Rangers To Be Given South Stand

I understand why clubs do it but it sticks in my craw that clubs in Scotland have to stoop so low.

I have a mate who is/was heavily involved with Albion Rovers and know how much effort has been put into keeping them going.

We are hardly in the same boat though, after all we've got money to pay off ex Managers etc.

anyways, not a situation I like for the club I support.

I'd rather we gave them heehaw tickets but there's not a cat in hell's chance of that happening

It's not stooping low. Well not in my opinion anyway. Why deny a father the chance to enjoy a footballing highlight with their son? Would you react with the same disgust if it was Raith Rovers or Falkirk or even Hibs looking for 6,000+ tickets to celebrate their promotion?

St Mirren fans should have been outraged four years ago when their Chairman threatened to made redundancies if St Mirren fans didn't agree to let him vote to keep "Rangers" in the top league - or at least allow him to give "Rangers" the easiest possible ride back to the top league. Sadly the fans sat muted and left it to the heroes at other clubs like Raith Rovers and Clyde to ensure "Rangers" were treated as equally as Gretna. This seems a very strange fight to pick in comparison.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Out of all the utter shite i've read from you over the years this takes the biscuitlol.gif

It's actually 100% true. It made me laugh loudly when I heard it was being done and I have nothing but respect for the St Mirren fans that did it. Oh and it will become apparent if the offer is not repeated next season as St Mirren will see a dramatic fall in the number of season tickets sold.

Did no-one ever think to question why season ticket sales looked so buoyant for this season?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

It's not stooping low. Well not in my opinion anyway. Why deny a father the chance to enjoy a footballing highlight with their son? Would you react with the same disgust if it was Raith Rovers or Falkirk or even Hibs looking for 6,000+ tickets to celebrate their promotion?

St Mirren fans should have been outraged four years ago when their Chairman threatened to made redundancies if St Mirren fans didn't agree to let him vote to keep "Rangers" in the top league - or at least allow him to give "Rangers" the easiest possible ride back to the top league. Sadly the fans sat muted and left it to the heroes at other clubs like Raith Rovers and Clyde to ensure "Rangers" were treated as equally as Gretna. This seems a very strange fight to pick in comparison.

Your recollection of things don't half differ from reality.

Season tickets should cover admission to a stand only.

If you want 'your seat' you need to get there early.....

Allows movement within ground i.e. in the West Stand, which way are we attacking?

Some fans won't like it but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I've always felt it should be either or. If you want to reserve then fair enough, decent middle ground.

I think we could abandon segregation if Raith Rovers, Falkirk & even Hibs ever needed extra tickets for a match at St Mirren park.

I agree, we shouldn't need segregation at all.

I don't know of anywhere else where giving up an entire 'home stand' to enable the club to make a few extra quid would be thought as a good idea. Only in Scotland eh.

similarly to now, some St Mirren fans would have been outraged but like this thread, you have some who accept the situation, some who oppose & some who think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

It is a sad indication of Scottish football that so many believe Rangers and Celtic money is needed to keep it afloat. The BoD's current decision supports that suggestion.

We all know though, if the English League opened it's arms, the pair of them would be off like a shot without a backwards glance for Scottish football unless there was something in it for them like putting in a reserve team to keep their hordes happy.

Scottish football is a busted flush.

when Love Street went all seater, did season tickets let you into the ground only or were they seat specific?

In this world of all seater stadia, I know of no other club that does not have seat specific ST's for stands with seats. Perhaps they exist somewhere but I can't see that being the case.

when Love Street went all seater, did season tickets let you into the ground only or were they seat specific?

In this world of all seater stadia, I know of no other club that does not have seat specific ST's for stands with seats. Perhaps they exist somewhere but I can't see that being the case.

The whole of Love Street was Seat Specific.

My thoughts are that I don't think the board are right to do this for a variety of the reasons already discussed on the thread, however I have another dimension to add to the issue.

In the west stand we have been treated like dirt for the entire season, not just one game. We have had to rely on one refreshment stand for a thousand fans, limited toilet access etc. If, like my dad in his 70s you are unfortunate enough to have the last seat before the canvassed off area they literally tie the cover over the seat next to you making it uncomfortable in terms of movement.

Where the segregation was placed during the stadium design was poorly thought out and just doesn't work in practice.

If the board make the £30k - £40k they are expecting from this game, they should spend some of it moving the segregation gate in the west stand to the centre of the north stand or the end of the main stand. If they really don't want to open the north stand for small supports then they could look at the feasibility of a 50/50 divide in the south stand even as the total of our existing season ticket holders there could easily fit into one side of that stand. Whatever the solution, it is NOT to continue forward for however many seasons we are in the championship giving such poor service to such a large section of the fanbase.

I and others like me in the west stand have this season been paying a lot for a sub-par service.

Maybe doing this might go a little way to improving the relationship between board and fans.

Edited to add more detail.

Edited by zurich_allan

We had specific seats ,my last one was in the PDE stand top row.

at least we won't have that problem next season with no old firm in the league we are playing in.

Why ever not?lol.gif

That's displaying the true naivety of a Scottish fitba fan.

CFC can hire the place and rebadge it at any time.

Sevco could even buy the club, rename it and the ground, when their current premises are sold off or condemned as unfit for purpose.

The name of the game (it's not a sport) is money.

There are no rules, just the SFA's right to make things up to suit the needs of the only two important groups of fans.

