Smirren Playing Staff And Social Media - A Ban Looming ?

It's clearly the flag of our country HSS. That's absolute fact and it has a place in every football ground in this country.

Some people, including you, need to have a bit of a look at yourself if the flag of your own country winds you up so much. :rolleyes:

Good deflection.....

Goodnight.

I love the way you ask a leading question to set up your diatribe... Yet choose to ignore the key element of my post.... Abuse / misuse.

Nil By Mouth said the singing of the song we both disapproved of was not sectarian in itself, but it depended on the intent behind it.

Are you now condoning that song? Bigot!

tongue.png

Nope. I'm being utterly consistent. I think Nil By Mouth were completely wrong. Any song containing the lyric "f**k The Pope" or "f**k The Queen" is clearly bigoted and sectarian.

Whether you like it or not Stuart, in a Scottish footballing context the Union flag has different connotations than it has flying from a public building, as you well know.

As a Scotsman who doesn't consider himself British in the slightest and would love to see Scotland independent the Union flag does annoy me. It has so much baggage surrounding it that it's no longer just a flag but represents so many different things. If you can't deal with that then that's your problem.

As usual you have totally missed the point. Saints fans aren't pissed off that our players support other teams, they're pissed off at the disrespect the thoughtless actions of some individuals on social media has caused. Simple education of our players and I'm sure they would understand.

That's not true at all. Some St Mirren supporters are pissed off that Carswell posted that the Sunday game was the "big fixture". I can see where they were coming from. The St Mirren v Morton match was utterly meaningless, but every football fan must surely have recognised that the Norwich City v Sunderland match was the real BIG MATCH of the weekend. That match literally was worth £hundreds of millions to both clubs.

Others just seem to have a general hatred of Rangers, of the Union Flag (yourself included obviously) and a general discontent that someone being paid to work for St Mirren may have footballing loyalties elsewhere.

I don't think this thread has done anyone at St Mirren any credit at all and it's had the effect of exposing many of the St Mirren support as intolerant bigots. I wouldn't have thought that was an image anyone at the club would want a community club to portray.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Nope. I'm being utterly consistent. I think Nil By Mouth were completely wrong. Any song containing the lyric "f**k The Pope" or "f**k The Queen" is clearly bigoted and sectarian.

Context Stuart. Context.

Anyone reading your nonsense here might think you a twat... but taken in context... Ach ffs... Self-defeating argument!

I see Hibs have an issue as well;

From The Scotsman

Hibs coach Alan Stubbs will warn his players to think twice before pressing ‘send’ after James Keatings was involved in a debate with fans for tweeting his support for Celtic prior to Sunday’s Old Firm clash.

Keatings’ team, or at least the team he plays for, had already secured their place in the Scottish Cup final with victory over Dundee United when the striker, who was suspended for the semi, told Twitter followers he would be “up early” for the “big game” the next day. He later tweeted: “C’mon the Hoops”.

I'd hesitate to say that players aren't very bright, I think they just view the game very differently from fans. That's where the problems arise, a lot of players don't understand the fans and vice versa, and that's why they should be very careful about what they put on social media.

Context Stuart. Context.

Anyone reading your nonsense here might think you a twat... but taken in context... Ach ffs... Self-defeating argument!

Aye. I'm sure most St Mirren fans think I'm a twat. What I also hope is that one day some of them will realise I am right......as I was with that song.

St Mirren fans really do need to sort out what they get outraged at. Hating bigotry is good but there is a need to understand what bigotry is. Supporting Rangers or Celtic does not make you a bigot. Carrying a Union Flag or a Tricolour or a Saltire for that matter doesn't make you bigoted or sectarian. However singing a song that contains the lyric "f**k the Pope" or "f**k the Queen" or even a song that contains both clearly does make you a bigot. Being intolerant of anyones religious belief is by definition an act of bigotry. Context is utterly irrelevant that's where Nil By Mouth got it completely wrong IMO.

On topic....anyone who was outraged by Carswell or Agnew comments on Twitter needs to have a wee sit down and a think. Would they be as outraged if the "Big One" had been a reference to the Leicester v West Ham match? If not why not? What is so special about their hate of "Rangers" and Celtic that makes them a special case? And if they do really "hate Rangers" why we're they conspicuously quiet in 2012 when Gilmour, McAusland and Campbell were trying to convince St Mirren fans that "Rangers" should be treated as a special case in the Scottish game.

I see Hibs have an issue as well;

From The Scotsman

Hibs coach Alan Stubbs will warn his players to think twice before pressing ‘send’ after James Keatings was involved in a debate with fans for tweeting his support for Celtic prior to Sunday’s Old Firm clash.

Keatings’ team, or at least the team he plays for, had already secured their place in the Scottish Cup final with victory over Dundee United when the striker, who was suspended for the semi, told Twitter followers he would be “up early” for the “big game” the next day. He later tweeted: “C’mon the Hoops”.

I'd hesitate to say that players aren't very bright, I think they just view the game very differently from fans. That's where the problems arise, a lot of players don't understand the fans and vice versa, and that's why they should be very careful about what they put on social media.

It's the fans who are the problem. Keats is an ex Celtic player with several mates still involved at Celtic FC. Fans need to look at their own behaviour

Aye. I'm sure most St Mirren fans think I'm a twat.

Sorry to break it you Stuart but 99% of St Mirren fans don't have a clue who you are.

Quite an ego you have.

The remaining 1% do think you are a twat though, thats true.

So lets look at the evidence.

1. You've been to Ibrox numerous times.

2. You know the "Rangers songbook".

3. You know more "Rangers" fans than you care to remember.

Yet I'm the one with "Rangers" sympathies?!?!?!? rolleyes.gif

Just remember this. I voted against giving "Rangers" an easy ride back to the SPL in 2012. