Being A Christian

Isle Of Bute Saint

Guest TPAFKATS

Confucius... isn't he old? Did he really live? Are we sure he really said that? I've yet to hear 1 primary school pupil tell me 1 thing Confucius said in my 18 years of visiting schools. In the last few years I can remember no adult quoting him in conversation either.

Mibees because the primary school kids aren't being indoctrinated and brainwashed by his teachings during mass assemblies?

There are probably more people about just now that know things that Confucius said than know things that Jesus (reportedly) said. What exactly does it prove?

The only thing I was ever told Confucius said was the apocryphal 'man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day'. Oh how we laughed! I suppose I should ask him personally but does Oaky believe only Christians have caused death and human misery? Who first picked up a club and lamped some poor bugger? I bet it wasn't a Christian. Who invented bows and arrows? And gunpowder? Collectively, how many did the following guys annihilate. Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great.(no, not Fergie.) Attila the ***. Julius Caesar. Stalin. Mao Zedong. Hitler. Saddam Hussein. I could go on. How many of them were Christians?

As I've said previously, this has been a really interesting thread and largely conducted with little bombast. If only the same could be said about our St.Mirren content.

The only thing I was ever told Confucius said was the apocryphal 'man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day'. Oh how we laughed! I suppose I should ask him personally but does Oaky believe only Christians have caused death and human misery? Who first picked up a club and lamped some poor bugger? I bet it wasn't a Christian. Who invented bows and arrows? And gunpowder? Collectively, how many did the following guys annihilate. Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great.(no, not Fergie.) Attila the ***. Julius Caesar. Stalin. Mao Zedong. Hitler. Saddam Hussein. I could go on. How many of them were Christians?

As I've said previously, this has been a really interesting thread and largely conducted with little bombast. If only the same could be said about our St.Mirren content.

I didn't say ***. I said NUH backwards. What's wrong with ***?

Guest TPAFKATS

I didn't say ***. I said NUH backwards. What's wrong with ***?

It was banned by div a few years ago when his sphincter got twitchy about being prosecuted over offensive language. Edited by TPAFKATS

The numbers are certainly huge in all of these cases.

And how does history view all these people Rick?

Christianity seems to be getting an easy ride in comparison.

I don't have a problem with anybody choosing their own belief system as long as they don't use it as a rod to persecute those who choose to disagree.

My personal opinion is that if there really was an omniscient, omnipresent and infallible deity, then there would be one true religion followed by all humankind, and that as we were all made in his image there would be no war, murder, rape, famine or disease as he or she would be ever present in the universe and there would be no inclination by us as a species to even consider any of these things.

Therefore I am drawn to a gentle, non militant atheism.

I don't have a problem with anybody choosing their own belief system as long as they don't use it as a rod to persecute those who choose to disagree.

My personal opinion is that if there really was an omniscient, omnipresent and infallible deity, then there would be one true religion followed by all humankind, and that as we were all made in his image there would be no war, murder, rape, famine or disease as he or she would be ever present in the universe and there would be no inclination by us as a species to even consider any of these things.

Therefore I am drawn to a gentle, non militant atheism.

Then man would not learn according to faiths. That is the answer given out that I remember.

Mibees because the primary school kids aren't being indoctrinated and brainwashed by his teachings during mass assemblies?

I'm amused at the suggestion that a chaplain being given a 5 minute spot in an hour-long assembly where most of the time is spent hearing about litter in the playground, reminders not to throw wet toilet roll on to the toilet ceilings or about pupils scoring a goal for the football team or getting a badge at the BB or getting a bronze medal for swimming is seen as a situation where Christians indoctrinate and brainwash kids so terribly well that in the words of IOBS church attendances are falling.

As ever, don't let truth get in the way of a snappy soundbite.

It's far more likely that any indoctrination and brainwashing happens in the opposite direction from the one you suggest.

