Rangers To Be Given South Stand

If people were as passionate about this issue as they were about actually supporting saints then there would some atmosphere at St Mirren Park on match days. Everyone seems very easily offended these days. Unbelievable!

Most match day threads struggle to get half as many posts as this topic has in less than 12 hours. Is Div at the heart of this club statement in order to get traffic up on the forum? ;-)

People seem more interested in mobilising an anti Rangers and anti board campaign than proactive St Mirren on match days.

What has annoyed me more this season is shit performances on the park rather than a few old firm fans sitting in the south stand.

Edited by Mr Zo

If people were as passionate about this issue as they were about actually supporting saints then there would some atmosphere at St Mirren Park on match days. Everyone seems very easily offended these days. Unbelievable!

Most match day threads struggle to get half as many posts as this topic has in less than 12 hours. Is Div at the heart of this club statement in order to get traffic up on the forum? ;-)

People seem more interested in mobilising an anti Rangers and anti board campaign than proactive St Mirren on match days.

What has annoyed me more this season is shit performances on the park rather than a few old firm fans sitting in the south stand.

Ach well... Didn't realise the whole stooshie was all about a few old firm fans sitting in the south stand.

Silly me.

Gross overreaction if it is that simple.

I'm happy to have a few old firm fans beside me. Hell... I'll even buy them a bovril!

Don't St Johnstone do this every time they play the Glasgow teams? It's the pragmatic solution to a difficult situation. Would people have sported so much bile and hatred if we were allowing Hibs as winners of the Championship to come and see their team play. What if we were denied seeing our team win a trophy or a championship because the home fans didn't think we should get part of the ground that would normally be empty. We do not have the right to deny people the opportunity to support their team, whoever they are. Sure there are people who I wouldn't want to be within a million miles of on a Saturday afternoon likely to be coming but this is not a police state (yet) whereby you can deny someone a ticket because of who they support. If we had said no extra tickets and their fans arranged a boycott so we got no away fans money this forum would be red hot with accusations.

The reason I have followed St Mirren for over 50 years is the fact that we didn't spout hatred, we were tolerant of opponents and we supported our team because that's what the were - our team.

The board are charged with funding a successful team on the park and to do so they need money, and this solution brings us money. A Director of a public limited company has obligations you know. To suggest this is down to Stuart Gilmour "rolling over" for this big boys is absurd, baseless and offensive and frankly I wouldn't want the people who spout this nonsense within a million miles of me on a Saturday afternoon either.

Edited by rabuddies

If people were as passionate about this issue as they were about actually supporting saints then there would some atmosphere at St Mirren Park on match days. Everyone seems very easily offended these day....People seem more interested in an anti Rangers and anti board campaign than proactive St Mirren on match days.

Sorry, this is patent drivel.

I'm not offended, I just think it is a preposterous decision that will be damaging to the club. I had no intention of going to the game anyway, nor do I have a ST.

I'm also not interested in stirring up 'anti-Rangers' sentiment. Their supporters manage that just fine without my intervention.

The club is shitting on its own fans for a few quid, and it stinks and is terrible business practice. Simple, really.

Edited by Drew

I hate what this club stands for old club and new , but personally I say - take their filthy lucre .

If it does as SG stated , improve our playing squad for next season , well I think it's worth putting up with .

I think you've got to look at the bigger picture here .

Edited by munoz

Don't St Johnstone do this every time they play the Glasgow teams? It's the pragmatic solution to a difficult situation. Would people have sported so much bile and hatred if we were allowing Hibs as winners of the Championship to come and see their team play. What if we were denied seeing our team win a trophy or a championship because the home fans didn't think we should get part of the ground that would normally be empty. We do not have the right to deny people the opportunity to support their team, whoever they are. Sure there are people who I wouldn't want to be within a million miles of on a Saturday afternoon likely to be coming but this is not a police state (yet) whereby you can deny someone a ticket because of who they support. If we had said no extra tickets and their fans arranged a boycott so we got no away fans money this forum would be red hot with accusations.

The reason I have followed St Mirren for over 50 years is the fact that we didn't spout hatred, we were tolerant of opponents and we supported our team because that's what the were - our team.

The board are charged with funding a successful team on the park and to do so they need money, and this solution brings us money. A Director of a public limited company has obligations you know. To suggest this is down to Stuart Gilmour "rolling over" for this big boys is absurd, baseless and offensive and frankly I wouldn't want the people who spout this nonsense within a million miles of me on a Saturday afternoon either.

