St Mirren V Hibernian Championship 2/4/16

shull

Much better in the second half.

Baird was MotM for me, and I thought Cooper also played well. Great finish across the keeper from Shankland.

When we started to press them, they were rattled, and we looked comfortable. Unfortunately, we reverted back to giving them too much space.

Rae needs to impress upon his players that they have to press opponents for 90 minutes. If we did that, we'd win more often than not.

Haven't we been winning more often than not recently?

Baird was MotM for me, and I thought Cooper also played well. Great finish across the keeper from Shankland.

When we started to press them, they were rattled, and we looked comfortable. Unfortunately, we reverted back to giving them too much space.

Rae needs to impress upon his players that they have to press opponents for 90 minutes. If we did that, we'd win more often than not.

There is certainly an inferiority complex at the club that will take time to change. We should be challenging for the title every season in this league but you only need to look at certain posters on this website to see the how ingrained the lack of ambition is now.

Happy to hear Baird had a good game, think this boy has potential to become a solid centre half at Premiership (Scottish) level.

1 of the most enjoyable games I've been to in a long time, took my mum with me today for a late Mother's Day present, she loved it. We were bossing it at 2-1 and I thought we were going to push for the 3rd but then they scored with a couple of minutes to go and we were rattled.

Shankland, Watson, copper, Baird were all excellent.

I don't think Webster lost a header today either.

Big shout out to cooper who I thought was positive everytime he picked the ball up today.

Might even go as far to say that this was the most decent game I have watched at home this season. Some good performances. I thought this was the best Webster has played for us. I hadn't been that impressed with Irvine so far but he looked quality today and Baird and Watson were also decent. Special mention to Quinn for playing in an unfamiliar role and proving to be a good foil for Shankland who also played the best I have seen him play.

It wasn't great but a hell of a lot better than usual and a worthwhile way to spend a Saturday afternoon for a change.

EDIT to ADD: We threw the game away when Quinn went off and we sat back when we were bossing the game. Hibs' bottle had crashed again but we sat back and let them back in. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Edited by Sonny

Not that I want to burst the positivity on the thread, but that would have been a fifth straight league defeat for Hibs if we didn't allow a man free in the box with a minute to go for the equaliser. If Webster and Baird played so well what is the problem? Lack of cover from midfield? Was Goodwin on at this point?

Not moaning, genuine questions for those who were there....

Passion, controversy, a great second goal, took the game to hibs and lo and behold the stadium had an atmosphere again. Irvine immense in first half, Watson, Baird and Webster played well. Really harried the leith team. Draw was probably fair overall but unlucky not to win. More attitude like this and l will be enjoying Saturday afternoons again

Might even go as far to say that this was the most decent game I have watched at home this season. Some good performances. I thought this was the best Webster has played for us. I hadn't been that impressed with Irvine so far but he looked quality today and Baird and Watson were also decent. Special mention to Quinn for playing in an unfamiliar role and proving to be a good foil for Shankland who also played the best I have seen him play.

It wasn't great but a hell of a lot better than usual and a worthwhile way to spend a Saturday afternoon for a change.

EDIT to ADD: We threw the game away when Quinn went off and we sat back when we were bossing the game. Hibs' bottle had crashed again but we sat back and let them back in. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Agree with everything you posted.

However, Quinn was running on empty, and as good as he was, he looked absolutely knackered.

Felt we deserved to win. Coped pretty well with what little Hibs threw at us towards the end. Bringing some more fresh legs might have made all the difference.

Was surprised when he went off since I thought Shanks was looking knacked. Only making 1 sub does surprise me and I feel the freshness of the hibs subs helped them get the late goa. Glad I stayed since it was a good 2nd half.

Agree with everything you posted.

However, Quinn was running on empty, and as good as he was, he looked absolutely knackered.

Agree Quinn was knackered. We were pressing and in control at that point but when Thommo came on we sat back and let let Hibs back into the game. We had chances to move the ball forward but tried to get corners/throw ins instead. I reckon we should have either brought on Goodwin if we were going to shut up shop or Gow to keep pressing them. We did neither and lost a late goal.

Goodwin must be close to triggering a years contract if he plays. That must be the only logical explanation for not bringing him on and closing out the game.

Stokes managed not to get booked despite two elbows and tackle that was as bad as the bookings in the first half.

I think both Shankland and Quinn were done in the last 15 minutes. We had a few chances to put this to bed and I would say we desrved better than a draw. Can't argue with Quinn as MotM but it was a close run thing with Webster, Watson and Baird all doing well.

First game in a long time where we deserved far more than we got.

So, THAT's what an entertaining Scottish fitba' game is like, with both teams going for it, goals, chances, a bit of needle and the obligatory inept wank with a whistle trying his best to ruin it?

It's been so long since I enjoyed a game for the game's sake, I'd forgotten.

Applauds to St Mirren and Hibs for serving up an enjoyable 90 minutes.

Yeah the Quinn for Thommo sub raised a few eyebrows at the time. That's the kind of sub you make when you're losing, not when you're winning.

Goodwin was on the bench, it was him who should have came on for Quinn. He goes deep, Mallan moves up.

Twenty twenty hindsight says that sub cost us two points.

Really enjoyed that. The big thing for me was that so many of the squad had, for me, their best games for us so far. Baird, Webster, Watson, Irvine, Shankland, Quinn and Cooper. Lovely to finally see a bit of dig as well.

That was the most enjoyable game of football I have witnessed at St Mirren Park all season. Played some decent stuff after an average first 30 mins.

Disappointing to lose such a late goal but showed some decent character to come from 1-0 down and should have seen out the game for a valuable home win but wasn't to be. Great to see so many fans applauding the players off at the end after such a spirited team performance.

Onwards and Upwards! :-)

Thoroughly enjoyed the match in the second half we really played well and Shankland's goal was terrific with good play leading up to it.Definitely two points dropped.The lad Baird was excellent and Webster had his best game for us.If anything we should have used all subs to run down time.Hibs had gone 4-2-4.Would have brought on Goody to shore things up and possibly Morgan to give us pace in the forward areas as McGregor and Hanlon were poor for Hibs.

Not that I want to burst the positivity on the thread, but that would have been a fifth straight league defeat for Hibs if we didn't allow a man free in the box with a minute to go for the equaliser. If Webster and Baird played so well what is the problem? Lack of cover from midfield? Was Goodwin on at this point?

Not moaning, genuine questions for those who were there....

St Mirren had two chances to clear and didn't thats where I would put the blame for Hibs second.

BTW St Mirrens first goal looked a good few yards offside. No idea what the assistant was doing. He didn't flinch with the flag but then he didn't signal the goal either. I don't think Quinn could believe it.

Certa

Yeah the Quinn for Thommo sub raised a few eyebrows at the time. That's the kind of sub you make when you're losing, not when you're winning.

Goodwin was on the bench, it was him who should have came on for Quinn. He goes deep, Mallan moves up.

Twenty twenty hindsight says that sub cost us two points.

It is not the 1st time this season he had came on with us in a winning position to blow it.. The more this season goes the more I see a bad reason why Goodwin don't got any time on the pitch huh.png

Our first was onside as the ball was actually played by the Hibs defender to Quinn. I actually thought Cummings was fractionally offside for their first goal.Anyway despite Mr Dickson once again trying to be controversial this was a splendid display by Saints more so given the difference in the two team's budgets.