Alex Rae - Report Card

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me a pass

Pros Team looks fitter

A lot more fight

Plays straightforward 4-4-2

Results are so much better especially at home

No out right duds signed in Jan

Cons some bizarre team selections

Gow

Agnew

football is mostly scrappy shite

no evidence that he can take Falkirk, Raith, Hibs, Rangers and that's where we want to be.

Better than Murray. Ask me again this time next year once he's had two transfer windows to cull the shite signed by previous incumbents and bring in his own shite. Sorry, build his own team capable of mixing it with what could be Dundee United, Partick/Killie, Hibs/Falkirk etc.

No doubt it, certainly a pass so far, the mans got to given chance. Provided we are safe from relegation this season, which I am happy to predict we seem to be, albeit mathematically relegation is still a possibility, even although its a small chance. 2016/17 will give us St.Mirren supporters a better idea on how Alex Rae is performing as a manager and St.Mirren FC overall.

Many of the current squad will have to go and certainly a few players added, but given budget to do so I am sure Alex Rae will get it right. Shull could not have put it better, the question should be asked in a years time.

Only an idiot would argue that the situation hasn't improved since Rae arrived. It's not pretty nor skilful, but we are winning more games than we're losing.

I'll judge Rae properly when he has put his own squad together over the summer and has a (hopefully) motivated squad ready to start the season, as opposed to a squad who currently seem to have largely given up and seem incapable of stringing two passes together.

Doing ok so far but the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. I don't understand why he persists with such a lightweight midfield with Agnew and Mallan.

Next season will be the time to judge him as he will have been able to build his team.

Kendo usually agree with most of your comments however he did augment the midfield yesterday with the inclusion of Carswell.Unfortunately Quinn is still unavailable.Goodwin would have struggled badly on that awful pitch.As I have stated previously Rae has improved us but we are not safe just yet.Livi have a game in hand and are at home to Alloa this Saturday whilst we play Hibs.Sons have two games in hand and in April they have a run of three home games in quick succession.So we have a bit to do yet.

Alex Rae's remit was to keep us in the division and it looks like he's done that this season so well done for that because we did looked doomed under Murray.

Next season he should be judged on points and performances because some of the football we have been watching has been pretty dreadful - we hardly string 5 passes together.

Looking to next season it will be interesting to see who is in his plans from the current squad. I'm disappointed we've not seen more of Goodwin since his return from injury, for me he still has a lot to offer the team both on and off the park.

some of the football we have been watching has been pretty dreadful - we hardly string 5 passes together.

That's because the odds are that a move breaks down after 5 passes!

Why would you want to string 5 passes together when 50% of all goals come from a move of 1 pass or less!

Leicester City make less passes than anyone in the Premiership. They have the worst passing accuracy and the least amount of possession. They also play more long balls than any other team, most of which are unsuccessful and give the ball away more than anyone else.

But, crucially, of the passes the do make, they make a greater % in the attacking third than any other team... And its usually on the break against disorganised defences.

And they are going to win the fcuking league!

Edited by nosferatu

That's because the odds are that a move breaks down after 5 passes!

Why would you want to string 5 passes together when 50% of all goals come from a move of 1 pass or less!

Leicester City make less passes than anyone in the Premiership. They have the worst passing accuracy and the least amount of possession. They also play more long balls than any other team, most of which are unsuccessful and give the ball away more than anyone else.

But, crucially, of the passes the do make, they make a greater % in the attacking third than any other team... And its usually on the break against disorganised defences.

And they are going to win the fcuking league!

Regardless Nosferatu - Rae said he was going to abandon the "tippy tappy" shite and start playing the ball long yet on Saturday St Mirren players were over passing the ball around the back line and when they tried to go forward in any way shape or form it was usually at a slow place and with very little competency. So either the players aren't listening to him or he's changed his mind completely - which would be utterly bizarre given the lack of quality at the club.

I've voted Fail in the poll. I predicted Rae wouid be a success, keep St Mirren up and turn things around. He's probably kept St Mirren up, but I can't think of any player he has improved over the course of the last four months.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Kendo usually agree with most of your comments however he did augment the midfield yesterday with the inclusion of Carswell.Unfortunately Quinn is still unavailable.Goodwin would have struggled badly on that awful pitch.As I have stated previously Rae has improved us but we are not safe just yet.Livi have a game in hand and are at home to Alloa this Saturday whilst we play Hibs.Sons have two games in hand and in April they have a run of three home games in quick succession.So we have a bit to do yet.