If St Mirren were going for a Championship, I wouldn't expect any rival club to decant their season ticket holders and turn over a family stand to accomodate St Mirren fans. I would certainly not expect the rival club's BoD to give us an entire family stand of theirs without them firstly letting their own fans know about it, nor would I expect them to completely blank their very own 'fan liason or council' group who are made to look like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed shit.

Having said that, if a rival club DID evict their own family fans for us, we would go to see St Mirren and would do so without singing about hunger strikers dying, being up to our knees in someone's blood, pondering the removal from society of nuns, priests and rosary beads, and concerning ourselves with some ancient fcuker on a big white horse.

If the part of the ground "would normally be empty" then nobody would be told they are being moved against their wishes and without consultation.

What a long winded way of expressing a simplistic and unrealistic view.

Do you frequent the FAMILY stand?

Edited by BuddieinEK

I hate what this club stands for old club and new , but personally I say - take their filthy lucre .

If it does as SG stated , improve our playing for next season , well I think it's worth putting up with .

Agree.... And the bigger picture shouldn't involve shitting on your own fans for 35k of bigots money.

If it does as SG stated , improve our playing squad for next season , well I think it's worth putting up with .

Sorry mate, but did you genuinely believe that line about funding players?

To suggest this is down to Stuart Gilmour "rolling over" for this big boys is absurd, baseless and offensive

I'm afraid it is most certainly none of the above. It is not without precedent, and I can tell you that from direct personal experience.

And what's to stop the blue mob from buying tickets for the other stands?

Well, exactly!

I don't think I've been to a single Rangers or Celtic match at the new stadium but when I was a regular at Love Street I can't remember a single occasion, after seats were put in, where there wasn't at least one Rangers fan in close proximity to where I was sitting and they weren't afraid to show it either.

The board is guilty of appallingly bad PR; of taking their own fans for granted and of patronising anyone questioning the decision they took without consultation but they've been guilty of all of that for at least 17 years now. Why anyone would be even remotely surprised that they'd grab cash rather than care about their customers is beyond me. However the fans also need to work out what is important to them. Is it more important to deny other football fans the chance to pay their admission to sit in seats that would be otherwise empty? Is it really that important to stop kids and adults from enjoying the facilities at St Mirren Park just because they happen to be supporting "Rangers"? Is it more important that they protect a rather pathetic notion that a particular seat "belongs" to them when clearly it doesn't?

'fess up lads. What is really bothering you here? And would you really be quite so bothered if it was Hibs, Falkirk or Queen of the South in the same position? Would YOU really want to deny a father of one of those clubs the opportunity to take their son to see their team win promotion?

And whilst I'm at it can I point out that whilst I also appear to be defending the side of the board of directors here I have absolutely no time whatsoever for any of those protagonists. Scottish Football in general would be massively better off if the game got rid of Chairmen who can't see beyond the end of their nose. Gilmour should f**k off......but not because of this. He should have been hounded out of the club back on Armageddon night along with his fellow protagonists.

Drew,

Where do you think the money will go?

Every penny in, goes out. Not sure where you think the money will be spent

They are trying to butter people up by suggesting it will go straight into Rae's player budget. I'm not buying that, and, as I have said previously, if the club is at the point that it is relying on approx £35K from this stunt to manage day to day financing, then it is being severely mismanaged.

For years we have seen st holders shoved off their seats for these games. I always had sympathy for those affected in the west stand but accepted there was a degree of logic in it and it kept their fans all at one end easing policing. But this beggars belief. Both ends. A total disgrace and two fingers to those in family stand. Don't care what is at stake in the game, this is a step too far for the board and just greed. I am seriously thinking of not going.

Like the majority of clubs in Scotland right now , we're skint .

To be honest , I don't think we could have turned down .

You've just got look at how cheap we let Kenny McLean go for .

The club obviously need it .

For years we have seen st holders shoved off their seats for these games. I always had sympathy for those affected in the west stand but accepted there was a degree of logic in it and it kept their fans all at one end easing policing. But this beggars belief. Both ends. A total disgrace and two fingers to those in family stand. Don't care what is at stake in the game, this is a step too far for the board and just greed. I am seriously thinking of not going.

It used to happen all the time. One of the other posts on this very thread mentioned it. At Love Street St Mirren fans were once asked to move up in the North Bank to allow Celtic fans who were in the Love Street end of the stadium the opportunity to shelter from the downpour that was going on at the time. The very reason there were gates between the North Bank and the Love Street end was so St Mirren could put Old Firm fans into that terrace as well as having them in the Caledonian Street end.

What exactly do you fear might happen from having "Rangers" fans at both ends of the ground separated by two stand loads of St Mirren supporters? If your worried about crowd trouble then please tell me how you propose segregating fans on public transport in and out of Paisley, how you propose to stop fans mixing outside of the stadium and how you propose to get "Rangers" fans into the South stand without them having to walk past St Mirren fans in the car park.

