Back Of The Net Exhibition 1 Of 11

thewhiteman

Back of the Net Exhibition

The Museum and Art Galleries held the very successful 'back of the net' exhibition in July 2015 which comprised of saints fans stories and experiences during their years of supporting the buds and these have been made available to SMiSA to allow further distribution for those who may not have made it to the actual exhibition at the time, or for those who would just like to see them again.

Due to the volume of material and as with any fitba team there are eleven separate elements and we will publish each group each day over the next eleven days

A big thanks to saints fan John Pressley at the museum and to all the original contributors whose stories deserve a second airing.

enjoy

BACK OF THE NET!

A football club would not exist without its dedicated, loyal fan base. Since its formation in 1877 St. Mirren FC has given its supporters a fair variety of experiences – the highs, the lows, the memorable days, the days you would rather forget. This exhibition brings together a mixture of stories from fans of many different eras to illustrate the bonds that tie a diverse group of people together through their collective experience of supporting Paisley's premier football team.

All of the quotes used in the displays come from St Mirren fans. This exhibition would not have come together without their input and is therefore dedicated to each and every supporter of the club, past, present and future.

MEETING THE TEAM

To every child (and adult!) that ever dreamed of donning a shirt and playing for their team meeting one of their sporting heroes is an experience never forgotten.

“Back in the late 1970’s I used to stay round the corner from Billy Abercromby, who would go on to captain the 1987 Scottish Cup winning team. Me and my pals would have been about 8 or 9 years old then and any time any of us got a new football we would knock on his door asking if he would sign it. At the beginning he always did so, totally making our day, although we did probably go a bit too often and he likely got a bit fed up with the constant stream of wee boys knocking his door as eventually his other half used to answer and tell us he wasn’t in! It was a great feeling meeting one of your football idols who took the time to talk to you, even though you were likely interrupting his dinner!” - John P.

“When I was a young boy I was lucky enough to be a mascot on my birthday and have a signed picture taken with Campbell Money and Paul Lambert from the day. We played Dumbarton and I can remember myself and another young lad who was also the mascot that day getting shown around the changing room and me giving my heroes high fives before hurriedly getting changed in a small room and leading the teams out.

Times were tough then for Saints and sadly we did not get to keep the strips but I do remember running out facing the old North Bank and clapping my hands in the air cheering with excitement.” – Mark K.

“A bizarre meeting with players came about after an evening friendly at Balintore near Tain in July 1993. Myself and 3 other ‘likely lads’ had set out north for 5 or 6 days of revelry armed with a couple of tents – and more than a few litres of strong wine. We had pitched tents at the back of a public house next to a cemetery in this picturesque little village and after thrashing the local Highland League Div 2 team 7 or maybe 9 zero we found ourselves in another pub where we met up with the St Mirren team who were trying to peacefully have their post-match meal. We ‘introduced’ ourselves to Neil Orr and a few others before we were ‘politely’ asked to leave…….” – Ronald C.

What happened to all the material in the Museum post the exhibition? I appreciate that a good number of things will have gone back to people who may have provided on loan, but with the bar being fitted out should perhaps this (assuming sitting in storage somewhere) be considered as being bought by the club (can't imagine that it would be expensive to purchase).