As Good As It Gets..?

What do you mean by "being released"?

Did Bosman pass you by?

Players are either in or out of contract. Clubs can't hold on to the registration of players if they are out of contract anymore!

Alex Rae will already know the names of every player in Scotland and many of those in England and beyond are will be coming to the end of their contracts!

Ffs when I say released I mean that they are out of contract or like us, may be released early and paid off. You are being pedantic as ever mate. Whether Alex knows of every player coming to the end of their contract is debatable.

LP sometimes your comments are fine but on this occasion afraid you are way out of line.Last time I checked the table we were level with Queens.I don't think at this stage they or Morton have made any pre contract signings as indeed Hamilton Killie or Utd not knowing where they will be competing next season.Rae has done a great job in the short time at the club and it is my belief that we have the nucleus of a decent squad for next season.The likes of Gary Irvine will be here the return of Naismith and both Cooper and Gallagher keen to extend their contracts.Looking forward to next season and will be renewing three season tickets shortly.

I am going by what the manager has said in a press interview, not my opinion. Rae has said he cant make the plans he wants to which I assume means who he wants to make offers to retain as well as those he has identified elsewhere who will be available at the season end. Lets not forget a fair bit was made of Rae contacts in the game, especially down south.

As you point out there may be players keen to extend their contracts that Rae wants, who may end up elsewhere as the manager cannot yet make them an offer!

We could lose good players as well as fail to land targets because the board are doing what they have done for the last few seasons... Refusing to give the manager a budget in timely fashion to work with.

Paton the Dundee Utd captain quoted today says "he is worried given the quality of teams in the championship, if relegated they may never come back up".....

To the posters who towards the end of last season said "it will do us good to go down, big clear out, get promoted again".... The above players quote should be seen as a reality check. At present with the resources and facilities at the clubs disposal we are seventh best in the championship, and could end up sixth or eighth best!!!

We need the change of ownership, direction and leadership if we are to continue to exist, it is time to step up, join Smisa and take some responsibility, there is no one else going to do it! If you don't step up, the club will continue to fail.

LPM- You never fail ( well apart from 95% of your posts) to disappoint. Do you work for the Daily Star?

Your title? Did you start supporting Saints in November? If so , yes. Staying in division is as good as it gets.

For us seasoned Saints dafties, it gets a whole lot better and it can also be a whole lot worse. AR at least stopped the rot that Craig and then Murray had set in.

Next season is miles away. The BOD will not destroy anyones hopes, as that will also destroy ST sales potential.

Personally I feel we have made enough progress to suggest we will challenge a top 4 spot next year.

I am looking forward to having Utd and probably Hibs or Killie or Hamilton.

We have played Raith, Falkirk and Hibs recently and nothing there scares me other than the fact we cant keep losing late goals. Seem to remember Gus had same issue.

we need young Naismith back, Mallan will go , several will be put out to grass, and no doubt we will pick up some players. Lets see.

Fact is the future is far rosier now than it was 6 months ago. Under Murray it would have been relegation

Not sure. Does anyone know the difference in prize money between 6th and 8th. I don't imagine it is that much (in footballing terms anyway).

Found this on - line - Scottish Championship

Position Payment 1 £474,750 2 £400,900 3 £337,600 4 £274,300 5 £211,000 6 £189,900 7 £179,350 8 £168,800 9 £158,250 10 £147,700

Top 4 for the big money but also decent difference from 5th to 8th

LPM- You never fail ( well apart from 95% of your posts) to disappoint. Do you work for the Daily Star?Your title? Did you start supporting Saints in November? If so , yes. Staying in division is as good as it gets.For us seasoned Saints dafties, it gets a whole lot better and it can also be a whole lot worse. AR at least stopped the rot that Craig and then Murray had set in.Next season is miles away. The BOD will not destroy anyones hopes, as that will also destroy ST sales potential.Personally I feel we have made enough progress to suggest we will challenge a top 4 spot next year.I am looking forward to having Utd and probably Hibs or Killie or Hamilton.We have played Raith, Falkirk and Hibs recently and nothing there scares me other than the fact we cant keep losing late goals. Seem to remember Gus had same issue.we need young Naismith back, Mallan will go , several will be put out to grass, and no doubt we will pick up some players. Lets see.Fact is the future is far rosier now than it was 6 months ago. Under Murray it would have been relegation

