Sean Kelly?

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

It was patently obvious to most fans that Sean was/is better than a lot of players that were retained or brought in - we possibly assumed that there was something going on behind the scenes that explained the baffling decision to let him go. As previously stated by many on here he would have contributed much to the Saints' cause either at centre half or left midfield.

Best of luck at Wimbledon Sean.

How do you know how much he would have contributed? That's just whatiffery.

I tend to cut players slack as a rule, but I wasn't disappointed when I heard that Kelly had left. He seemed to have run out of steam in terms of his St Mirren career, and, with a small squad, we cannot afford the luxury of holding onto players who might pick up and do a job for us. I'm assuming that was in Rae's thinking.

Edited by Drew

His lack of fitness, lack of positioning, along with lack of noticeable development meant we were quite right to let him go. Hardly a standout in what was a pretty poor defensive unit, with his best contributions arguably coming when he was played in a more advanced position.

He's done surprisingly well to make it down to Wimbledon, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

How do you know how much he would have contributed? That's just whatiffery.

I tend to cut players slack as a rule, but I wasn't disappointed when I heard that Kelly had left. He seemed to have run out of steam in terms of his St Mirren career, and, with a small squad, we cannot afford the luxury of holding onto players who might pick up and do a job for us. I'm assuming that was in Rae's thinking.

That's simple - by comparing his performances in central defence/midfield with what is on offer in the current squad. The present fullbacks are no better defensively and certainly lack Kelly's attacking/creative skills. 

We are particularly lacking in creativity in central midfield at the moment and do seem incapable of controlling that area of the park. Kelly is better there than what we have got in the current squad.

I think it was more than Kelly who had "run out of steam" last season.

Edited by northstbuddie

I've come to the conclusion that senior football is like acting these days. It's much more about the ability of your agent than it is about the ability of the footballer. Kelly gets a move to AFC Wimbledon but a far better full back - Lewis Kidd - moves from QoS to Falkirk.

Perhaps backing up that point Lewis Kids younger brother Blair - capped at Under 16 and 17 level by the International Squad and a lad I know well and rate very highly - hasn't found a club at all yet having been released by Celtic.

On the radio last Saturday I listened to Allan Preston talking about Jai Quitongo, the latest Morton wonder kid. He said he was delighted for Jai because so few clubs were willing to take a chance on him. I know Jai well too. He's been a friend of my son's for 15 years now. He's been at Hearts, Hibs, Hamilton, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Morton IIRC. He's just turned 19 years old. Hes always had talent but his attitude can be suspect. Yet the lad clearly has people in the game who haven't given up pushing him forward to clubs pressing them to take a chance.

Kelly appears to have a very good agent. Anyone know who it is?

23 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

The present fullbacks are no better defensively and certainly lack Kelly's attacking/creative skills. 

That may be your opinion - not a fact.

I disagree. Kelly was never that good defensively , in my opinion.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I agree that Kelly was never that good defensively but the present full backs are no better defensively.

My opinion as against your "fact"?

I've come to the conclusion that senior football is like acting these days. It's much more about the ability of your agent than it is about the ability of the footballer. Kelly gets a move to AFC Wimbledon but a far better full back - Lewis Kidd - moves from QoS to Falkirk.

Perhaps backing up that point Lewis Kids younger brother Blair - capped at Under 16 and 17 level by the International Squad and a lad I know well and rate very highly - hasn't found a club at all yet having been released by Celtic.

On the radio last Saturday I listened to Allan Preston talking about Jai Quitongo, the latest Morton wonder kid. He said he was delighted for Jai because so few clubs were willing to take a chance on him. I know Jai well too. He's been a friend of my son's for 15 years now. He's been at Hearts, Hibs, Hamilton, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Morton IIRC. He's just turned 19 years old. Hes always had talent but his attitude can be suspect. Yet the lad clearly has people in the game who haven't given up pushing him forward to clubs pressing them to take a chance.

Could it be that maybe your opinion is wrong and that of Neil Eardley - who has been very
Impressed with Sean during his trial period - is right? Was it his agent playing for Sean in those friendlies or...?

I'm not surprised that Sean is making the step up to League 1 in England, he's a fine young player who I think will do well down there.

It certainly is a bit frustrating knowing we let Sean go when you see our current options at left back. We have Gary Irvine, who's actually a right back who's over the hill and has been poor so far this season and Jordan Stewart who's an untested kid.

I like Kelly.

The style Rae plays doesn't suit him, so I'm not surprised he was let go. He's a good centre half, a decent left midfielder, and an okayish inconsistent left back. Very good at link up play. 

Good luck to him. 

