Being A Christian

Isle Of Bute Saint

I could be wrong but I don't think Darwin talked about primordial mud. It's not even part of Evolution, it's part of Abiogenesis, for which there is no scientific theory but plenty of scientific hypotheses (primordial mud being just one of them).

Darwin may not have been right about absolutely everything but it appears that he got all the main bits sussed. Science at the very least provides a more logical explanation for our existence than the Bible's explanation of it was all done by The Guy In The Sky.

So why don't scientists agree among themselves about what science says about the origins of life, and why are many scientists also Christians?

Whilst much of the Biblical stuff is just preposterous , much of Darwinian mythology is equally preposterous -like the primordial mud , after several million years , produces a da Vinci or an Archie Gemmill, even - the mud to Man theory simply doesnae compute. .

I'm glad you used the word mythology. A lot of evolutionary theory is not in Darwin's work. That's not not say it's wrong but technically Darwin only ever described the process of speciation i.e dogs evolving from wolves, radial evolution of finches, pointing out the same morphology in bonestructure in vertebrates etc.

ETA Darwin remained a practising Christian right up until he died. I think the Evolution V God debate is manufactured nonsense. The one does not disprove the other.

Edited by insaintee

Not like you to demonstrate that you know f**k all about the subject under discussion but, yep, you've done it again.

That would be Old Testament, and Jewish, not Christian. Jesus is quoted as saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, aye, OK, number 1 is still number 1, but love your neighbour as you would love yourself is more important than the rest. And it goes on to define your neighbour for you. To do otherwise, and call yourself Christian, is, imo, hypocrisy, nothing more, nothing less, and that's the crux of what IOBS is getting at.

Oh I've never claimed to know much about religion. I grew up in a religious family but as I said I turned my back on it. However in this case I used Google and found a Vatican website which listed the commandments in this order. I guess you better go tell the Pope you know more about religion than he does.....rolleyes.gif However, all you've said on here is that IOBS is wrong. According to you Jesus still thinks that having no other God is the number 1 rule.....correct?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Oh I've never claimed to know much about religion. I grew up in a religious family but as I said I turned my back on it. However in this case I used Google and found a Vatican website which listed the commandments in this order. I guess you better go tell the Pope you know more about religion than he does.....rolleyes.gif However, all you've said on here is that IOBS is wrong. According to you Jesus still thinks that having no other God is the number 1 rule.....correct?

At the risk of repeating myself...f**k off, ya troll. A link to an Old Testament book?

And not according to me, according to Jesus as reported in the New Testament. Mark, iirc? It's been a long time....

My only problem with this thread - as stated before - is why single out Christians? Is that the only religion with followers that appear to act in an "ungodly" manner? Or are we just so desperate not to be tagged "racists" that we refuse to have a go at any of the other faiths? Why do you put a higher expectation or a higher level of judgement on a Christian than you do on an atheist, or for that matter on yourself?

I agree with the general consensus of what's being said on here in so far as I was brought up in a religious family and I turned my back on it at an early age because of the hypocrisy that I saw amongst many church goers but to tar every Christian the same seems.....well almost sectarian. They clearly are not all the same, they don't deserve to be tarred as such, and indeed many of the people I know who do have "faith" do so because it comforts them in some way and so long as it's not harming me or my kids I've got no problem in that at all. What's wrong with a widow believing that at some point in the afterlife she'll be reunited with her loved one? What's wrong with a parent who has lost a child believing that the child is being cared for by other fondly remembered relatives in some cloudy afterlife? If that's what allows them some comfort, some sense of having something to live for and to look forward to then whats the problem?

I've got a cousin who is a Church of Scotland minister, my old next door neighbour is a retired Pastor. When I was growing up a close friend of my family was the Rev Stuart Lochrie - look him up - who was an incredible man. All three have been an enormously positive influence on the lives of thousands of people. I don't need to believe in a heaven, hell, a god or the devil to be able to acknowledge that and to be tolerant of their beliefs.

Well well. What an ENORMOUS surprise that you havent actually read the thread.

If you HAD you would have seen many posts talking about all organised religions.

Hate to say this but I agree with the plumber.