Next season is 3 games away for planning and budget allocation. This is what real businesses do, they plan allowing for slight amendments, taking into account projected sales & costs. This information is readily to hand for the board as it will differ little to last season except for postion/parachute payments which they already know.

You say the bod wont destroy hopes as it will effect ST sales, then you go on to assume no one else could make Naismith a good offer...! Schoolboy error.

If Watson, Mallan and Naismith get better offers, and considering we will finish perhaps eighth.... Where in your fantastical world do you see us being able to deal with Dundee Utd, Hibs, Falkirk, Raith and possibly one other Prem club when we could finish lower than Morton and Dumbarton???

You need to heed what Rae is flagging up, he is saying that already he wont be in a position to get the people he really wants. He cant even offer deals to existing players. And given how the bod handled the cut price departures of McLean and McGinn, with a possible takeover happening does anyone really believe they wont cash in on Mallan for a slightly less derogatory offer?

Dont forget before the deal was even done I flagged up that Murray simply didnt have it, and took endless abuse/ridicule for even suggesting the Bod had cocked up again. We did not prepare for certain relegation, we are not preparing for a more difficult league (more clubs will fancy they can win with Sevco gone) next season. The Bod are only interested in fleecing some sevconians at saints fans inconvience!

But if you see the bigger picture the Bod are planning for our title attempt next season please share and explain it, cause I wager the majority on here dont believe it exists!

Edited by Lord Pityme

Looks like Rae is getting his excuses in early, which is what managers do to try and save their skin. I would agree that he has managed to stop the rot Murray left us in, but theres been little improvement in terms of entertainment or league position. I feel we have been save the play offs more by others results than by our own efforts. Most of the players are duds and with any luck will be chased in the close season. Whether Rae has the ability to replace with superior quality has yet to be seen. I,for one, am not confident about this. Time will tell.

Looks like Rae is getting his excuses in early, which is what managers do to try and save their skin. I would agree that he has managed to stop the rot Murray left us in, but theres been little improvement in terms of entertainment or league position. I feel we have been save the play offs more by others results than by our own efforts. Most of the players are duds and with any luck will be chased in the close season. Whether Rae has the ability to replace with superior quality has yet to be seen. I,for one, am not confident about this. Time will tell.

What a lot of nonsense. We have avoided the play off due to our own results over 8 months, not because others have lost games. Your anti Rae agenda is pretty poor, with his Ibrox leanings I'd have thought he would have been your ideal choice.

Next season is 3 games away for planning and budget allocation. This is what real businesses do, they plan allowing for slight amendments, taking into account projected sales & costs. This information is readily to hand for the board as it will differ little to last season except for postion/parachute payments which they already know.

You say the bod wont destroy hopes as it will effect ST sales, then you go on to assume no one else could make Naismith a good offer...! Schoolboy error.

If Watson, Mallan and Naismith get better offers, and considering we will finish perhaps eighth.... Where in your fantastical world do you see us being able to deal with Dundee Utd, Hibs, Falkirk, Raith and possibly one other Prem club when we could finish lower than Morton and Dumbarton???

You need to heed what Rae is flagging up, he is saying that already he wont be in a position to get the people he really wants. He cant even offer deals to existing players. And given how the bod handled the cut price departures of McLean and McGinn, with a possible takeover happening does anyone really believe they wont cash in on Mallan for a slightly less derogatory offer?

Dont forget before the deal was even done I flagged up that Murray simply didnt have it, and took endless abuse/ridicule for even suggesting the Bod had cocked up again. We did not prepare for certain relegation, we are not preparing for a more difficult league (more clubs will fancy they can win with Sevco gone) next season. The Bod are only interested in fleecing some sevconians at saints fans inconvience!

