Bubbles Gone But Not Forgotten

I'm sure it was a back-heel nutmeg on Chris Waddell but that might be my memory embellishing it.

Brilliant goal at Cappielow and I remember him at Cliftonhill getting a yellow card because a Hamilton player was injured off the pitch, rolled back on to get play stopped and Brian tried to "help" him back off so the game could re-start.

I was at that game as well.

Was that not the one in which Bubbles had a pretty unsavoury health episode and was substituted only for the club to come out during the week stating that he suffered from epilepsy and hadn't been taking his medication?

Also it was Stuart Taylor who dragged the Accies player from the pitch by the feet.

Was that not the one in which Bubbles had a pretty unsavoury health episode and was substituted only for the club to come out during the week stating that he suffered from epilepsy and hadn't been taking his medication?

Also it was Stuart Taylor who dragged the Accies player from the pitch by the feet.

Stuart Taylor... Whatever happened to him?

Remember his nutmeg on Waddle at Love Street, great moment that put the whole circus surrounding him playing for Falkirk in its place.

A shame he never got the chance to go on to the top level.

I remember the shocking news of him dying so young, such a real shame.

Should be remembered with a round of applause tomorrow given we are playing Raith.

It would be appropriate for both clubs to acknowledge his passing, given that we are playing tomorrow. I hope something can be arranged and that both clubs are made aware of it.

I've contacted a mate at Raith to try and set something up.

I've contacted a mate at Raith to try and set something up.

Well done Bert!

Macphisto says he had been tweeting some bubbles related stories this afternoon. :-)

I always found his story so sad, as he had such talent and seemed to struggle with his medication and as a result this affected his play and then to have to retire from football and die so young is just tragic. He is the only player that I can say that I watched regularly, who was actually younger than me, who has died. :-(

So often you here of former players who have passed away but from a personal point of view I never watched them play so couldn't relate to them but it was different with Brian. :-(

It would be a great jesture if there was a minutes applause before tomorrow's game as the coincidences are too much to let it pass without acknowleding it and his talent.

Well done Bert!

Macphisto says he had been tweeting some bubbles related stories this afternoon. :-)

I always found his story so sad, as he had such talent and seemed to struggle with his medication and as a result this affected his play and then to have to retire from football and die so young is just tragic. He is the only player that I can say that I watched regularly, who was actually younger than me, who has died. :-(

So often you here of former players who have passed away but from a personal point of view I never watched them play so couldn't relate to them but it was different with Brian. :-(

It would be a great jesture if there was a minutes applause before tomorrow's game as the coincidences are too much to let it pass without acknowleding it and his talent.

It's in the hands of the match day coordinator now.

What a great thread, Mr Zo.

Bubbles linking up with Martin Baker on the left was one of the few highlights of the 90s. A great player and entertainer, and someone I still remember fondly.

I think he was in the Raith team that we beat 3-0 at Love St to clinch the title in 2000? It's a shame that his illness affected his career, and so tragically cut short his life.

RIP Brian.

If I remember rightly he was sent off in that game! A surreal moment.

Given our new chief executive was manager for much of Bubbles' time in the first team some sort of tribute should be fairly straightforward.

Edited by Stu

The incident on the pitch was at Brockville.

4 cracking goals i remember with Bubbles the best of the lot

Norrie McWhirter tugging Paddy Flannery jersey only to Flannery trying to knock his head off

Jim Dick barring his arse to the Unwashed after scoring

Quite a decent day

I was in the Cappielow Main Stand that day and it was to the Main Stand that he bared his erse (pretending that he was adjusting his shorts).

Jim Dick produced some quality moments of comedy over the years.

Back on topic, Hetherston was a fabulous player.

Edited by nosferatu

Most people think Barry Lavety is public enemy number 1 with the great unwashed but from a story I heard Bubbles pipped Basher for this coveted award. 'If we could get hold of him we'd kill him' was the gist of it. Mainly for the many occasions Bubbles gave the Cowshed the Nescafe coffee bean shaking gesture not to mention the spectacular goals he rattled in, none more so than that unforgettable strike at Love Street. An complete off the cuff player, such a shame his illness held him back. Would have shone in Tom Hendrie's title winning side of that time, of that there is no doubt.

RIP Bubbles. GBNF.

Did we get rid of Bubbles or was it his choice to leave?

From what I recall about bubbles was that he struggled with his diagnosis and struggled with the taking of his medication and as a result this impacted on his ability to train through the week and perform on a Saturday. As a result his performances etc weren't what they could be and as a result he wasn't offered a new contract.

I am sure there is far more to the story than my crude recollection of events.

• 3 years later...