Alloa Athletic V St Mirren Championship 26/3/16

shull

A lot of silent scrambling going on here.

I bet that they had it prepared. Even if we drew, they had it prepared. Copy paste, control v.

Such a shame.

Modify, copy, then delete. Save it for next week. Maybe then we will lose, maybe then you can get your release.

In fairness, you used to call for Danny Lennon's head, win, lose or draw... missing out on top 6 of the SPL wasn't good enough for you, but this season you're happy to accept missing out on top 6 of the Championship.

Yeah i see your and similar points that have been made today. Make him captain and all that jazz.

The reality is that we will offer him the best contract we can. And a team like St Johnstone/Dundee/ICT/Motherwell/Dundee Utd will offer him a better contract.

He will then sign the best contract, as he should. If I was him I would take the most money on offer, no shame there. He has no loyalty to us.

If we are offering him the most money it's due to one thing.... The failure of top flight scouting systems. Fingers crossed for multiple failure across the SPFL Premiership scouting network.

You want to talk about failure. How about pointing fingers at Ralston? Longwell talked a good game but Stewart, Kelly, McLear, McAllister, Morgan and Baird have all looked poor whenever I've seen them play. Naismith had a couple of passable matches and seems to have become better rated whilst injured. Reilly was utterly hopeless as was Scullion and whilst I've seen Mallan score a few special goals I've never seen him put his stamp on a game or control a midfield or even feed through a telling pass to his strikers. Even McLean was woefully inconsistent and McGinn, who I believe is the one player who actually could realise his potential had gone badly off the boil before leaving St Mirren.

If I've missed anyone I'm sorry but the fact they have failed to imprint their name to my memory when their less than mediocre contemporaries have is probably indicative of the standard and nature of their performance too.

Why would that help ?

Much bigger and better team than us struggled there and scraped a draw. We have won there twice without losing a goal. We did win the game ffs even if we were poor and it is a results business. I would love us to play the silky stuff we did in the Fergie, Clunie and Hendrie days but we don't as our players are not good enough.

Yeah i see your and similar points that have been made today. Make him captain and all that jazz.

The reality is that we will offer him the best contract we can. And a team like St Johnstone/Dundee/ICT/Motherwell/Dundee Utd will offer him a better contract.

He will then sign the best contract, as he should. If I was him I would take the most money on offer, no shame there. He has no loyalty to us.

If we are offering him the most money it's due to one thing.... The failure of top flight scouting systems. Fingers crossed for multiple failure across the SPFL Premiership scouting network.

Probably right and certainly pragmatic. It's a shame though that none of our players have any loyalty to the club or seemingly any affection - even those taught by our academy. Modern football I suppose.

In fairness, you used to call for Danny Lennon's head, win, lose or draw... missing out on top 6 of the SPL wasn't good enough for you, but this season you're happy to accept missing out on top 6 of the Championship.

No, that wasn't TC, that was Lex. whistling.gif

He carried out a long and bitter, almost personal, vendetta against Lennon.

^ Seething we didn't lose.

I, for one, am looking forward to his latest fairytale about how he didn't pay for a ticket and also the reason why someone who prides himself on being a customer rather than a supporter would go to that match as a supposed neutral.

It must say something about the progress made under Rae that plenty are moaning after a win. We really are a torn faced bunch. Of course the level of performance was poor but we are now toughing out poor displays without losing which in itself speaks volumes about the change in attitude Rae has installed. A summer to sort out the squad and fingers crossed we will be fit to challenge fir a play off at least next season. The rot hopefully has been stopped which was priority number one.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

It must say something about the progress made under Rae that plenty are moaning after a win. We really are a torn faced bunch. Of course the level of performance was poor but we are now toughing out poor displays without losing which in itself speaks volumes about the change in attitude Rae has installed. A summer to sort out the squad and fingers crossed we will be fit to challenge fir a play off at least next season. The rot hopefully has been stopped which was priority number one.

After the nightmare that was the Murray period many feared we were going down. Some said that survival this season and challenge next season was the best we could hope for and would take that. Rae can only get a certain level of performance from a poor and unbalanced squad of players that he inherited. That won't change until he is in a position to clear the decks.

FFS, we won didn't we? After all the shite we've endured for the last couple of seasons we're finally winning more games than losing and now it's about how we're playing?

I remember, in Hendrie's championship season, suffering through back to back away shockers against Clydebank (at Cappielow) and Airdrie where we score only once against, quite probably, the two worst teams in the league but you know what? I didn't give a f**k as I wanted my team to win and didn't care how they did it. Recent shitey wins could prove to be every bit as important as the points picked up back then so if the football purists could give us all a rest and get back to watching La Liga with their Easter takeaway and a few cans of lager that would be great.

3 points and safety virtually assured. A truly horrible 18 months as a Saints fan but at least there is a glimmer of hope for next season as we seem to have a manager that has some semblance of an idea how to get a team winning or maybe he's just a lucky wee bastard? Either way we're in better shape than we were. Maybe silky football will come further down the road but if we won promotion next year playing like this I'd likely not give a f**k either.

FFS, we won didn't we? After all the shite we've endured for the last couple of seasons we're finally winning more games than losing and now it's about how we're playing?

I remember, in Hendrie's championship season, suffering through back to back away shockers against Clydebank (at Cappielow) and Airdrie where we score only once against, quite probably, the two worst teams in the league but you know what? I didn't give a f**k as I wanted my team to win and didn't care how they did it. Recent shitey wins could prove to be every bit as important as the points picked up back then so if the football purists could give us all a rest and get back to watching La Liga with their Easter takeaway and a few cans of lager that would be great.