But if you see the bigger picture the Bod are planning for our title attempt next season please share and explain it, cause I wager the majority on here dont believe it exists!

The board couldn't guarantee a budget with the manager until they were assured as to what division we would be playing in.

That position was only 100% clarified on Saturday.

Typically they prepare two budgets, scenario A and scenario B and will now be able to execute the plan for remaining in the Championship next season.

That said, there is still a reasonable difference between finishing 5th and 8th and it's not yet certain where we will land so still an element of doubt but would only affect one player at most I would think.

As for Watson, he is a free agent who has already got an offer from a Premiership side. He won't be with us next season.

Mallan is already the subject of offers from the Premiership, but it's a completely different situation as he's under contract. He'll only be allowed to go if an offer is made that is deemed to be in the best interests of the club I imagine.

All a bit of whataboutery over nothing really, but still, another chance to have a go at the board eh?!

The board couldn't guarantee a budget with the manager until they were assured as to what division we would be playing in.

Typically they prepare two budgets, scenario A and scenario B and will now be able to execute the plan for remaining in the Championship next season.

That said, there is still a reasonable difference between finishing 5th and 8th and it's not yet certain where we will land so still an element of doubt but would only affect one player at most I would think.

As for Watson, he is a free agent who has already got an offer from a Premiership side. He won't be with us next season.

Mallan is already the subject of offers from the Premiership, but it's a completely different situation as he's under contract. He'll only be allowed to go if an offer is made that is deemed to be in the best interests of the club I imagine.

All a bit of whataboutery over nothing really, but still, another chance to have a go at the board eh?!

Wow, who'd have though that?

Lookatme adopting the "If I say it often enough people might agree with me"........................

All coming from the manager's statement to the press, but hey I get why people want to ignore that, and the fact this board would turf kids out their seats for a few more quid.

The club needs to be taken over ASAP to stop the rot and downward spiral the board have actually created. Remember the fans renewed ST's in numbers not exoected for this season, they deserve a club run to compete in this division, but that is not what they or the team management say they are getting.

The issue most urgent is that the manager is again frustrated that he cannot plan to retain or indeed improve his squad. Rae & Farrell are back in the shop windiw now, it might not take more than a workable budget to persuade them they could crack on at another club!

Edited by Lord Pityme

All coming from the manager's statement to the press, but hey I get why people want to ignore that, and the fact this board would turf kids out their seats for a few more quid.

The club needs to be taken over ASAP to stop the rot and downward spiral the board have actually created. Remember the fans renewed ST's in numbers not exoected for this season, they deserve a club run to compete in this division, but that is not what they or the team management say they are getting.

The issue most urgent is that the manager is again frustrated that he cannot plan to retain or indeed improve his squad. Rae & Farrell are back in the shop windiw now, it might not take more than a workable budget to persuade them they could crack on at another club!

Any chance you could indicate exactly where you read Alex Rae's statements to the press about budget, not bringing in players and his frustrations? If what you state us factual then I would like to see exactly what he said and when this occurs? If he can not plan to retain or improve his squad then I am surprised he is still manager or that anyone would want the job.

As mentioned by many before, a budget can't be released until you know what division you will be in. This was only confirmed at the weekend. I think over the last 11 years we have only guaranteed safety from relegation once well advance to start planning for the next season.

All Rae can really do is have his targets in place assuming we would be playing in championship and ready to pounce once he was aware of next seasons budget. When you look at the winnings between finishing 5th and 6th there is quite a jump. Probably a player or twos wages difference. This could be something allocated at a later date if a 5th place finish was achieved.

Regardless of when Rae knows what his budget is, we need to be realistic as to the calibre of player he will be able to bring in.

He will be operating in a market saturated with mediocre players and the odd gem who we might be fortunate enough to bring in more by fortune than design.