I don't understand the Goodwin thing. If the pitch was deemed suitable to play Thompson for 35 minutes or more then why not Goodwin?

As for the run in basically Livi have 6 games left and they need to win 3 draw 1 and hope we lose our last 5. Dumbarton need to win 3 of their last 7 and hope we lose all our games. I think that we should be OK.

Regardless Nosferatu - Rae said he was going to abandon the "tippy tappy" shite and start playing the ball long yet on Saturday St Mirren players were over passing the ball around the back line and when they tried to go forward in any way shape or form it was usually at a slow place and with very little competency. So either the players aren't listening to him or he's changed his mind completely - which would be utterly bizarre given the lack of quality at the club.

I've voted Fail in the poll. I predicted Rae wouid be a success, keep St Mirren up and turn things around. He's probably kept St Mirren up, but I can't think of any player he has improved over the course of the last four months.

You predicted Rae would be a success yet deem him a failure after less than half a season while he has improved team results albeit not performances? What would you have considered success when Rae got the job bearing in mind the cluster*ck of Murray's recruitment and where we were points wise? Surely any manager should be judged when given time to rectify mistakes and put his own stamp on the club? Alex has had to work mainly with what he inherited so this season was going to be about ensuring we stay in this division and begin a rebuilding exercise for next season. Even if we had got into the play offs I personally do not think we are strong or good enough to get promotion.

He's been a huge success since he arrived.

We were what, 12 points behind Morton when he was appointed and just ahead of Livi in 9th. We are now 10 ahead of the relegation zone and only 1 point behind Morton.

Of course his real test is next season, where he needs to get us in the top 4 if he wants a new contract.

He's been a huge success since he arrived.

We were what, 12 points behind Morton when he was appointed and just ahead of Livi in 9th. We are now 10 ahead of the relegation zone and only 1 point behind Morton.

Of course his real test is next season, where he needs to get us in the top 4 if he wants a new contract.

Damn that was almost a beautiful post but you spoiled it with that last sentence.

If he gets us top 4... Why the hell would he want a new contract here?

Damn that was almost a beautiful post but you spoiled it with that last sentence.

If he gets us top 4... Why the hell would he want a new contract here?

I think he would. You think he will get a better club? It's possible I suppose, but top 4 would be par for us next year.

I mean Ray McKinnon has done it in his first season with Raith. That is more of achievement than if Rae does it with us next year. I don't see a rabble of bigger clubs banging down Raiths door for McKinnon though. I. think the only way he will get poached is if we win the league or get close to it.

I think there's four outcomes for Rae next season, same as Murray this season.

1) In a relegation battle at Christmas = sacked

2) Fail to make the playoffs = contract not renewed.

3) Make the playoffs = contract renewed

4) win the league = probably moves to a bigger club.

I see from a quote Dickson can't see a single player improved by Rae. In terms of fitness and attitude every single one of them have improved under Rae as has the desire not to lose. What more could you expect as no one can make a silk purse from a sows ear. Clearly Mr Dickson has been more impressed than most given his recent motivation to attend !

I think he would. You think he will get a better club? It's possible I suppose, but top 4 would be par for us next year.

I mean Ray McKinnon has done it in his first season with Raith. That is more of achievement than if Rae does it with us next year. I don't see a rabble of bigger clubs banging down Raiths door for McKinnon though. I. think the only way he will get poached is if we win the league or get close to it.

I think there's four outcomes for Rae next season, same as Murray this season.

1) In a relegation battle at Christmas = sacked

2) Fail to make the playoffs = contract not renewed.

3) Make the playoffs = contract renewed

4) win the league = probably moves to a bigger club.

There's also Houston who has got Falkirk to the playoffs.

A pass, but only just.

The football remains rotten and I would say there are some good players in the squad who continue to under perform.

Not using Goodwin and Thompson is lunacy too.

I don't care whether he uses Goodwin or Thompson but I don't see players enjoying their football, being played to their strengths and being played to push their capabilities. That's why I failed Rae. His team selections, IMO, have been indicitive of a manager who has been prepared to give players a chance to prove what they've got. That's fine, he needs to decide who to keep and who to bin.....but what I can't understand is why players who fail time and time again appear to be untouchable. Players like Agnew, Mallan, and Stewart should have been way past their last lives by now.

Obvious trolling I know, and I'm not usually one to bite...

Got to laugh at the idea that a midfielder who has scored 11 goals aswell as numerous assists should be 'past his last life'. In the last 4 games, when his form hasn't been great... He's still chipped in with 2 goals and an assist.

Edited by TopCat