Drummers

pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS

So that's two votes for Moon the Loon, mine makes three.

Seriously, listen to Live at Leeds, Who's Next and Quadrophenia and tell me I'm wrong. The only drummer ever who played lead. And not during a solo.

I get the moon / animal link but always thought there was a bit of Bonham to animal as well.

Guest TPAFKATS

I thought davej played bass.

Stewart Copeland is a very good drummer. I like the less is more approach to bin hitting. The smaller the kit the better.

We're looking for a drummer, incidentally, so if anyone fancies joining the Geriartic Monkeys, give me a shout.

Talking of Bonham, created such a great sound from a small kit.

Ginger Baker

Jon Hiseman

Jeff Porcaro

It's an age thing. The best drummers I ever saw live were Nick Mason and Jack Casey both on the same bill at the Electric Gardens in late 1969. Jack who? you are saying. Well he was the drummer in the Stoics who were the support band. They played their set of 4 numbers and he did the obligatory 8 minute drum solo (well it was 1969) to great applause and off they went. Then someone came on and said Floyd were stuck in the fog on a plane in Manchester and 15 minutes later the Stoics came back on played the same 4 numbers with the same 8 minute drum solo. Floyd didn't come on till about 10.30pm - by which time the poor bugger had played the solo another twice but did he wilt - wilt he did not. Then Floyd came on and blew the audience away - but they only got to play 4 numbers (listen to the Ummagumma live set) before Glasgow's finest stopped the gig on the grounds that the noise was disturbing the students in the halls of residence along the street, Even the heartfelt cry of "fùck off we're all in here" fell on deaf ears. Happy days.

Also Ted McKenna (Dream Police,Tear Gas, Alex Harvey and Rory Gallacher) could hold a rhythm back in the day.

I only have two. The bloke who stood in for Mogwai's drummer on their Canadian tour and hung a Saints scarf off his drum kit. And Davej.....

That was James Hamilton (see my earlier post).

Two votes for him, then.. He'll be delighted!

So that's two votes for Moon the Loon, mine makes three.

Seriously, listen to Live at Leeds, Who's Next and Quadrophenia and tell me I'm wrong. The only drummer ever who played lead. And not during a solo.

Indeed , mad as a very mad thing but Keith Moon was by far the best . Clem Burke and Zak Starkey ( Zak was trained by Keith apparently) both made good attempts at duplicating Moon's style but Moon's art was still way above. .

Such was his style that you could play me the exact same Who song and I could tell you in seconds whether it was Jones , Starkey or indeed the Looney himself. .

I thought davej played bass.

Stewart Copeland is a very good drummer. I like the less is more approach to bin hitting. The smaller the kit the better.

We're looking for a drummer, incidentally, so if anyone fancies joining the Geriartic Monkeys, give me a shout.

What is in your set?

Yeah, Keith Moon was amazing, so was John Bonham. Both would easily be in my top 10, along with Simon Phillips, Phil Collins (even just for the track 'Los Endos' when played live), and the mighty Max Weinberg of the E Street band, who has minimal kit and anchors three-and-a-half-hour long live sets.

Many, many more, but I would encourage rock fans to listen to Journey's Steve Smith, or check out live footage of them live. Brilliant, brilliant drummer.

Keith Moon was a legend though. Behind the madman persona was a mighty fine drummer.

And closes...https://youtu.be/9esWG6A6g-k

None of this matched grip nonsense

Aye, ever since I went to my first gig in 1974 I kept an eye out for that matched grip pish. Any of that nonsense and I walked out in disgust!

Bottom line, if a 13 year old lassie thinks the touring drummer with One Direction is the best drummer in the world, then he is to her, and that's all that matters.

Who is the best drummer? Who was better between Pele and Maradona? Ronaldo and Messi? Agnew and, erm, eh....