I think a lot will be down to how he builds his team, as much as the quality of the component parts. There will be no signings to ooh and ahh over, folks. Lets hope Rae has a plan in place, as this is something Craig and Murray were clearly lacking (eta - unless Craig building a team around a soon to be injured 35 year old front man counts as a plan).

Edited by Drew

Any chance you could indicate exactly where you read Alex Rae's statements to the press about budget, not bringing in players and his frustrations? If what you state us factual then I would like to see exactly what he said and when this occurs? If he can not plan to retain or improve his squad then I am surprised he is still manager or that anyone would want the job.

Its actually posted on these boards Ned, but hey I Get why you and others wish to be in denial. That would mean admitting you and the board are wrong.

"We are kind of playing catch up in some respects because the teams that are up there have already resigned their players. Weve identified players we would have liked to have signed on pre-contracts only for it to turn out they have resigned."

Do people actually believe the board cant say to Rae you've got 'X£' for definite to spend, which could rise to 'Y£' depending on our finish spot. The funniest thing I havecread is that the board couldnt tell Rae anything until it was confirmed what keague we would be in...... Really are you guys serious?

The board thought we would be relegated, ending up. below Alloa ??? Funny they never said that, and for months its been fairley certain that wouldnt be the case, but aye yes give the biard another excuse why dont you. Thing is though... Rae doesn't buy their excuses, and he should know better than anyone on here!

Edited by Lord Pityme

As far as I am aware Alex Rae has stated he knows who he wants to bring in there was no mention in the article I read that says we wouldnh be able to get his targets.

You didnae read it then, because that is exactly what he said.

"We are kind of playing catch up in some respects because the teams that are up there have already resigned their players. Weve identified players we would have liked to have signed on pre-contracts only for it to turn out they have resigned."

Edited by Lord Pityme

You didnae read it then, because that is exactly what he said.

You missed out the bit where he says he won't get a budget until we know which league we will be playing in. Happy to help.

You missed out the bit where he says he won't get a budget until we know which league we will be playing in. Happy to help.

Yes thats what the board used as an excuse, but who on here hasnt known for weeks we would be playing championship football next season???

Rae went to the press, again to air his frustration that he couldnt do anything, and has lost out on targets. Yes he adds a diplomatic slant, but the message is clear the board have pissed him and his plans off. Otherwise he would say nothing, or only say the board line about being unable to let him even have an idea what budget he will have, when they know damn well whats available.

Yes thats what the board used as an excuse, but who on here hasnt known for weeks we would be playing championship football next season???

Rae went to the press, again to air his frustration that he couldnt do anything, and has lost out on targets. Yes he adds a diplomatic slant, but the message is clear the board have pissed him and his plans off. Otherwise he would say nothing, or only say the board line about being unable to let him even have an idea what budget he will have, when they know damn well whats available.

It wasn't an excuse it was a matter of fact.

Its been the same for the past few seasons.

Shit manager

Miss out on signing targets

Make shit signings

Lord Pityme & Froggie point this out

Forum happy clapping mob defend manager and BoD to the hilt

Forum happy clapping mob abuse anyone who disagrees with them

Shit start to the season

Forum happy clapping mob continue to defend and abuse

Season gets worse.

Forum happy clappers start to turn on manager and BoD

Lord Pityme & Froggie point out that they were right. Yet again.

Forum happy clapping mob abuse them.

I predict the same again.

Its been the same for the past few seasons.

Shit manager

Miss out on signing targets

Make shit signings

Lord Pityme & Froggie point this out

Forum happy clapping mob defend manager and BoD to the hilt

Forum happy clapping mob abuse anyone who disagrees with them

Shit start to the season

Forum happy clapping mob continue to defend and abuse

Season gets worse.

Forum happy clappers start to turn on manager and BoD

Lord Pityme & Froggie point out that they were right. Yet again.

Forum happy clapping mob abuse them.

I predict the same again.

I predict a riot..... Of apathy.