Being A Christian

Isle Of Bute Saint

Guest TPAFKATS

There clearly are plenty "scientific" nutters out there. The obvious one is Dawkins who always comes across as unhinged, But there are others, The likes of David Ike and L Ron Hubbard also fall into this category. And these are only some of the less extreme versions. I once was speaking to the editor of a very prestigious Evolutionary journal who told me that he use to get hate mail telling him that ethnic minorities were a result of humans interbreeding with gorillas. And worse. It's all very well disowning these people, but they are "motivated by science" not religion. A nutter is a nutter regardless of their belief system.

Is L Ron Hubbard a scientific nutter, or a religious nutter?

There clearly are plenty "scientific" nutters out there. The obvious one is Dawkins who always comes across as unhinged, But there are others, The likes of David Ike and L Ron Hubbard also fall into this category. And these are only some of the less extreme versions. I once was speaking to the editor of a very prestigious Evolutionary journal who told me that he use to get hate mail telling him that ethnic minorities were a result of humans interbreeding with gorillas. And worse. It's all very well disowning these people, but they are "motivated by science" not religion. A nutter is a nutter regardless of their belief system.

Your use of nutter is a bit subjective. .

Personally , I think people who believe in a "resurrection of the dead " (yup all of them apparently) or the other lot that proclaim the lost tribe of Israel went to America and then were followed up by Christ himself are effectively in my opinion nutters. .

However , I do believe that Easter should still be called Easter and NOT , Spring holiday. .

Also , I don't think any of the "science " people you mention ever urged people to go and kill their fellow man in the name of some sort of monotheistic superstition . .

Your use of nutter is a bit subjective. .

Personally , I think people who believe in a "resurrection of the dead " (yup all of them apparently) or the other lot that proclaim the lost tribe of Israel went to America and then were followed up by Christ himself are effectively in my opinion nutters. .

However , I do believe that Easter should still be called Easter and NOT , Spring holiday. .

Also , I don't think any of the "science " people you mention ever urged people to go and kill their fellow man in the name of some sort of monotheistic superstition . .

Scientists may have designed weapons of mass destruction, knowing perfectly well their handiwork will be used to kill people.

Scientists may have designed weapons of mass destruction, knowing perfectly well their handiwork will be used to kill people.

A good read on this subject would be the book Napalm: an American biography.

Famous quote from him "I have no right to judge the morality of Napalm just because I invented it."

One scientist responsible for both Napalm and Vitamin K, science does invent bad stuff, and we dont ban science in schools or anywhere else because of this

Edited by rea

A good read on this subject would be the book Napalm: an American biography.

Famous quote from him "I have no right to judge the morality of Napalm just because I invented it."

One scientist responsible for both Napalm and Vitamin K, science does invent bad stuff, and we dont ban science in schools or anywhere else because of this

TBH I am not sure where you guys are going with all this. You dont defend religion by attacking science.

Scientists would certainly have a responsibility but so would the people who elected the politician s who actually directed the use of the weapons . A monotheistic superstition is often used to justify the use also. .

Scientists would certainly have a responsibility but so would the people who elected the politician s who actually directed the use of the weapons . A monotheistic superstition is often used to justify the use also. .

Strange how you always bring things back to linking the blame to religion. There's a lot more votes for politicians if they bang the secular rather than religious drum.

Strange how you always bring things back to linking the blame to religion. There's a lot more votes for politicians if they bang the secular rather than religious drum.

There is nothing wrong with religion but a particular monotheistic one is used to justify an on-going war and another goes hand in hand with the military in this country and has done for an awful long time , pro patria et deo etc. .

Your unwillingness to listen to what others are saying is the root of your problem.

This is not about science versus religion.

Never has been.

The scientific world is excited at the prospect of a potentially big change in this field.

Just as it did when Einstein made his relativity discovery.

Just as it did when Planck, Bohr, Schrodinger and Heisenberg made theirs on quantum mechanics.

How on earth could that possibly compare to religion whose followers have historically resorted to oppression and murder in the event of any challenge to their scriptures?

That's rich - coming from you.

Again this obsession woth science.

We are criticising religion on here. What on earth has science got to do with that?

You're criticising religion for having certain characteristics.

By pointing out that these characteristics are not limited to religion but can be found in science, politics, sport, even followers of music and fashion, we're suggestion that the cause of these characteristics might not be religion but something else.

Fairly straightforward.1eye.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

Well that will be this topic "resurrected" again then.......

....the greatest story ever told.....

...or is that now Leicester winning the EPL?

Discuss

Montpellier winning Ligue Un 2 or 3 years ago?

• 3 months later...