Back Of The Net Exhibition 2 Of 11

thewhiteman

Back of the Net Exhibition 2 of 11

http://www.smisa.net/

LOVE STREET MEMORIES

St Mirren moved to Love Street in 1894 and it remained their home until 2009 when they moved to the new St Mirren Park in Greenhill Road, about half a mile away from the old, and much loved, Love Street stadium.

First memory of Love Street was sitting in the Caledonia Stand watching St Mirren v Airdrieonians. It was a freezing Paisley afternoon and I wasn't even 5 years old at the time, not really into football then but my brother was - how times have changed! I also remember the immortal line when returning home after a 3-2 defeat, kicking off my shoes and saying angrily (while shivering): "I'm never going to another football match again!" Oh boy, how I'm glad I was wrong.

My abiding memory from the late 1970s is being lifted over the turnstiles to the terracing. We couldnt afford entry to the stand, which I think was about a pound at the time compared to something like 30p to get in to the terracing! My dad must have got a better job because I remember progressing to the enclosure and then finally the stand luxury, a seat at last! John P.

When we played Liverpool in '77 I went to meet my mates at the Thorn Bar in Elderslie beforehand and there were two Scousers in the bar, who had forgot to get off the train at Gilmour Street. After one or two too many they came with us to the game - can remember sitting in the Caledonian Road end singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" alongside them! S.O.

My earliest memory was my first game at Love Street. My late Dad was an Accies fan, and took me to Love Street to see Fergie's Furies play them. I sat on his shoulders at the Caledonian Street end, and when Frank McGarvey scored a late winner, I promptly peed down his back with excitement. I must add that I was 4 years old at the time! - F.B.

When I was about 5 or 6 I used to beg my dad to take me to Love Street with him and my uncle and grandpa. Eventually, he gave in and told me he was taking me to see the Saints, but when we got there, I couldn't work out why there were multiple pitches with no stands or crowds and there wasn't anyone playing in black and white stripes. He confessed when I was about 16 that he'd actually spent a few weeks taking me down to St. James Racecourse to save money before the guilt got to him and he actually started taking me to Love Street! - I.W.

I actually felt a wee bit sad when they boarded up the car park area at the Love Street end. Funny how I wasn't that bothered about the stands coming down, but a lot of folk used to meet up in or around that car park. 'See you at half past in the car park, just at the merchandising caravan....' P.B.