Smirren Playing Staff And Social Media - A Ban Looming ?

I am as sure as I can be that had these players been tweeting about their support for any other team such as Livingston or Alloa making a national cup final there wouldn't have been a peep on here.

This sounds like jealousy TBH and quite frankly it's a bit cringeworthy.

As for playing them in a fortnight, I'd expect any player who is a fan of them to be doubly determined to play well against them to get noticed.

I remember many years ago Motorola tried to pressure employees not to use phones by other suppliers.

This is in a similar vein to attempts to ban players from declaring support for other teams.

That tactic didn't work then and it won't work now.

Whether it would be different if it were Alloa or Livingston is irrelevant, as it wasn't them. There is a dislike of both sides of the Old Firm in the rest of Scottish football in general due to what they stand for, their history of religious bigotry and the sectarianism that is still attached to the clubs and the fixture, as well as the media attention this scumfest gets. Fans are not keen to see our players belittle the club's own derby match and turn attention to this other spectacle as if our game were an inconvenience. That they then tweet references to the bigotry that symbolizes these other clubs, is also distasteful to many of us.

It's completely different to a phone company.

Seems a bit over the top to me. Can kinda see the problem with Carswell's tweet as he's calling the Old Firm game 'The Big One' just hours after playing in a proper derby, a bit disrespectful. Agnew's tweet is only making a comment on a game of football, he doesn't even say anything to suggest he is a Rangers fan.

I am as sure as I can be that had these players been tweeting about their support for any other team such as Livingston or Alloa making a national cup final there wouldn't have been a peep on here.

This sounds like jealousy TBH and quite frankly it's a bit cringeworthy.

As for playing them in a fortnight, I'd expect any player who is a fan of them to be doubly determined to play well against them to get noticed.

I remember many years ago Motorola tried to pressure employees not to use phones by other suppliers.

This is in a similar vein to attempts to ban players from declaring support for other teams.

That tactic didn't work then and it won't work now.

Your hilarious as always, its not Alloa, is it?? Only a true Cretan would miss the point here.

What most of us humans haven't missed over the past 4 years, is the crap that comes with Rangers/Celtic, the totally disregard for anyone but themselves and the vile historical crap that spouts from the Neanderthals that support them.

To have 2 of our players, publically announce support of any kind, just shows they also are idiots and very stupid. It also is disrespectful. Again if you cant see that then you may as well go get a season ticket with them.

As they said in the good old days, you cant shoot people for what they think so basically, keep it to yourselves and shut up

Hmm, slightly off topic now but I am told that years ago when Ra Sellic won the league at our place, McGarvey was observed being more than a little pleased at full time. He was on a St Mirren side that had just been pumped 5-0, great eh ?! Imagine him on FB or Twitter after , ffs. So in a way social media is new, but the fan boy ( bhoy ) attitude remains and can upset many and be deemed as say treacherous, unprofessional , or the player just being a thick cnunt. Ferguson did something similar, albeit he didn't celebrate when scoring for us against the ****, his well known transfer was to follow soon after.

It's Scottish football I suppose, add a few less than sharp minded individuals, a conduit for instant broadcast and within seconds you have a digital footprint that can haunt all their days if not careful.

The issue is, accept it and roll over, know your place as a diddy player with a diddy team, in a diddy league set up, or act on it. By choosing the latter route, what do you do , suspend a player who says he supports another team ?? 1eye.gif

Fwiw any abuse that comes any players way as a result of this is due them.......................just for being an arsehole

Hmm, slightly off topic now but I am told that years ago when Ra Sellic won the league at our place, McGarvey was observed being more than a little pleased at full time. He was on a St Mirren side that had just been pumped 5-0, great eh ?! Imagine him on FB or Twitter after , ffs. So in a way social media is new, but the fan boy ( bhoy ) attitude remains and can upset many and be deemed as say treacherous, unprofessional , or the player just being a thick cnunt. Ferguson did something similar, albeit he didn't celebrate when scoring for us against the ****, his well known transfer was to follow soon after.

It's Scottish football I suppose, add a few less than sharp minded individuals, a conduit for instant broadcast and within seconds you have a digital footprint that can haunt all their days if not careful.

The issue is, accept it and roll over, know your place as a diddy player with a diddy team, in a diddy league set up, or act on it. By choosing the latter route, what do you do , suspend a player who says he supports another team ?? 1eye.gif

Fwiw any abuse that comes any players way as a result of this is due them.......................just for being an arsehole

That's a total myth made up by Hearts fans.... he sprinted off the pitch with the other Saints

players that day as the Celtic fans invaded the park..

All those who think this is different because it's Rangers or Celtic instead of Alloa or Livingston and that the difference is the bigotry element need to show where these players have expressed bigotted views.

To suggest all OF fans are subhuman scum is pretty childish.

All those who think this is different because it's Rangers or Celtic instead of Alloa or Livingston and that the difference is the bigotry element need to show where these players have expressed bigotted views.

Aye, our fans use the terms above, and more, yet think they are Saints. whistling.gif

Got to laugh. lol.gif

Agnew's tweet is only making a comment on a game of football, he doesn't even say anything to suggest he is a Rangers fan.

"The tweets from both players were also accompanied by a small picture of a Union Jack flag, with angry responses from St Mirren fans leading to the pair eventually deleting both posts."

These two should already be out the door for complete lack of footballing ability. Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin.

We seem to have a continuous problem with halfwit players misbehaving during each bigotfest.

