Strachan

No one obviously this Season ! However my comment was based on past years with many good players for Saints who were capped months after leaving us (including McGinn and Kenny) that was all ! Would Tierney be capped if he was at a provisional club? Thanks for all the sarcastic crap, from the usual suspects bye!

No one obviously this Season ! However my comment was based on past years with many good players for Saints who were capped months after leaving us (including McGinn and Kenny) that was all ! Would Tierney be capped if he was at a provisional club? Thanks for all the sarcastic crap, from the usual suspects bye!

No, he would not.

As for Saints players, it's been this way since I started supporting the team.

No sooner had guys like Bobby McKean, Frank McGarvey, Frank MacAvennie, Steve Clarke and Ian Ferguson left the club then they were capped for Scotland.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

I thought he already was at a Provisional club.

Just in from game. Well played john mcginn, cracking game, tackling, passing, shooting, even picked up a booking in a friendly. Good drive. Re the thread, it's frustrating and a common problem but i don't think there's a debate that he's improved as a player.

Ha ha !..,pre txt is great , yes provincial being the original intent ...but thanks for rest of the constructive feedback ,more in line with my post! Following on from the recent list an older injustice was Jim Clunie who was overlooked in favour of McKinnon who was average , but played in Govan!

I think the OP is a bit harsh on Strachan (not that I like Strachan much). McGinn didn't have a good season last year and although I am a fan of his play it's stretching things a little far to say that 2 seasons ago when he was 19 and playing well he should have been in the Scotland first team squad, when he was only breaking into the Scotland U21 squad at the time.

Likewise McLean has done well to step up from being a U21 squad member and not always getting a game there to earning his move to Aberdeen, and playing well in their first team during their title challenge this season to breaking into the international first team squad.

I'd agree that back in the 80's we had a lot of decent players who should have got [more] caps at the club and after they got moves away to bigger clubs (Billy Thomson, Campbell Money, Steve Clarke, Brian Martin. Billy Stark, Peter Weir, Tony Fitzpatrick, Paul Lambert, Billy Davies, Iain Ferguson, Frank McGarvey, Frank McAvennie) but it has been a while since we had that calibre of player and I don't think we can complain about Strachan's non-inclusion of Jim Clunie too much or say that he hasn't introduced McLean and McGinn at roughly the right time (in between campaigns)

Why would Strachan be responsible for not picking Clunie ? My point was a general comment on Scottish National managers over the years, however one Scottish manager was an exception , he did pick young Saints for full the squad ...namely Weir,Thompson & Munro.....the late Jock Stein, PS I don't have any real dislike of Strachan as such just the topic he raised!

No, he would not.

As for Saints players, it's been this way since I started supporting the team.

No sooner had guys like Bobby McKean, Frank McGarvey, Frank MacAvennie, Steve Clarke and Ian Ferguson left the club then they were capped for Scotland.

Didn't MacAvennie play against Australia while with St.Mirren.

Ha ha !..,pre txt is great , yes provincial being the original intent ...but thanks for rest of the constructive feedback ,more in line with my post! Following on from the recent list an older injustice was Jim Clunie who was overlooked in favour of McKinnon who was average , but played in Govan!

And Colin Jackson FFS