3 points and safety virtually assured. A truly horrible 18 months as a Saints fan but at least there is a glimmer of hope for next season as we seem to have a manager that has some semblance of an idea how to get a team winning or maybe he's just a lucky wee bastard? Either way we're in better shape than we were. Maybe silky football will come further down the road but if we won promotion next year playing like this I'd likely not give a f**k either.

You beat part timers 1-0 having been completely outplayed, outfought and out-thought. St Mirren rode their luck and only a wonder save from Jamie Langfield, a header off the line and some woeful finishing left the game open for Watson to steal the points with a tame mishit shot at the second time of asking.

Ofcourse wins are important and winning ugly can be a feature of a successful side, but anyone taking any comfort off of this level of performance is deluding themselves. I was at Alloa for the last away match there and whilst that was also incipid shite St Mirren were never threatened and they were good for their win. I predicted Rae would be a success as St Mirren manager but that performance yesterday suggested the club is back in reverse gear. You certainly have to wonder what exactly these players are doing on the training pitch at Ralston cause it doesn't look like they are practising any skills.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

You beat part timers 1-0 having been completely outplayed, outfought and out-thought. St Mirren rode their luck and only a wonder save from Jamie Langfield, a header off the line and some woeful finishing left the game open for Watson to steal the points with a tame mishit shot at the second time of asking.

Ofcourse wins are important and winning ugly can be a feature of a successful side, but anyone taking any comfort off of this level of performance is deluding themselves. I was at Alloa for the last away match there and whilst that was also incipid shite St Mirren were never threatened and they were good for their win. I predicted Rae would be a success as St Mirren manager but that performance yesterday suggested the club is back in reverse gear. You certainly have to wonder what exactly these players are doing on the training pitch at Ralston cause it doesn't look like they are practising any skills.

Stuart, Scottish football is littered by poor footballers and poor football. It has been for decades and unlikely to improve much in the foreseeable future. There is a dearth of talent in the game and the odd gem goes down South or in the pockets of the Old Firm. St Mirren is struggling like most with little resources and the days of recruiting the likes of Stark, Lambert, McGarvey and Fitzy are long gone mate. A hard working, fit and competitive team is the best we can hope for and if AR can deliver that next season then that will do for me. Next season's league is likely to be the most competitive in years with Dunfermline too. It is far too early to judge AR but he has at least made us harder to beat than Murray.

As someone who claims not to support the team, you clearly show the opposite by your comments and match attendance.

Stuart, Scottish football is littered by poor footballers and poor football. It has been for decades and unlikely to improve much in the foreseeable future. There is a dearth of talent in the game and the odd gem goes down South or in the pockets of the Old Firm. St Mirren is struggling like most with little resources and the days of recruiting the likes of Stark, Lambert, McGarvey and Fitzy are long gone mate. A hard working, fit and competitive team is the best we can hope for and if AR can deliver that next season then that will do for me. Next season's league is likely to be the most competitive in years with Dunfermline too. It is far too early to judge AR but he has at least made us harder to beat than Murray.

As someone who claims not to support the team, you clearly show the opposite by your comments and match attendance.

Yet the SFA and all our senior football clubs continue to spend £millions every season on "elite" development and despite the obvious lack of ability coming out of Ralston many St Mirren supporters seem chuffed at how many stars it's been awarded and they are prepared to back it no matter what.

I could put up three left backs from the 98s group in Lanarkshire juvenile football who with a few weeks of full time fitness training would have performed better than Stewart did yesterday. You really have to wonder what the f**k is going on at Ralston that allows these players to think they are full time pros.

You want to talk about failure. How about pointing fingers at Ralston? Longwell talked a good game but Stewart, Kelly, McLear, McAllister, Morgan and Baird have all looked poor whenever I've seen them play. Naismith had a couple of passable matches and seems to have become better rated whilst injured. Reilly was utterly hopeless as was Scullion and whilst I've seen Mallan score a few special goals I've never seen him put his stamp on a game or control a midfield or even feed through a telling pass to his strikers. Even McLean was woefully inconsistent and McGinn, who I believe is the one player who actually could realise his potential had gone badly off the boil before leaving St Mirren.

If I've missed anyone I'm sorry but the fact they have failed to imprint their name to my memory when their less than mediocre contemporaries have is probably indicative of the standard and nature of their performance too.

I've seen enough of Baird, Stewart, Kelly, Mclearm McAlister and Morgan to know they are good talents. If they can play well in the under 20s and not the full team perhaps that says more about the management than players. To a degree this is true about Harkins, Imrie, Granger, Webster etc

One of the worst games I've seen this season and that's saying something. And these plastic pitches are a joke. But I've seen us play better and lose. So won't moan 3 points is what counts. Keith Watson again was head and shoulders better than any player on the horrible plastic pitch. Thought Alloa no5 Colin Hamilton was very good. But easily forgettable game.

One of the worst games I've seen this season and that's saying something. And these plastic pitches are a joke. But I've seen us play better and lose. So won't moan 3 points is what counts. Keith Watson again was head and shoulders better than any player on the horrible plastic pitch. Thought Alloa no5 Colin Hamilton was very good. But easily forgettable game.

It's not the pitches fault. At this time of year most of the grass parks around Scotland have huge patches without grass at all, and particularly in wet conditions grass parks tend to cut up causing an uneven surface. That park yesterday was flat and consistent and if football players can't play on that type of surface you've got to ask what the f**k they can play on.