17 Faulty Schools And Many Carpet Bombed Roads

shull

Modern builds are generally shite. One of my lassies had to sit her exams (prelims) in a winter coat when the heating packed in. The school was about 3 years old at the time.

Maybe we should reinstate slavery so capitalists can finance the building of decent quality schools. I'll run it by StuD.

Edited by Drew

It'll be interesting to see how the story develops and to see the extent of the problem. I'd be interested to see who signed off on each of these projects and I'd be very interested to see how frequently the buildings have been inspected since.

One of our local joint campus primary schools was open for almost a year before someone discovered the PFI contractor hadn't built to design and the building was short by around 30 metres to one side. How no one spotted that earlier is anyone's guess but what followed was months of disruption for the kids. That must have been around 6 years ago now so you'd think inspections would have tightened up since then....until now

The whole system is corrupt IMO and always has been since PFI's (which were reformed into PPP's) were introduced by the tories in '92, then subsequently adopted as the only show in town by Labour.

The private companies involved tender their bids at the lowest possible level, in order to make the biggest profit. As you can see from recent events, with little or no consideration for pupil or teacher safety. That is inherently wrong. Making a mistake whilst building is almost acceptable, but to leave important parts of the building out to save money is reprehensible.

I know of several new builds where there are significant problems relating to many different aspects of the build, often in breach of H&s. However, the private companies blame the councils and vice versa. With neither party willing to take the blame, usually the row rumbles on and on, while the problems remain in place or the council shells out to try and sort the problem.

At least with the current system in place in Scotland the councils have some degree of control of the buildings and have their own janitors etc.

In some schools where part of the school has been rebuilt by PFI/PPP, that part of the building can't be touched by council janitors, with a private company providing a separate janitor for that part of the building. Utter madness.

Add to the fact that the cost of paying the private companies is astronomical .Of course, this also includes hospitals etc.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/jul/05/pfi-cost-300bn

Go round the corner to Blythswood....makes Andrew St look like a putting green.

I've noticed that they have shut of Cardell Road for the week to resurface it.

It is actually in pretty good condition compared to some of the roads I've driven on recently.

There is also a crater caused by a leaking water pipe on Chain Road, outside the nursing home. It's been like that for 5 weeks. There's a token traffic cone stuck in it, which often gets moved. God help anyone, who like me, accidentally drives into the crater, as it will do some damage to their car. Fortunately, it happened with my old car, which is now Arnold's problem.thumbup2.gif

Should have got Tesco to fund the school builds. At least they'd have got four wee boxy classrooms around a playing field. Might still have encountered problems ten years down the line mind you, when pupils were kicked out their classroom to accomodate pupils from Govan High School.

Motorways too, including the newest sections of the M77 and M74, most of the M77 between Newton Mearns and Fenwick is a mess of filled in potholes and decaying apshalt. The M74 at Polmadie has seen massive works to on ramps and central carriageways in recent months. How old are both these routes now ? I'm assuming the new M80 section beyond Stepps will see similar in the next few years ?

Motorways too, including the newest sections of the M77 and M74, most of the M77 between Newton Mearns and Fenwick is a mess of filled in potholes and decaying apshalt. The M74 at Polmadie has seen massive works to on ramps and central carriageways in recent months. How old are both these routes now ? I'm assuming the new M80 section beyond Stepps will see similar in the next few years ?

The new bit of the M74 is also horrendous when there's been even the slightest amount of rain. The water seems to take far longer to drain from that than older bits of road.

If it's not major bridges being closed, it's loads of schools.

What a mess this country's infrastructure has became since the SNP got a hold of the reigns. the Tories invited private companies into the public sector in the 80's and 90's.

FIFY.

Having grown up in this area , I can vouch that the roads in Renfrewshire have always been bad to the extent that at least one Renfrewshire poet wrote about it.

I lived in another part of Scotland for over 14yrs and the roads there were noticeably better , so it isn't so much a Scottish thing as a Renfrewshire one. .

Since the bad winters around 5-6 years ago , the roads got decidedly worse . Whilst Andrew St and Bytheswood are access roads , there are plenty of other main routes that are very bad too. Macdowall St, Johnstone is very poor , with new craters every week it seems , the kind of thing that the Kaisers Artillery would have been proud of and Auchenlodment Rd which has been neglected for years and has the foundations exposed (that look late Roman in origin) and several patches over patches. .

It doesn't matter whom you complain to , they have there stoic determinism to do sweet f**k all( even when an inspector has deemed that the road should be resurfaced) . It is the one thing that the SNP seem to have never done anything about , and whilst Renfrewshire is still a Labour led Council , I think the shocking state of the roads shows total ineptness in all the political parties . It is just unacceptable and personally , I'd now be reluctant to vote for any of the fockers. .

Guest TPAFKATS

If it's not major bridges being closed, it's loads of schools.

What a mess this country's infrastructure has became since the SNP got a hold of the reigns.

Poor effort, must do better 2/10