Diddy Cup Revamp.

I see there revamping the petrofac cup to include Northern Ireland premier league clubs , welsh premier league and highland league

Think this would be greAt. Hopefully could get a wee tv deal out of it and make it that the other nations teams only cone into play in later rounds. Could be sone great away days and great opportunity to play different teams

Thoughts?

Seems like utter madness to me. It's a proposal of course, not confirmed. Almost certainly won't come to fruition.

Would there really be any interest in Peterhead v The New Saints on a Tuesday night? Or Ballymena v Clyde?

No. Let's leave it as it is.

Seems like utter madness to me. It's a proposal of course, not confirmed. Almost certainly won't come to fruition.

Would there really be any interest in Peterhead v The New Saints on a Tuesday night? Or Ballymena v Clyde?

Aye cos the motorways are blocked with people trying to get to Peterhead vs Clyde matches at the moment......

This is something different and will appeal IMO - certainly in the short term.

Almost none of our lower league clubs will ever have played competitively against teams from another country.

Maybe we should be asking them what they think instead of sitting here in our ivory towers looking down our noses.

Aye cos the motorways are blocked with people trying to get to Peterhead vs Clyde matches at the moment......

This is something different and will appeal IMO - certainly in the short term.

Almost none of our lower league clubs will ever have played competitively against teams from another country.

Maybe we should be asking them what they think instead of sitting here in our ivory towers looking down our noses.

Missing the point completely.

These clubs run on a part time basis, with most of their players working during the week.

The cost for a club like Peterhead or Elgin to get to south Wales midweek, stay over in a hotel and get back would be huge. And then their squad would all need to take at least a day off their full time job.

And for what? There's no chance this will happen.

No. Let's leave it as it is.

The company I work for was approached for sponsorship and this was very much the proposal.

Welsh, NI and Premier League 'Colt' teams would all be involved.

The company I work for was approached for sponsorship and this was very much the proposal.

Welsh, NI and Premier League 'Colt' teams would all be involved.

Don't doubt it's been proposed. All manner of nonsense is, and this is the latest.

I would be surprised that they would come to us with a concept. I'd be reasonably confident that this will be the format next season.

Well I imagine the idea would be.... They secure sponsorship and then take it to the leagues for a vote.

As in ' We have these sponsors willing to commit '£X' to this format, shall we do it? ' and it's voted in or not.

Can't imagine they will get much sponsorship interest. Certainly not enough for them to persuade 2 fully part time leagues and several part time clubs in Scotland to vote it in.

Well I imagine the idea would be.... They secure sponsorship and then take it to the leagues for a vote.

As in ' We have these sponsors willing to commit '£X' to this format, shall we do it? ' and it's voted in or not.

Can't imagine they will get much sponsorship interest. Certainly not enough for them to persuade 2 fully part time leagues and several part time clubs in Scotland to vote it in.

Not quite. If you are approached to be the headline sponsor then I'm pretty certain you've got to have things locked down.

It's not like trying to start an event from scratch and looking for sponsors to get it off the ground.

Not quite. If you are approached to be the headline sponsor then I'm pretty certain you've got to have things locked down.

It's not like trying to start an event from scratch and looking for sponsors to get it off the ground.

So you think this has been agreed by the three football associations? If so, how come we haven't heard anything about it today?

It would need to be a very lucrative sponsorship deal to get small part time clubs to commit to such long travel.

Edited by TopCat

So you think this has been agreed by the three football associations? If so, how come we haven't heard anything about it today?

It would need to be a very lucrative sponsorship deal to get small part time clubs to commit to such long travel.

I read something this week that said this year will be the last of the present format before the new one starts next season. At present the draw was a north/south divide to avoid long midweek traveling so the idea of uk cup is stupid. Would any player full time or part time really want to travel many hundreds of miles to play 90mins of football in front of a handful of fans ? We have enough diddy teams in Scotland without bringing in the Welsh and the Irish diddies.

I read something this week that said this year will be the last of the present format before the new one starts next season. At present the draw was a north/south divide to avoid long midweek traveling so the idea of uk cup is stupid. Would any player full time or part time really want to travel many hundreds of miles to play 90mins of football in front of a handful of fans ? We have enough diddy teams in Scotland without bringing in the Welsh and the Irish diddies.

Indeed.

I forgot the early rounds of this trophy are already regionalised. That's to lessen the midweek travel burden on teams.

Yet suddenly they're going to make it UK wide? Makes no sense, for footballing or financial reasons.

Indeed.

I forgot the early rounds of this trophy are already regionalised. That's to lessen the midweek travel burden on teams.

Yet suddenly they're going to make it UK wide? Makes no sense, for footballing or financial reasons.

Make the early rounds regional then the later stages with all countries involved would generate a lot more interest than there currently is in the cup or in the Welsh and Irish leagues.

Just about wether there would be enough money involved so clubs aren't losing out.

Missing the point completely.

These clubs run on a part time basis, with most of their players working during the week.

The cost for a club like Peterhead or Elgin to get to south Wales midweek, stay over in a hotel and get back would be huge. And then their squad would all need to take at least a day off their full time job.

And for what? There's no chance this will happen.

Easily solved. You make the groups stages local and only the top teams play cross country games for the QF, SF and Final.

We are maybe only talking about 3 games or so.

Maybe those cross country games will be on a Saturday.

Football fans are way too quick to write off every suggestion made to try and change things a bit.

ETA Ach beaten to it by another poster.

Edited by oaksoft