Independence Day Today

shull

I voted yes

But given recent events, i am glad we said no-for now

I've heard several people say this over the last few weeks.

It's refreshing levels of honesty. I believe if we had another referendum tomorrow No would win by an even bigger margin.

What a lucky escape we had in Sep 2014.

The independence debate timeframe exactly mirrored St Mirren's season. Was interesting at the beginning, people felt engaged, then it rapidly turned to shite with everyone falling out with each other and the end couldn't come quick enough.

Some would call it democracy Drew... unless you subscribe to the democratic approach of a two year old who throws a tantrum until it gets it's own way.

In essence I would agree with that BuddieinEK however we live in a country where currently, like it or not, SNP will hold a majority. So long as that's the case another referendum will be somewhere on the agenda.

Should another referendum be held, and the majority vote for independence, there will be plenty tantrum throwing by No voters saying it was undemocratic to have another democratic vote.

I've never publically, not even to my better half, declared my allegiances one way or another but the amount of posturing and hypocrisy from both sides has been cringeworthy in the extreme.

In essence I would agree with that BuddieinEK however we live in a country where currently, like it or not, SNP will hold a majority. So long as that's the case another referendum will be somewhere on the agenda.

Should another referendum be held, and the majority vote for independence, there will be plenty tantrum throwing by No voters saying it was undemocratic to have another democratic vote.

I've never publically, not even to my better half, declared my allegiances one way or another but the amount of posturing and hypocrisy from both sides has been cringeworthy in the extreme.

Fair comments Weebud.

The only thing I would add is that those advocating independence are more of a movement/belief/cause and shall rightly remain so if that is their belief.

The "no" movement was more of a response by the majority necessitated in response to that opposing cause.

I genuinely believe that had the majority voted for independence, there would have been a more gracious acceptance of the result by those who voted against it.

Some would call it democracy Drew... unless you subscribe to the democratic approach of a two year old who throws a tantrum until it gets it's own way.

I think it was more about demography than democracy, Brian, and I'm not sure where the toddler and tantrum analogy comes into it.

Fair comments Weebud.

The only thing I would add is that those advocating independence are more of a movement/belief/cause and shall rightly remain so if that is their belief.

The "no" movement was more of a response by the majority necessitated in response to that opposing cause.

I genuinely believe that had the majority voted for independence, there would have been a more gracious acceptance of the result by those who voted against it.

The "no" movement? lol.gif

Mostly Loyalists (how do you like them bedfellows?) and OAPs giving in to the scare stories that they would lose their Pensions IMHO. Quite a few 'no" voters have been lost this winter...

ETA 'Gracious acceptance? From the Orcs? fish.gif

Edited by Vambo57

Fair comments Weebud.

That strikes me as a very simplistic take on things. My 'belief set' (if you want to call it that) is very different to others who support independence. I favour an independent Republic, out of NATO for a start. I share more views with some friends who shat it than I do with some who voted YES.

Hardly a 'movement'.

Mostly Loyalists (how do you like them bedfellows?) and OAPs giving in to the scare stories that they would lose their Pensions IMHO. Quite a few 'no" voters have been lost this winter...

Aye, gracious acceptance indeed. It seems to me that many unionists are the very ones who keep harping back to the campaign and outcome, and just can't let it go.

I think some of the recent posts add credence to my view that what started off as an interesting and involved debate degenerated into a fractious and un-necessary exchange of insult and counter-insult. Personally I was neither in the 'shat it' 'no' camp, nor was I in the rabid 'yes' camp.

I happened to vote yes, my wife voted no. We both had our reasons, we both exercised our democratic right to vote as we saw fit.

If anyone disagrees with the way we voted, fair enough. That should be the end of it.

Now, can we crack on with our lives, trying to do the best we can for ourselves and our families, without beating each other over the napper with big fcuking sticks marked 'yes' or 'no'?

I think some of the recent posts add credence to my view that what started off as an interesting and involved debate degenerated into a fractious and un-necessary exchange of insult and counter-insult. Personally I was neither in the 'shat it' 'no' camp, nor was I in the rabid 'yes' camp.

I happened to vote yes, my wife voted no. We both had our reasons, we both exercised our democratic right to vote as we saw fit.

If anyone disagrees with the way we voted, fair enough. That should be the end of it.

Now, can we crack on with our lives, trying to do the best we can for ourselves and our families, without beating each other over the napper with big fcuking sticks marked 'yes' or 'no'?

Pozbaird's missus shat it, nah nah nah nah!

Shull started it!

Fair comments Weebud.

There were enough "No" voters who weren't particularly gracious in victory to have an idea that there were plenty enough muppets on either side.....

Thank you for so ungraciously proving my point.

Amen to that ya separatist wank*r!

I think it was more about demography than democracy, Brian, and I'm not sure where the toddler and tantrum analogy comes into it.

Err... Demography over democracy?

So does your idea of democracy exclude some from voting?

Is democracy not about respecting the expressed will of the majority?

Re toddler tantrun... I suspect you understand fine but are being naughty in getting me to go further into it to start a rammy.

Not biting mon ami. :)