As stated above, I wouldn't ban them from social media but make sure they are educated on the values of St Mirren FC before putting pen to paper and act accordingly. And the same applies to Rae and Farrell.

And who told you that???? Utter crap

Does not bother me who a player or back room staff support as long as they do their best for Saints which I'm sure they do. If we were to reach another cup final our management and players would be in cloud 9 even if it was against Rangers make no mistake. Some need to stop this small club mentality , its ok if you support Motherwell but don't dare support the old firm.

Well I am not Hitler so no not all, I was referring to the thousands that sing sectarian songs, making football about religion. That's why at 13 I started supporting Saints and that was nearly 40 years ago. However a lot are subhuman scum yes, not my words, but they fit rather well.

If you think that is defensible to behave the way the have, killing our game, oh and now apparently they are our saviours.

Some Irish, use Scotland as their battleground..... I am not joining in

"The tweets from both players were also accompanied by a small picture of a Union Jack flag, with angry responses from St Mirren fans leading to the pair eventually deleting both posts."

These two should already be out the door for complete lack of footballing ability. Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin.

We seem to have a continuous problem with halfwit players misbehaving during each bigotfest.

As stated above, I wouldn't ban them from social media but make sure they are educated on the values of St Mirren FC before putting pen to paper and act accordingly. And the same applies to Rae and Farrell.

So a british footballer posting a british flag and making an accurate comment on a game of football is now misbehaving and worthy of them being kicked out of the club? Be serious.

So a british footballer posting a british flag and making an accurate comment on a game of football is now misbehaving and worthy of them being kicked out of the club? Be serious.

Nothing to do with being British. If they were really proud to be British they wouldn't behave like bigoted arseholes and target their hate onto other British people and behave like moronic pricks while in Britain.

The Union Flag waving morons are a disgrace to the decent British people.

And Oaky thinks we are jealous.

Edited by shull

And there isn't a Britain FC for them to wave their flags at.

So dinnae talk shite.

And who told you that???? Utter crap

Told me about what bit , exactly ??

We'd end up with no players...................

Oh my GAAAWWWWWWDDDDD.

A Union Jack?

MURDER !!!!

POLIS !!!!

Have you not got any real problems in your life to be worrying about?

Well I am not Hitler so no not all, I was referring to the thousands that sing sectarian songs, making football about religion. That's why at 13 I started supporting Saints and that was nearly 40 years ago. However a lot are subhuman scum yes, not my words, but they fit rather well.

If you think that is defensible to behave the way the have, killing our game, oh and now apparently they are our saviours.

Some Irish, use Scotland as their battleground..... I am not joining in

That is not the point and stop trying to deflect.

The only reasons to slate our players for supporting another team is if they lie down to them or make bigoted comments.

Show me some evidence of either.

Nothing to do with being British. If they were really proud to be British they wouldn't behave like bigoted arseholes and target their hate onto other British people and behave like moronic pricks while in Britain.

The Union Flag waving morons are a disgrace to the decent British people.

And Oaky thinks we are jealous.

Show me the bigoted behaviour from our players and I will stop posting for a month.

Your capacity for missing the point is enormous. (I'm aware that you're trolling as usual, but Ill play along as I'm bored)

There is a huge difference between kind words and making posts belittling the game you've just played in, with union jacks adorning your tweet and bragging about your side of the religious divide's victory in the national scumfest.

There is no policy to sign "ex Old Firm players". Of the 19 players we've signed this season for instance - permanently or on loan - this season, 2 players have actually played for either side of the old firm (Webster & Gallagher) while another 6 have been youth team players who never played a competitive game.

There are a number of ex old firm players, mainly because they hoover up the best of the youths at an early age, before dumping them when it becomes apparent they aren't ready made to be superstars in their team.

If a professional footballer is too stupid to know not to tweet support for a club we play in less than a fortnight, I've no sympathy whatsoever.

We know professional football players are stupid - that's a given. What is sad is that forum users who would like to think of themselves as being intelligent are accusing others of being intolerant and bigoted, whilst being intolerant and bigoted towards the players who have made the tweets.

Seriously, what is wrong with posting a picture of a Union Flag - the flag of OUR COUNTRY! There should be nothing inflammatory about it at all and I reckon you'd need to be incredibly small minded and intolerant to think otherwise.

I certainly don't think the issue is players having Twitter accounts. The issue is certain players posting silly things.

I can see a point to both sides of the argument but I don't think it's very wise to be tweeting about another club when u don't play for them, regardless if it's old firm or not.

As already mentioned in any job, if we're tweeting in support of a rival company I don't think your current employer would be too impressed.

Whether it would be different if it were Alloa or Livingston is irrelevant, as it wasn't them. There is a dislike of both sides of the Old Firm in the rest of Scottish football in general due to what they stand for, their history of religious bigotry and the sectarianism that is still attached to the clubs and the fixture, as well as the media attention this scumfest gets. Fans are not keen to see our players belittle the club's own derby match and turn attention to this other spectacle as if our game were an inconvenience. That they then tweet references to the bigotry that symbolizes these other clubs, is also distasteful to many of us.

It's completely different to a phone company.

Like it or not Rangers and Celtic are the two most popular and well supported clubs in Scottish Football, if you are going to ban Rangers and Celtic supporters from playing for St Mirren you are self harming at a level that should see you sectioned. Honestly, people used to laugh when Rangers refused to sign Catholics, but this latest farce goes beyond absurd.