If you said I know a Pakistani, Chinese, Communist, Homosexual, Irishman, Pole, Syrian etc. This thread would have been closed straight away and rightly so, What you have done intentionally or otherwise is attack the morals of an entire religion based on the conduct of one individual.

I'm not defending the conduct of the individual, but really the religious persuasions of the individual are not relevant.

Are you seriously saying we cant criticise organised religion?

Give us a break lol.

I remember a boss I had back in the 1980's (yes, I am a very old fart) who was an in-your-face Christian, specifically a member of the 'Plymouth Brethren'. Whenever he was introduced to anyone he would say "hello, my name is ............... , and I am a Christian".

Throughout my working life I never came across anyone more immoral or dishonest as him. A brazen liar who would drop anyone / everyone in the shit to cover his own arse. His workplace behaviour was as un-Christian as you could imagine, a right wee f*ckwit that everybody had to watch because he would stab any one his staff in the back if it made him look better.

Never trust a self-proferssed Christian.

Ok Oaksoft - perhaps you'd care to explain this post? I know you didn't make it but then I didn't specifically accuse you of anything. IOBS was on dodgy ground IMO with his first post. Wilbur goes even deeper and without going back and checking further there's others on here on similarly dodgy ground.

As I've said I don't get why IOBS had to highlight the guys religion, or why he chose to single him out when no doubt he's been lied to hundreds of times over by non Christians.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Whilst much of the Biblical stuff is just preposterous , much of Darwinian mythology is equally preposterous -like the primordial mud , after several million years , produces a da Vinci or an Archie Gemmill, even - the mud to Man theory simply doesnae compute. .

Please tell me that you didnt just compare a piece of scientific work, complete with rigorous proof, with the Bible.

You asked, "Why would I refer to myself as a born-again Christian?"[/size]

"Jesus replied, [/size]‘Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[/size]’" (John 3: 3)[/size]

As for the resurrection of Jesus... The Jewish authorities and Romans accepted the tomb he had been buried in was empty, and they knew which tomb he was buried in, and had guards protecting it. How do you explain the empty tomb, Tedious Tom?[/size]

In fairness most of us cant explain how Paul Daniels tricks work but that doesnt make him the son of God.

Guest TPAFKATS

Oh I've never claimed to know much about religion. I grew up in a religious family but as I said I turned my back on it. However in this case I used Google and found a Vatican website which listed the commandments in this order.

Dickson has found Go...ogle

You do realise that they aren't religions?

Religion is a moral/value judgement call, not an indicator of one's birth origin. In other words, you choose and/or embrace your faith (usually), not where you were born. As such, it isn't unreasonable to expect people to be answerable and accountable for their faith, while it would be in terms of their ethnic and national origin (ETA - or sexuality).

Especially when they use that religion to influence and control public policy and law in a way that affects people who dont believe their pish.

So why don't scientists agree among themselves about what science says about the origins of life, and why are many scientists also Christians?

Because THAT is how science works.

Scientists actually have to provide PROOF of their findings.

Dispute is actively sought and encouraged.

The entire scientific method of peer review is built on it.

Its the polar opposite of ALL organised religions.

As I said above, to be a Christian you have to be "born again", so why say you are a Born Again Christian when just saying that you are a Christian explicitly implies that you are "born again". It's adds no value whatsoever to what you are saying.

Or are you trying to say that there is a difference between a Christian and a Born Again Christian?

All I was doing in quoting John 3: 3 was answering Tedious Tom's question about why anyone would call themselves 'born again' and showing the inspiration lies in a saying / teaching of Jesus.

All I was doing in quoting John 3: 3 was answering Tedious Tom's question about why anyone would call themselves 'born again' and showing the inspiration lies in a saying / teaching of Jesus.

Toms point was that the Bible is a work of pure fiction.

A Perfectly sane position to take.

So you quoting passages from it to refute what he said isnt likely to get you anywhere.

At the risk of repeating myself...f**k off, ya troll. A link to an Old Testament book?

And not according to me, according to Jesus as reported in the New Testament. Mark, iirc? It's been a long time....

He answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all you mind"; and "Love your neighbour as yourself" (Luke 10:27 with Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 6: 5 and Leviticus 19: 18)

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy