4. Agnew

5. Howieson - 2 starts and then dropped from most matchday squads

6. Gallagher

7. Quinn (currently injured)

8. Cooper

9. McAllister - 17 year old from the U20s team

10. Stewart - young defender being played in midfield

11. Gow - 1 start, hooked after 45 minutes

The mind boggles as to why Rae refuses to play Goodwin when he is prepared to play Jordan Stewart out of position in midfield and chuck in Kyle McAllister from the U20;s... McMullan was given 4 starts before being sent back to Celtic and his loan deal terminated because he wouldn't follow orders, Howieson has been bombed out of match day squads but has still had a few starts. Goodwin has been given 0 starts under Rae. Is he really our 12th choice midfielder?

1. McMullan - 4 starts and then loan deal ended and sent back to Celtic

2. Mallan

3. Carswell

4. Agnew

5. Howieson - 2 starts and then dropped from most matchday squads

6. Gallagher

7. Quinn (currently injured)

8. Cooper

9. McAllister - 17 year old from the U20s team

10. Stewart - young defender being played in midfield

11. Gow - 1 start, hooked after 45 minutes

The mind boggles as to why Rae refuses to play Goodwin when he is prepared to play Jordan Stewart out of position in midfield and chuck in Kyle McAllister from the U20;s... McMullan was given 4 starts before being sent back to Celtic and his loan deal terminated because he wouldn't follow orders, Howieson has been bombed out of match day squads but has still had a few starts. Goodwin has been given 0 starts under Rae. Is he really our 12th choice midfielder?

Goodwin has been rumoured to have been part of player unrest and challenges to management over his entire career at St Mirren, great player when his head is right, but malcontents are something we can do without.

My view of him is balanced between his excellent cup winning performances and the downside of his physical game, as well as the shenanigans that went on when he was reportedly ready to sign for Hibs. If you are never happy, Jim, go and do it elsewhere.

Was waiting for a thread like this. I thought it would be LPM that started it right enough. No surprise it wasn't started after we won two games in a row without Goodwin to secure our safety though.

Rae doesn't think Goodwin has a future at the club and it's clear Jim will be leaving club at the end of the season. Goody is 35 later this year and has struggled with injuries, so it's hardly a surprising decision.

Rae has been a success as Saints manager however you look at it. I trust his judgment and I believe he will get us in the top 4 next season.

Edited by TopCat

Was waiting for a thread like this. I thought it would be LPM that started it right enough. No surprise it wasn't started after we won two games in a row without Goodwin to secure our safety though.

Rae doesn't think Goodwin has a future at the club and it's clear Jim will be leaving club at the end of the season. Goody is 35 later this year and has struggled with injuries, so it's hardly a surprising decision.

Rae has been a success as Saints manager however you look at it. I trust his judgment and I believe he will get us in the top 4 next season.

The only injury Goodwin has had this year was a broken ankle suffered in training. In fairness most people would struggle for fitness to play professional football whilst recovering from a broken ankle. Old and struggling with injuries doesn't appear to stop Rae selecting and playing Thommo and Gow most games they are not injured.

I don't really disagree with that but I think personally in a game like last night when we are playing with no natural holding midfielder then we are simultaneously reducing Mallan to a bit part role whilst also surrendering the middle of the park to the opposition.

I cannot understand why the manager would prefer Agnew to play that role ahead of Goodwin or Carswell. Even if he doesn't particularly fancy either, that is their natural position. Why put a square peg in a round hole?

Mallan was completley anonymous last night. He needs to have someone in there to do the dirty work and give him the ball in more advanced positions IMO.

We got out of jail on Saturday thanks to two wonder strikes. Last night we got what was coming to us.

I don't really disagree with that but I think personally in a game like last night when we are playing with no natural holding midfielder then we are simultaneously reducing Mallan to a bit part role whilst also surrendering the middle of the park to the opposition.

I cannot understand why the manager would prefer Agnew to play that role ahead of Goodwin or Carswell. Even if he doesn't particularly fancy either, that is their natural position. Why put a square peg in a round hole?

Mallan was completley anonymous last night. He needs to have someone in there to do the dirty work and give him the ball in more advanced positions IMO.

We got out of jail on Saturday thanks to two wonder strikes. Last night we got what was coming to us.

Also we got out of jail v QOS with a penalty completely against the run of play.

When I posted about Goody being an used sub against Livi, people replied saying it was another win without Goody.

The only injury Goodwin has had this year was a broken ankle suffered in training. In fairness most people would struggle for fitness to play professional football whilst recovering from a broken ankle. Old and struggling with injuries doesn't appear to stop Rae selecting and playing Thommo and Gow most games they are not injured.

So he's struggled with injury then.

Thommo and Gow have been mainly used from the bench. Gow only started last night cause Clarkson was unavailable, and he played upfront so he shouldn't be on your list.

Also we got out of jail v QOS with a penalty completely against the run of play.

Did we get out of jail in that game when Shankland had a perfectly good goal chopped off? Just like Clarkson did in the Falkirk game the week before. And the stonewall penalty we were denied in Dumfries.

We've had more bad luck than good in the last few weeks.

In tight games - like all ours have been recently - it's fine margins that decide things. Raiths first goal last night was very against the run of play, their second was a defensive mistake. Despite this we would likely have got a point had Shankland not fluffed his lines with that chance at 2-1.

i don't care who's picking the team or if the manager or anyone else has problems with certain players, but its the managers responsibility to put the best available 11 on the park and he continues not to do it. Playing Goodwin allows Mallan to play with more freedom and that can only be a good thing for the team.

Rae has done ok so far but i would also say he's had a bit of luck as well. Once he gets his own players in I'm confident he will get us towards the top 4, but that will only happen if he plays his best players each week

So he's struggled with injury then.

Thommo and Gow have been mainly used from the bench. Gow only started last night cause Clarkson was unavailable, and he played upfront so he shouldn't be on your list.

You made a point about Goodwin's age and injury problems. I'm not sure how many games he has missed with injury since signing for us in DL's first season. My guess would be that he has missed less games due to injuries in 6 seasons than Gow has this season or last season, yet Gow is more likely to play under Rae than Goodwin. Gow has played as a midfielder under Rae even if he was played as a forward last night. Had Rae not shipped Morgan and Cuddihy out on loan he'd probably be giving them a game ahead of Goodwin as well!

If you accept Goodwin's exclusion is nothing to do with his ability, fitness or attitude the only reasonable defence Rae can have is that if Goodwin plays another game or two it would activate a contract extension clause in his contract and the club have decided they don't want him around after the summer, in which case he should tell that to the fans.

Goodwin has been rumoured to have been part of player unrest and challenges to management over his entire career at St Mirren, great player when his head is right, but malcontents are something we can do without.

My view of him is balanced between his excellent cup winning performances and the downside of his physical game, as well as the shenanigans that went on when he was reportedly ready to sign for Hibs. If you are never happy, Jim, go and do it elsewhere.

Goodwin's managers at St Mirren have been 1) Danny Lennon - who signed him, made him captain and gave him a new improved contract, 2) Tommy Craig who promoted him to player / coach and gave him a new contract 3) Gary Teale 4) Iain Murray who praised Goodwin for his attitude and conduct and 5) Alex Rae who has decided not to pick Goodwin for any of his starting XI's so far.

If Goodwin has been a troublemaker making life a misery for managers, why has he been given 2 or 3 new contracts since signing on for 6 months during DL's first season, made captain, promoted to player / coach?

You made a point about Goodwin's age and injury problems. I'm not sure how many games he has missed with injury since signing for us in DL's first season. My guess would be that he has missed less games due to injuries in 6 seasons than Gow has this season or last season, yet Gow is more likely to play under Rae than Goodwin. Gow has played as a midfielder under Rae even if he was played as a forward last night. Had Rae not shipped Morgan and Cuddihy out on loan he'd probably be giving them a game ahead of Goodwin as well!

If you accept Goodwin's exclusion is nothing to do with his ability, fitness or attitude the only reasonable defence Rae can have is that if Goodwin plays another game or two it would activate a contract extension clause in his contract and the club have decided they don't want him around after the summer, in which case he should tell that to the fans.

who is morgan on loan to ?

Gow and Thommo struggled with injury and form, but hey you arevnever gonnae drop your mates.... Right?

Both have them have spent the majority of the season on the bench, like Goodwin.

You're really desperate to find an agenda here I know, but you're going to have to look a lot harder.

I thought it was a strange choice to play Agnew over Goodwin on tuesday but to be fair Agnew had a really good game, made a lot of tackles, worked hard and distrubuted the ball better than Mallan.

If Alex Rae only picks and plays former Rangers or servco players then why did he sign Rocco Quinn ex Celtic player???

Are there genuinely people who think that? Fair play to whoever started that blatant wind-up.

Why on earth are wingers in the list of midfielders who have played ahead of Goodwin? You'd be as well including strikers and goalies.

Are there genuinely people who think that? Fair play to whoever started that blatant wind-up.

Why on earth are wingers in the list of midfielders who have played ahead of Goodwin? You'd be as well including strikers and goalies.

I was making the point in my OP that after 3 months in charge Rae is still chopping and changing the midfield - some of it due to injuries or suspensions and we are up to 11 players tried there since he took over but the one guy he won't play is the guy who has been our best midfielder this season. I don't mind him giving younger guys a run to show if they are up to it or not, but if we are losing the midfield battle most weeks he has an obvious solution sitting on the bench which he refuses to use.