention from young Baird against cheating wee shite Baird, three senior players quickly came over and praised him! TEAM SPIRIT! When did we last see it plainly evidenced like that.

Defensively, Irvine was ok... but I was really disappointed with his distribution throughout the match. He needs to up his game to make the shirt his own IMO.

Quinn did a power of work, but is the kind of player it is far too easy to undervalue and miss the contribution of. He ended up covering for Mallan who had one of those games. I would actually have hooked Mallan after an hour and brought Goodwin on, as a Goodie/Quin midfield would have stood up to and nullified the bullying tactics of the cheating Bairns!

I'd also have replaced Shankland with Thommo after an hour as it just wasn't happening for Shanks.

For all my minor gripes, I would have taken a point beforehand and was happy with the way we battled as a team.

Onwards and upwards.

The Raevolution continues!

i agree, i thought Goodwin and rocco in the same team could have worked tonight but theres no doubt in mallans goal threat

so, he is hard to leave out/sub

i actually think shankland was doing ok but was on the wrong end of the referee's decisions and when he was yellow carded his head wasn't in it it seemed.

interesting next few matches ahead...

I thought it was a decent game. Baird recovery after being caught out position was superb but the best St Mirren moment in the game was Watson covering tackle when Baird slipped. Its been a very long time since I've seen a St Mirren full back do that much to cover. Brilliant stuff.

Best Saints chance fell to Mallen in the first half. All he had to do was get it on target and he ballooned it.

I thought it was a decent game. Baird recovery after being caught out position was superb but the best St Mirren moment in the game was Watson covering tackle when Baird slipped. Its been a very long time since I've seen a St Mirren full back do that much to cover. Brilliant stuff.

Best Saints chance fell to Mallen in the first half. All he had to do was get it on target and he ballooned it.

yes, watson's challenge, he seems to be a decent player at this level

If anyone is good with numbers. Had the team under murray taken as many points as under rae where would we be sitting roughly?

EDIT: Tried and got to somewhere in the region of 48 points. Clear 4th and thats without deducting any from others. im crap at ma sums

At least this past few months has been more enjoyable than the season start and the last few years in the SPL. Kinda exciting knowing every game could end up with any team on top.

Rae has averaged 1.6 points per game. Extrapolating that over the season would give 41.6, in the interests of pessimism (this B&W Army after all) we'll call it 41 points. This would have had us clear in fourth. Gives us plenty of hope for next term I think.

I'm pretty sure Rae would have had us in the promotion playoffs if he had been appointed in the summer. Then again, so would any half competent manager.

Sadly, we got the wrecking ball that was Ian Murray and because of that appointment we will almost certainly not make them this year.

Next year though...

Edited by TopCat

Best I've seen us play since Rae came in. Another day would have seen us bag a couple.

If anyone is good with numbers. Had the team under murray taken as many points as under rae where would we be sitting roughly?

EDIT: Tried and got to somewhere in the region of 48 points. Clear 4th and thats without deducting any from others. im crap at ma sums

At least this past few months has been more enjoyable than the season start and the last few years in the SPL. Kinda exciting knowing every game could end up with any team on top.

Yeah, we would be 4th on 42 points. As you say though, other teams would then be on less but you can't really work that out.

Probably a better estimate is form over the last 10 games. We are 3rd after the Zombies and Falkirk.

I'm pretty sure Rae would have had us in the promotion playoffs if he had been appointed in the summer. Then again, so would any half competent manager.

Sadly, we got the wrecking ball that was Ian Murray and because of that appointment we will almost certainly not make them this year.

Next year though...

Win on Saturday against Raith and we are still in with a chance , outside chance but still a chance.

When Rae took over it was all about consolidation with one eye on players for next season. Here we are me at least saying there is an out side chance of 4th place. Rae has done a great job lets not forget what a terrible mess Ian Murray had us in. Imagine there will be a major clear out in the summer

Next year though...

I hope so, but we still have a few key signings to make this summer to maintain / improve the squad.

Shankland probably won't be here, same for Thommo so in my view we'll need two forwards. Mallan will be away, Howieson and Agnew probably punted as they are pish so we'll need a few midfielders too.

Also need to factor in that Webster and Goodwin will be a year older...

I hope so, but we still have a few key signings to make this summer to maintain / improve the squad.

Shankland probably won't be here, same for Thommo so in my view we'll need two forwards. Mallan will be away, Howieson and Agnew probably punted as they are pish so we'll need a few midfielders too.

Also need to factor in that Webster and Goodwin will be a year older...

With thoughts turning to contract renewals, don't be surprised if Alan Gow manages to fit in a couple of decent performances over the next few weeks. This may be enough to lead to calls for him to be given another year, due to the continual hope that he'll be great at this level if we can keep him fit.

I think Rae will be experienced enough to spot a wage thief when he sees one.

With thoughts turning to contract renewals, don't be surprised if Alan Gow manages to fit in a couple of decent performances over the next few weeks. This may be enough to lead to calls for him to be given another year, due to the continual hope that he'll be great at this level if we can keep him fit.

I think Rae will be experienced enough to spot a wage thief when he sees one.

I agree, Thommo's days are numbered.

Best I've seen us play this season. Baird was outstanding. Refereeing was appalling but agree with many comments concerning light midfield and quality of decision making in last third of field. Haven't heard such an excited west stand in a while. Stewart also put in a good shift. Canna wait for next season. Though l seem to recall saying the same thing in March last year.