Being A Christian

Isle Of Bute Saint

At my work the top boss is a Christian he prays before us all at the table by clasping his hands praying to himself before eating. Nobody takes the piss and respects his space to do this. However this individual has told me four separate lies catching him out with this. Thought telling the truth was a basic Christian rule. Feel very disappointed in this person to the point can't trust him

Although brought up a Christian I do not practice it though one quality it tought me was right from wrong. The hprocacy of religious people for me is a big let down though should I be surprised probably not. No wonder church attendances are falling on Christian based religion.

Me myself, I would probably ask him why he prays but also tell lies. I myself was brought up a Christian but I can't stand the Hypocacy of religion so choose not to follow but do respect other peoples beliefs.

Who knows if you ask it could lead to a very interesting conversation and you might then find out why he has lied.

At my work the top boss is a Christian he prays before us all at the table by clasping his hands praying to himself before eating. Nobody takes the piss and respects his space to do this. However this individual has told me four separate lies catching him out with this. Thought telling the truth was a basic Christian rule. Feel very disappointed in this person to the point can't trust him

Although brought up a Christian I do not practice it though one quality it tought me was right from wrong. The hprocacy of religious people for me is a big let down though should I be surprised probably not. No wonder church attendances are falling on Christian based religion.

Why would you hold a Christian to a higher standard than you would anyone else? Is it only Christians that disappoint you if they lie whilst Muslims, Jews, Druids, Jedi's and Atheists can con you any time they want?

Personally I look for the same moral standards from everyone regardless of their faiths or their beliefs. That's why I'm disappointed, if not at all shocked, that some on here would defend an absent parent who is refusing to contribute to her own childs upkeep. Surely that is as basic a case of right and wrong as you can get?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Have you mentioned this to your boss or are you going behind his back to accuse him of hypocrisy?

I remember a boss I had back in the 1980's (yes, I am a very old fart) who was an in-your-face Christian, specifically a member of the 'Plymouth Brethren'. Whenever he was introduced to anyone he would say "hello, my name is ............... , and I am a Christian".

Throughout my working life I never came across anyone more immoral or dishonest as him. A brazen liar who would drop anyone / everyone in the shit to cover his own arse. His workplace behaviour was as un-Christian as you could imagine, a right wee f*ckwit that everybody had to watch because he would stab any one his staff in the back if it made him look better.

Never trust a self-proferssed Christian.

I have a buddie who doesn't believe in God, doesn't drink ,doesn't smoke, doesn't swear (unless under extreme circumstances) and doesn't go to any church. I once said to him that he is the most "Christian" person I know , his response was something like not having to have a belief system to have values . However , I do suspect that he might be an SNP voter so , nobody is perfect after all. .

I work closely with a company who are all Plymouth brethren.On a visit to us we invited one of their fellas out to lunch.He declined saying he could only eat with people who broke bread with him.I told him that i took communion but that did not satisfy his needs.This took me aback and i then went into a heavy discussion about whether he thought he was above other human beings who had christian values also.It would appear from his answers that he did.Needless to say i now order less from them than i did previously as my philosophy is we are all Jock Tamsons bairns regardless of religious beliefs.

Treat people as you would expect to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong.

Have you mentioned this to your boss or are you going behind his back to accuse him of hypocrisy?

Not going behind anyone's back apart from sharing the subject with the forum nobody knows who he is while many here don't know me ether. Sometimes things can be made worse for all. So let it go with the wind and learn from it.

Agree with Ian above that's a comment I quote often at my work when one of the team gets promotion going his won way to another vessel.

Treat people as you would expect to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong.

You mean if I get religion I get money Sex and power. Count me inthumbup2.gif

If it's sex you are after I would direct you towards the Catholic church unless you are interested in sex with a consenting adult.

Alternatively if it's money you could try the Evangelical churches in the USA or try and get a job within the Vatican City.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Edited by oaksoft

But the ninth commandment only specifies lying about your neighbour, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" no other lies are mentioned, so he's fine.

It's the praying thing that gets me.