Last week I helped at a religious observance event for P5-7s in the local area... no evidence was found for any pupils arriving at the event with levels of Bible knowledge suggesting their school years had been spent subjecting them to regular episodes of Christian indoctrination and brainwashing!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

I'm amused at the suggestion that a chaplain being given a 5 minute spot in an hour-long assembly where most of the time is spent hearing litter in the playground or about pupils scoring a goal for the football team or getting a badge at the BB or getting a bronze medal for swimming is seen as a situation where Christians indoctrinate and brainwash kids so terribly well that in the words of IOBS church attendances are falling.

As ever, don't let truth get in the way of a snappy soundbite.

It's far more likely that any indoctrination and brainwashing happens in the opposite direction from the one you suggest.

I think he is saying that indoctrination doesn't happen.

You appear to be agreeing with him.

It certainly used to happen.

I think a large number of us in the 60's and 70's would be taken along to either bible class or some form of church thing on a Sunday.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of kids who were being subjected to that level of indoctrination were unaware that they had any say in the matter.

That's what makes it not just indoctrination but borderline abusive.

will soon see church numbers soaring again.

I know you were using this to take the piss but I fear this may be wishful thinking on the part of religious people.

Christianity is in terminal decline.

We see huge swathes of former churches now used as houses, pubs or simply derelict.

In a way it's a shame because they are nice buildings and there is a quaintness to hearing believers singing hymns as you go past but Christianity is reaping what it has sowed. This is what happens when a religion abuses its position.

Now that Christianity can be dismissed as a fringe religion (and it clearly is as far as the UK is concerned), the more interesting question is how long it will take Islam to go the same way.

Once both are dead religions, the world will be a much better, more tolerant place.

Just hope it happens in my lifetime.

Edited by oaksoft

I know you were using this to take the piss but I fear this may be wishful thinking on the part of religious people.

We see huge swathes of former churches now used as houses, pubs or simply derelict.

In a way it's a shame because they are nice buildings and there is a quaintness to hearing believers singing hymns as you go past but Christianity is reaping what it has sowed. This is what happens when a religion abuses its position.

Now that Christianity can be dismissed as a fringe religion (and it clearly is as far as the UK is concerned), the more interesting question is how long it will take Islam to go the same way.

Once both are dead religions, the world will be a much better, more tolerant place.

Its the biggest religion on the planet.

Decline perhaps in the UK, try visiting a church overseas, certainly no sign of decline there, and to be fair while many churches in the UK are in decline some are booming, a number of them in the West of Scotland

I don't see how anyone could be a Christian and go fight a war . Apart from going against the 6th Commandment(I think) , what about the whole Christian ethos of turn the other cheek ? Certainly, WWl which was fought mainly in Europe was ostensibly fought by one group of "Christians" against another group (with the obvious exception of Jonny Turk.). .

I think all those "powers" in the Great War, whether the Central Powers of the Entene , all claimed to have god on their side. Possibly , many of the combatants thought they were doing the Christian thing too by gassing their fellow human being. State sponsored murder on an industrial scale to achieve the square root of he f**kin haw . Organised Christianity failed the populace big time during that whole period . At the end of the day , was the Czar any better or any worse than old Kaiser Bill or German George. .

Pro Patria et Diem is just a terrible use of phrase . .

I don't see how anyone could be a Christian and go fight a war . Apart from going against the 6th Commandment(I think) , what about the whole Christian ethos of turn the other cheek ? Certainly, WWl which was fought mainly in Europe was ostensibly fought by one group of "Christians" against another group (with the obvious exception of Jonny Turk.). .

I think all those "powers" in the Great War, whether the Central Powers of the Entene , all claimed to have god on their side. Possibly , many of the combatants thought they were doing the Christian thing too by gassing their fellow human being. State sponsored murder on an industrial scale to achieve the square root of he f**kin haw . Organised Christianity failed the populace big time during that whole period . At the end of the day , was the Czar any better or any worse than old Kaiser Bill or German George. .

Pro Patria et Diem is just a terrible use of phrase . .

To be fair Christians have been thinking about this paradox for a very long time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory

The book city of God is worth a read

Edited by rea