They are trying to butter people up by suggesting it will go straight into Rae's player budget. I'm not buying that, and, as I have said previously, if the club is at the point that it is relying on approx £35K from this stunt to manage day to day financing, then it is being severely mismanaged.

So where will it go? If it goes to day to day running costs then that's £35k we don't need to take from Raes budget

Ultimately every penny in will directly or indirectly affect Raes budget.

I'm not defending or agreeing with what's happening, I've earlier stated I won't be going.

However suggesting the extra money won't be added to the wage budget (again, directly or indirectly) is quite clearly wrong.

It used to happen all the time. One of the other posts on this very thread mentioned it. At Love Street St Mirren fans were once asked to move up in the North Bank to allow Celtic fans who were in the Love Street end of the stadium the opportunity to shelter from the downpour that was going on at the time. The very reason there were gates between the North Bank and the Love Street end was so St Mirren could put Old Firm fans into that terrace as well as having them in the Caledonian Street end.

What exactly do you fear might happen from having "Rangers" fans at both ends of the ground separated by two stand loads of St Mirren supporters? If your worried about crowd trouble then please tell me how you propose segregating fans on public transport in and out of Paisley, how you propose to stop fans mixing outside of the stadium and how you propose to get "Rangers" fans into the South stand without them having to walk past St Mirren fans in the car park.

Stuart... In the game you refer to as a rather odd defence of your patantly antagonistic stance... Can you explain why I was at the game and in the Love Street end with a Celtic supporting friend... but removed by the police and told to go to the North stand "for my own safety"... Only to be asked to budge up and let the Celtic fans in beside us out of the rain?

Rangers fans at both ends... What could go wrong?

Myself and a 15 year old were surrounded and jostled... Baited into a response they didn't get... By a group of these people two seasons ago... Simply because we were walking in the opposite direction with our heads don and they are aparantly people!

Don't be such a simplistic prick... It undermines the good points you make when not being bitter!

The issue most people have is that they consider these two Glasgow clubs supporters as SCUM.

Don't give me any of this "ach it's only a minority".

They sing their songs of hatred. They wave banners and hold scarves aloft that have sectarian messages written across them or reference battles that took place in another country hundreds of years ago.

In my lifetime that particular club have been involved in pitched battles and riots across Scotland, England and Europe.

Did either of them receive a ban from SFA for the 1989 Hampden riot? No.

What about the riots in Birmingham in the 70s. Anglo Scottish Cup riots in the 80s.

What sanctions were applied by the SFA as a result of their behaviour in Manchester?

Diddly Fecking Squat.

They are SCUM.

They always have been and they will continue to behave they way they have always known. We are the people. Scum more like. That's why most people don't want them anywhere near our ground. That's why many fans of our club don't bring their kids to see this mob in town.

If it was Hibs, Falkirk or QOTS requesting additional tickets I don't think there would be the same arguments as none of those teams have been involved in as much HATRED, SECTARIAN, BIGOTRY as these CNUTS.

So are they a new club or not Slash?

I won't give you anything when it comes to "Rangers" but it wasn't so long ago the same Chairman won support amongst St Mirren fans for keeping this very club in as high a league position as possible because without them they might have to let a lassie in the ticket office go.

The issue most people have is that they consider these two Glasgow clubs supporters as SCUM.

Don't give me any of this "ach it's only a minority".

They sing their songs of hatred. They wave banners and hold scarves aloft that have sectarian messages written across them or reference battles that took place in another country hundreds of years ago.

In my lifetime that particular club have been involved in pitched battles and riots across Scotland, England and Europe.

Did either of them receive a ban from SFA for the 1989 Hampden riot? No.

What about the riots in Birmingham in the 70s. Anglo Scottish Cup riots in the 80s.

What sanctions were applied by the SFA as a result of their behaviour in Manchester?

Diddly Fecking Squat.

They are SCUM.

They always have been and they will continue to behave they way they have always known. We are the people. Scum more like. That's why most people don't want them anywhere near our ground. That's why many fans of our club don't bring their kids to see this mob in town.

If it was Hibs, Falkirk or QOTS requesting additional tickets I don't think there would be the same arguments as none of those teams have been involved in as much HATRED, SECTARIAN, BIGOTRY as these CNUTS.

If it was Hibs Falkirk or the Doonhamers, then like Thistle, I'd share the stand and mix freely.

I am not even being given that opportunity.

I am NOT precious about a seat... But I bought a season ticket for that stand for a reason... and will not remain silent whilst being taken for granted!