Flush.gif

Surely "the point" is you are getting a per game discount by paying upfront. The idea that you "own" a seat is just absurd and it's something football clubs should never have gotten into. Just look at how many seats these days are "reserved" at Paisley that lie empty every single home match. How many season ticket holders actually sit in their reserved seat? The situation is so ridiculous that if a season ticket holder happens to bring along a friend for a one off match, or he has a friend who is pay as you go, they have to vacate their reserved seat to sit together.

Of course this season St Mirren made matters even worse by poorly managing a well meaning give away that meant any adult season ticket holder could get a free one for someone (or something) under the age of 12. I know of several season ticket holders who took up the offer for seats next to theirs in the stand just so they could get some extra space for themselves. A few I know bought tickets for their pet animals.

This reserved seat nonsense isn't even traditional in football. Before all seater stands your season ticket simply covered your admission. There were no stickers placed on the terrace to reserve your standing spot and had anyone suggested that as an idea they'd have been laughed out of the club so quite why our clubs chose to create this absurd spectacle is beyond me.

I'd think a specific seat is a police requirement for crowd control and to help identify trouble makers as most seated events from concerts to other sports are seat specific. It might not be too big a problem at our ground but could imagine a group of drunks turning up with 5 minutes to go and all trying to get a seat together at Tynecastle, Pittodrie or Hampden.

To use an idiom. It cannot be easy trying to square the circle at a club like Saint Mirren. But the board have a duty to the supporters and to use such short term vision at an establishment of which they are, in their own words, merely custodians while dragging it's reputation down is totally and utterly the wrong thing to do. Make no mistake. We are being laughed at in all corners. By selling the STs as they did they made a commitment to the purchasers that that would be the seats they were GUARANTEED. They have now proven themselves, and by reflection, the club as liars.

For the sake of a paltry sum which could quite possibly be negated if the affected current supporters, and a few more, (and I have decided for definite I'll be one of them), decide to simply pay when they feel like attending.

Where's the point in showing loyalty when it's not reciprocated if there's a couple of bob to be eked out for ONE game?

Really?

Other than Saints fans, and few point scoring soap dodgers on P&B, most supporters of other clubs, like me, couldn't really give a flying f**k regarding this matter.

In regard to wanting an ST to only gain entry, and for unreserved seating and/or zero segregation of fans (if you live in DickoDisney Land...) Personally, I'd like a return to the days of the Glasgow Apollo, Bon Scott singing with AC/DC and Adidas St Mirren kits. So, let's all just accept it isn't happening and deal with the situation we DO have, which, clearly, across-the-board in UK football seated stadiums, is reserved seating and segregated supports.

Edited by pozbaird

In regard to wanting an ST to only gain entry, and for unreserved seating and/or zero segregation of fans (if you live in DickoDisney Land...) Personally, I'd like a return to the days of the Glasgow Apollo, Bon Scott singing with AC/DC and Adidas St Mirren kits. So, let's all just accept it isn't happening and deal with the situation we DO have, which, clearly, across-the-board in UK football seated stadiums, is reserved seating and segregated supports.

Hull City have just announced they are ending season tickets from the end of this season, if it works other teams may follow suit. As for segregation I have openly sat in various stadiums supporting West Ham with little or no issues.

Hull City have just announced they are ending season tickets from the end of this season, if it works other teams may follow suit. As for segregation I have openly sat in various stadiums supporting West Ham with little or no issues.

I have sat in Celtic Park, Falkirk Stadium and New Douglas Park watching St Mirren without problems. There were no problems because I wore no colours, never let on I was a Saints fan, never shouted or cheered for us, nor did I shout against anyone in the home team. It was brutal. Accies fans wanted their players to break one of our defenders legs, Hugh Murray received abuse I have only heard us dish out to Tokely, and despite playing for them, Sellik fans gave Goodwin abuse that even Tokely never received.

As enjoyable soccer experiences go, it was about as enjoyable as eating your own shite with a teaspoon while listening to Adele at Glastonbury on loop.

One or two of us as individuals in enemy territory using a free ST or sonething is one matter, let's try fully unsegregated stadiums at Aberdeen v Rangers next season, the return of the 'Old Firm' derby, Ajax v Feyenoord or Liverpool v Man Utd.

Forums are indeed all about opinions, each to their own, but sorry, talk (DickoDisney time again) of unsegregated stadiums is laughable. A joke. Ain't happening!

I wonder if the 'Union Bears 2007' can plaster as many of their union flag stickers over our seats as they have done to Livingston's.

That will be vandalism and I would hope their new Club would be charged a heavy fee for removing them.

I wonder if the 'Union Bears 2007' can plaster as many of their union flag stickers over our seats as they have done to Livingston's.

Pretty sure the club could use a portion of the 30k / 45k / 60k / 70k / one million quid raised by allowing them the stand to invest in a supply of cans of lighter fuel and razor blades to remove the fcuking things. Cos' that's how you remove those hard-to-remove stickers, such as the ones businesses slap on your car window if you park illegally.... Pick off as much of the sticker as you can. Soak the remainder with lighter fuel, absolutely drench it - then, use masking tape to cover half of a razor blade, use the blade as a mini 'wallpaper scraper' to work off the residual sticker. Apply more lighter fuel as required as you go. Wipe seat clean with a bit of kitchen roll once offending sticker fully removed.

Here to help. I'm sure our BoD will be all over it in jig time.

Reasonably sure this post goes a little way to disproving the Oaksoft gobshite's claim that I provide little of substance to any thread on here. Allied to my tips on how to safely wash polyester football shirts... I'm on a roll.

Edited by pozbaird