Being A Christian

Isle Of Bute Saint

His whole point was that someone who professed to be a Christian and who should therefore be obeying the ten commandments, is breaking one of them regularly. He never said that the reason the guy was lying was because he was a Christian but that he was lying despite being a Christian.

It's not really difficult to understand and it was very clear in his post. It's your understanding of the English language that's at fault here, again.

Yesterday I was lied to. Some prick from Wincanton left a voicemail for my Mother on her mobile phone. He'd been told twice, once by me and once by my sister that she was deaf and that if he needed to get in touch with her he should text her. He even had it written in red on his ledger sheet. I phoned him and rather than simply admit he was a daft prick he attempted to claim he'd never been told. Now I don't know if he was a Christian or not. Frankly it makes no difference. The bottom line is the guy f**ked up and he didn't have the balls to admit to it. Who cares if he says a prayer before dinner or not.

IOBS probably gets lied to hundreds of times a day whether it's his wife telling him he looks smart in his latest outfit, the guys on the boat telling him they like his cooking or the call centre chimp that phones him to tell him that there's compensation he's due for the accident he never had. Does he come on here to complain about them? Nope. Instead he picks on the Christian. He's holding the Christian to a higher standard then everyone else. Why? Has he never been lied to by an Atheist, or a Jew, or a Muslim? Would Wilburs post have survived moderation on this forum had he claimed you can never trust a self proclaimed Jew?

He answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all you mind"; and "Love your neighbour as yourself" (Luke 10:27 with Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 6: 5 and Leviticus 19: 18)

Aye, Matthew, too, I think. It's been a while right enough.

Hypocrisy on the part of "believers" is one of the biggest things that I can't stand about organised religion, and imo Jesus didn't have much time for it either, neatly summed up by the cleansing of the Temple story.

Ok Oaksoft - perhaps you'd care to explain this post? I know you didn't make it but then I didn't specifically accuse you of anything. IOBS was on dodgy ground IMO with his first post. Wilbur goes even deeper and without going back and checking further there's others on here on similarly dodgy ground.

As I've said I don't get why IOBS had to highlight the guys religion, or why he chose to single him out when no doubt he's been lied to hundreds of times over by non Christians.

OBS was on dodgy ground

Please explain , looking forward to this one given your political correct ranting's regarding SNP supporters

Lots of non religious people don't drink, don't smoke and don't swear, it's got nothing to do with a belief system just lifestyle choices.

Or maybe he tried smoking and didn't like it, can't handle the drink and doesn't have a very large vocabulary (studies have shown that those who swear "in moderation" tend to have the largest vocabularies, with those who don't swear at all tending to have the smallest).

F*ck that!

OBS was on dodgy ground

Please explain , looking forward to this one given your political correct ranting's regarding SNP supporters

I think I've made it perfectly clear why I think you were on dodgy ground. It was borderline incitement of religious hatred. I don't think you actually crossed the line but you were approaching it at pace.

Being critical of a political party and it's motives is not an offence yet even if it's something most Natsis would like to see happen.

I think I've made it perfectly clear why I think you were on dodgy ground. It was borderline incitement of religious hatred. .

Oh f**k off with this endless stupidity of yours will you?

In fairness though I did laugh so hard at it that my tea streamed through my nose.

Edited by oaksoft

I'm glad you used the word mythology. A lot of evolutionary theory is not in Darwin's work. That's not not say it's wrong but technically Darwin only ever described the process of speciation i.e dogs evolving from wolves, radial evolution of finches, pointing out the same morphology in bonestructure in vertebrates etc.

ETA Darwin remained a practising Christian right up until he died. I think the Evolution V God debate is manufactured nonsense. The one does not disprove the other.

Actually he didn't.

He stopped going to church when he realised what the implication of his work was in relation to his religious beliefs.

He used to walk his wife to church, she would go in and he would go for a walk in the nearby woods to observe the wildlife.

TT and yourself saying "the whole Bible is a work of fiction" is a convenient way of ending debate.

Its convenient is it?

How about refuting it by showing evidence that it was not written by one or more humans?

Given that so many religious people are willing to kill over this thing you would have thought they could at least be expected to prove the bloody thing is actually based on fact.

There is a story in there that I remember during my early years of Bible school indoctrination where they said Moses stood at the banks of the Red Sea, shut his eyes, went "nnnnnnnnnnhggggggggggg", making a noise familiar to anyone who has had constipation and the ENTIRE SEA OPENED UP LEAVING A TRAIL FOR PEOPLE TO WALK BETWEEN TWO 200 feet walls of water which seemed to defy all known laws of physics.