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

2 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I agree that Kelly was never that good defensively but the present full backs are no better defensively.

My opinion as against your "fact"?

Matters would go a lot more smoothly if you read my post properly.

I made it quite clear that it was my opinion and that I disagree with yours, as I am of the opinion that what we have now is better than we had from  Kelly latterly.

Edited by FTOF

Matters would go a lot more smoothly if you read my post properly.

I made it quite clear that it was my opinion and that I disagree with yours, as I am of the opinion that what we have now is better than had in Kelly.

You really think Stewart and Irvine are an improvement on Kelly? Based on what exactly?

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

think it may be his dad stuart, his brother Liam is at Livvy[on loan from Rangers]but don`t think his dad is agent] and I think we`1ve just signed the youngest brother who is another keeper into the academy

FWIW I liked Kelly going forward, sometimes caught on his heels v a pacey winger and def gets forward more than Irvine.........noticeable too how little Naismith is getting into box of opposition this year

we are playing a different style,hitting the big forward to hold the ball up for those supporting midfielders,chaNGED when Morgan played,ball to feet and running at defenders 

I've been impressed by the little I've seen of Stewart so far. Irvine seems to be a no fuss leftback, relatively solid defensively without doing too much going forward - which is fine if someone like Morgan is in front of him. They may not be an improvement on Kelly but I wouldn't necessarily say they were worse either.

As I've said before, Kelly is about the only one of the binned players I'd have considered keeping but it wasn't a huge surprise to see him let go after barely featuring in the second half of last season. Not convinced he's good enough for League One though.

Of course, a few of the more excitable posters would have you believe Rae binned Kelly because he's a Celtic fan :rolleyes:

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Could it be that maybe your opinion is wrong and that of Neil Eardley - who has been very
Impressed with Sean during his trial period - is right? Was it his agent playing for Sean in those friendlies or...?

I'm not surprised that Sean is making the step up to League 1 in England, he's a fine young player who I think will do well down there.

Of course I could be wrong. Lewis Morgan has started off this season proving me wrong and to be honest I'm delighted about that. I just hope he can keep up the good form. But the agent thing has to be a factor. The only game where Kelly stood out for me that I attended was the St Mirren v Newcastle pre season friendly where Newcastle distroyed St Mirren without ever getting out of neutral. If a scout was watching him in the rest of the matches I saw I doubt he'd have been entertained anywhere other then the lower leagues of Scottish Football. His agent has obviously pulled some strings and got him trials at Partick Thistle and at AFC Wimbledon and he's eventually managed to impress enough to get a contract. 

1 hour ago, car-d bud said:

think it may be his dad stuart, his brother Liam is at Livvy[on loan from Rangers]but don`t think his dad is agent] and I think we`1ve just signed the youngest brother who is another keeper into the academy

FWIW I liked Kelly going forward, sometimes caught on his heels v a pacey winger and def gets forward more than Irvine.........noticeable too how little Naismith is getting into box of opposition this year

we are playing a different style,hitting the big forward to hold the ball up for those supporting midfielders,chaNGED when Morgan played,ball to feet and running at defenders 

Well that could well be the case. I know in the case of Jai Quitongo his Dad obviously had an effect when it came to opening doors and providing contacts. Jai's a good player and I think this will be his breakthrough season at Morton, it's just I struggle to understand how some players - who seem to have had a flawed, failed or troubled career to date - seem to be able to line up trial after trial, whilst others who do look impressive drop out of the game. 

14 hours ago, TopCat said:

You really think Stewart and Irvine are an improvement on Kelly? Based on what exactly?

I really should let FTOF answer this but it's fairly clear that it's based on watching all three play.

Now like I said earlier in the thread Kelly's Saints career started off well but his form/confidence slumped during the Craig/Teale/Murray nightmare. I'd have liked to have seen Kelly get a chance to turn things around here but a manager with an 18 month contract (effectively one season with his own team!) can hardly be blamed for basing his decisions on what he believes is best in the short term.

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I really should let FTOF answer this but it's fairly clear that it's based on watching all three play.

Now like I said earlier in the thread Kelly's Saints career started off well but his form/confidence slumped during the Craig/Teale/Murray nightmare. I'd have liked to have seen Kelly get a chance to turn things around here but a manager with an 18 month contract (effectively one season with his own team!) can hardly be blamed for basing his decisions on what he believes is best in the short term.

I hadn't seen Lex's post until you quoted it. He's one of the many wind bags I have on ignore.:D

I feel both Stewart and Irvine are far more solid defenders and fitter too. I also believe that Stewart offers more going forward.

Just my opinion mind you.

Edited by FTOF