Scouting

Aljarov

Anyone able to help point in the direction of someone at the club I could give information on scouting to?

I've written into the general box twice and not had a reply either time.

I live in the US and have covered MLS for a decade for two companies based in London (one the makers of Football Manager as the Head Researcher for the US, the other sports consultancy). I've provided scouting reports to multiple teams in Europe (Championship, Portugal and Greece). I cover US and Canada, as well as having a strong network of contacts in the game here.

I always come across players I think would help our boys and would love a way to try and funnel more to us. Andy Dorman worked out okay after all. North American talent is cheap, and under-rated and often players will go pretty much anywhere to get a pro deal (Scandinavia, lower leagues in mainland Europe, etc).

I appreciate their might be some WP issues to work around, but that's not always definitive (Perry Kitchen just signed with Hearts for example and has only a couple of caps). Many have EU 2nd passports too, especially the Canadians.

Any help would be appreciated...I'm trying to do it to help the club, I'm not looking for paid employment or anything!

Cheers

Al

Try DMing faz directly on Twitter. He'll probably let u know if you're wasting your time or could be useful for us. I suspect the former, I'm guessing there would be additional costs involved such as expenses, digs, flights related to organising a trial, that the club just wouldn't be willing or able to pay.

While that's true, the US/Canada also doesn't have the same kind of training compensation system (for no good reason) that has seen another top prospect move from NYRB academy (US U17 international) and to Man United for free just today. With many players opting to go to college, there's a slew of guys ready around 21/22 years old and available on a free. In relative terms, compared to a transfer fee or even traditional training compensation this could be a much cheaper way to go. Additionally, I bet many of these kids would pay their own way if they thought it was a legit trial etc.. Most don't even have agents (another savings).

• 5 months later...

Not so much scouting, but I was at the UK (Kentucky) Fan Day today and was chatting the Scottish CB (lefty) Jordan Wilson.  Only turns out he's Tommy Wilson's nephew and has seen his Uncle's cup winner's medal many a time on display in his house.  He's a senior (IE last year in NCAA) and will either go into MLS draft in January or leave for home.  Hard to tell how he stacks up vs Scottish Championship, but he might be worth a look.  Always though he looks good for this level, good size, good left foot and especially good long distribution out of the back.  

He used to be in the Rangers academy system and was a Scottish YNT player IIRC.

Edited by Aljarov

He's also on the (pre-season) Hermann watch list this year...a short list for Player of the Year.  An accolade in itself given there's 200+ D1 NCAA teams (and thus 5-6k players in his league)

Edited by Aljarov

7 hours ago, Aljarov said:

Not so much scouting, but I was at the UK (Kentucky) Fan Day today and was chatting the Scottish CB (lefty) Jordan Wilson.  Only turns out he's Tommy Wilson's nephew and has seen his Uncle's cup winner's medal many a time on display in his house.  He's a senior (IE last year in NCAA) and will either go into MLS draft in January or leave for home.  Hard to tell how he stacks up vs Scottish Championship, but he might be worth a look.  Always though he looks good for this level, good size, good left foot and especially good long distribution out of the back.  

He used to be in the Rangers academy system and was a Scottish YNT player IIRC.

Am I right in thinking Tommy Wilson is in charge of one of the MLS teams' youth academies? Philadelphia Union springs to mind but not sure if that's the right one.

On 11/03/2016 at 5:40 PM, Aljarov said:

Anyone able to help point in the direction of someone at the club I could give information on scouting to?

I've written into the general box twice and not had a reply either time.

I live in the US and have covered MLS for a decade for two companies based in London (one the makers of Football Manager as the Head Researcher for the US, the other sports consultancy). I've provided scouting reports to multiple teams in Europe (Championship, Portugal and Greece). I cover US and Canada, as well as having a strong network of contacts in the game here.

I always come across players I think would help our boys and would love a way to try and funnel more to us. Andy Dorman worked out okay after all. North American talent is cheap, and under-rated and often players will go pretty much anywhere to get a pro deal (Scandinavia, lower leagues in mainland Europe, etc).

I appreciate their might be some WP issues to work around, but that's not always definitive (Perry Kitchen just signed with Hearts for example and has only a couple of caps). Many have EU 2nd passports too, especially the Canadians.

Any help would be appreciated...I'm trying to do it to help the club, I'm not looking for paid employment or anything!

Cheers

Al

I would suggest Tony Fitzpatrick as your first point of contact, write to him directly and also write to Alan McManus - the youth coach. The address is - St. Mirren Football Club Ltd.

The Paisley 2021 Stadium

St. Mirren Park

Greenhill Road

Paisley

Renfrewshire

PA3 1RU