Are you suggesting this is anything other than a brilliant work of fiction?

Plenty of other stories about God appearing right in front of people all the time via burning bushes etc. but apparently he hasnt been arsed making a single appearance in the thousands of years since. Are you asking us to believe he simply got bored showing up? Or do you accept this MIGHT have been fictitious as well?

Dont even get me started on the virgin birth or the talking snake.

Seriously, how can otherwise intelligent human beings believe this pish instantly without requiring any proof whatsoever and yet remain sceptical of science?

I'm glad you used the word mythology. A lot of evolutionary theory is not in Darwin's work. That's not not say it's wrong but technically Darwin only ever described the process of speciation i.e dogs evolving from wolves, radial evolution of finches, pointing out the same morphology in bonestructure in vertebrates etc.

ETA Darwin remained a practising Christian right up until he died. I think the Evolution V God debate is manufactured nonsense. The one does not disprove the other.

You are correct. Religion has absolutely no business comparing itself to science.

Religion belongs quite rightly in with all the other quackery like astrology, santa clause and the tooth fairy.

I think I've made it perfectly clear why I think you were on dodgy ground. It was borderline incitement of religious hatred. I don't think you actually crossed the line but you were approaching it at pace.

Being critical of a political party and it's motives is not an offence yet even if it's something most Natsis would like to see happen.

What an absolute scream this coming from you. Have seen Oaksoft tear you to shreds last weekend to the point I even felt embarrassed for you. Did you feel embarrassed , not at all. You would defiantly make a fantastic car salesman in some dodgy second hand car showroom with all the shite you spout .

I could be wrong but I don't think Darwin talked about primordial mud. It's not even part of Evolution, it's part of Abiogenesis, for which there is no scientific theory but plenty of scientific hypotheses (primordial mud being just one of them).

Darwin may not have been right about absolutely everything but it appears that he got all the main bits sussed. Science at the very least provides a more logical explanation for our existence than the Bible's explanation of it was all done by The Guy In The Sky.

Maybe no pie in the sky but I believe the missing link is still missing . I think Chuckles Darwin was still way off the mark . .

edited by Tom for grammar and language. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

You are correct. Religion has absolutely no business comparing itself to science.

Religion belongs quite rightly in with all the other quackery like astrology, santa clause and the tooth fairy.

Religion rightly or wrongly is a powerful control of billions of people that many a war has been fought over

I rather like the old religions where nature was the so called God that is believable. There is good and there is evil everything works to a balance. If religions teach the basics of right and wrong then its not a bad thing.

Not sure if I wrote this before. My father never went to church except for weeding and funerals when he passed away it was the salvation army that did the service. Later I asked my mother why was the service not done in the church. My mother told me during the second world war only the salvation army were there to comfort the solders on the front lines. Funny on movies you see ministers and fathers on the front line of some of the old war movies. The power of religion.

What an absolute scream this coming from you. Have seen Oaksoft tear you to shreds last weekend to the point I even felt embarrassed for you. Did you feel embarrassed , not at all. You would defiantly make a fantastic car salesman in some dodgy second hand car showroom with all the shite you spout .

....and I'm not even a Christian :rolleyes:

I certainly wasn't embarrassed and never once felt that Oaksoft had "tore strips off me". He defended the morally indefensible. The fact you applaud that perhaps says all I need to know about you. :rolleyes:

Religion rightly or wrongly is a powerful control of billions of people that many a war has been fought over

I rather like the old religions where nature was the so called God that is believable. There is good and there is evil everything works to a balance. If religions teach the basics of right and wrong then its not a bad thing.

Not sure if I wrote this before. My father never went to church except for weeding and funerals when he passed away it was the salvation army that did the service. Later I asked my mother why was the service not done in the church. My mother told me during the second world war only the salvation army were there to comfort the solders on the front lines. Funny on movies you see ministers and fathers on the front line of some of the old war movies. The power of religion.

Was your Dad a Gardener?

....and I'm not even a Christian rolleyes.gif

I certainly wasn't embarrassed and never once felt that Oaksoft had "tore strips off me". He defended the morally indefensible. The fact you applaud that perhaps says all I need to know about you. rolleyes.gif

There you go again.

Show me where I applaud again making up lies. Here is a wee extract ........ I even felt embarrassed for you.

Parinoyed mate tunnel vision 7 weeks in a confyid space does things to your head. Plus with a crew who don't speak much English. Have toilet roll beside me. LOL. Got your joke mate no worries.

No probs Bud.......just please don't tell us what the toilet roll is for ????