Back Of The Net Exhibition 6 Of 11

thewhiteman

Back of the Net Exhibition 6 of 11

http://www.smisa.net/

http://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/member/paisley-museum-and-art-galleries

THE FERGIE YEARS

Alex Ferguson signed as St Mirren manager in 1975, his first full-time managerial post. He took the team to the top division transforming them by bringing in younger players (average age of the team was 19) and playing superb attacking football before being sacked in 1978. He then went to Aberdeen, winning the league with them three times, the Scottish Cup four times, the League Cup and two European Cups before moving to Old Trafford, where he managed Manchester United for the next 26 years and became a legend both at the club and throughout football management. St Mirren have the honour of being the only club ever to have sacked him, with the then chairman stating that Fergie had "no managerial ability".......

“I remember Fergie driving round Paisley with 3 or 4 players in his car before a game with a loudspeaker urging the Paisley public to get down to Love Street and see a fantastic game of football today. And you know what it worked! The man was a king, the best manager that ever lived.” – C.F.

“Sir Alex is a legend, and a hero of mine for what he did at Love Street - Tony Fitzpatrick captain as a teenager, McGarvey, Stark, Richardson as a core - he produced a Saints team that feared nobody!

Best game of football I have EVER witnessed was our 4-1 victory over Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup – they were sitting near the top of the Premier Division while we were still in the First! I think it was 26 games undefeated in the First Division, on our way to the top league where we stayed for over a decade, thanks in a large way to the foundations and expectations Fergie set.

Why did he leave? Many contrasting stories - whatever the reason, I'm not ashamed to say that when I saw the headline in the PDE, I wept! He gave me my best Saints memories in his relatively short time here - and got me hooked for life!” – B.K.

“I started watching Saints in ‘68 and have followed them since. Fergie was a God at St Mirren and will always be for what he did for the club and the town. I felt let down when he left and I suppose we will never get the truth as to why he went.” – M.E.

“I remember tears coming to my eyes in Haymarket Station in Edinburgh when I read the news that St. Mirren had fired Alex Ferguson. And the sad thing about that is that I was 30-odd years old at the time!” – Alan C.