Christians believe in an infallible God and believe that God has a plan (follows from the "It's all part of God's plan" patter if a child dies, etc.). With God being infallible, his plan must also be infallible. Christians pray to god to ask him to do things ("bless this food" etc.). It follows that God will only do the things asked of him if they are in his infallible plan and won't if they are not. Therefore, if something is in his plan, it happens and if it isn't in his plan, it won't happen, irrespective of whether anyone has prayed for it or not. So, what's the point in praying?

If God is all powerful, why is the Bible full of stories about him getting others to do stuff for him? Is he just a lazy bastard?

I could go on, you only need to ask. smile.png

You have got me started now.

What about the morals of a God so insecure that he (and I agree with Ben Elton that he MUST be a man) demands that you kneel and pray to him as a minimum requirement for escaping a burning hell.

And the fact that all organised religions are man made.

And all religious texts are also written by men. They may well have been on drugs but they are all written by men.

Why are THOSE men to be believed sufficiently to warrant killing those who don't believe them? What's that all about?

Maybe someone can convince me that organised religion isn't the worst thing humans have invented but I doubt it.

I used to be more vocally rabid in my contempt and intolerance of religion.

With age, I have mellowed a little, but only inasmuch as I don't let it bother me a great deal.

I really don't get it, though, not at all, and I despise the way that it is worn as a mask by many people who abuse, exploit, and seek to control others. That doesn't apply to all religious folks, right enough. Some are just a bit needy.

Lots of non religious people don't drink, don't smoke and don't swear, it's got nothing to do with a belief system just lifestyle choices.

Or maybe he tried smoking and didn't like it, can't handle the drink and doesn't have a very large vocabulary (studies have shown that those who swear "in moderation" tend to have the largest vocabularies, with those who don't swear at all tending to have the smallest).

Yes but some of those types , post to excess. .

Sevco v Sellik Cup Final at Hampden

52000 religious fanatics in attendance.

And not a Christian among them.

When we were at Ibrox I nearly always saw Pastor Jack Glass (? Right name?) selling his magazines. I nearly said War Cry but I think that's somebody else. Was the wee pastor a Christian?

When I first left school I worked in an office on St.Mirren Brae. A Plymouth Brethern guy used to call in and he'd have given you the creeps. Uriah Heep but without the charisma. But a hornier shit I've never met. Couldn't leave women alone. He used to goose women all the time but somehow he got away with it. He seemed to sense the type that might complain and gave them a body swerve. And I was told that he had a bit of a harem of his church ladies that he was doing the business with. Made Charlie Sheen look like a monk.

I am an atheist. That is my choice.

Christians, I know many and one or two like to mention it, talk about it, profess it at every opportunity. They are untrustworthy moron's who as well as being incredibly gullible are also quite frankly stupid. I do not trust people who are overtly religious.

Many other people I know are also Christian's. They are good honest people who quietly attend church every week, some help at coffee morning's, some help arrange trips for pensioner's and some just quietly go about there business without mentioning religion unless directly asked. Good honest people.

I particuarly distrust anyone who professes to be a born again Christian. These people often hide behind religion in order to hide some repugnent behaviour in there past. As a lad I was taught that the presbyterian church was the best church in the world and as I grew older (and wiser) i rejected this as a lot of pish. However If I choose to return to my Church of Scotland roots I can and would do so in a quiet and dignified manner. Why would I refer to myself as born again? Why would I ram it down other peoples throats? Why would I bother people by chapping there front doors and telling them about it?

People who conduct themselves in such a way are an insult to our education system and deserve to have faeces thrown at them in the street.

PS Do you really believe that every animal in the world paired up and trotted/flew/slithered/walked etc onto Noah's ark?

Do you really believe that Jesus's maw Mary was a virgin?

Do you really believe that Mary's husband Joseph wasn't pumping her?

Do you really believe in the shitty story about the garden of eden?

Do you really believe that Jesus rose from the dead but looked entirely different?

A man called Charles Darwin proved the bible and all other religious texts to be utter shite.

That is my opinion of course and you are free to believe whatever you wish (rubbish or not), just dont come to my front door and tell me about it!

Guest TPAFKATS

I once heard someone change it to treat people as they expect to be treated which also has a certain relevance.

I'm sure there's a balance to be had, somewhere between the two :-)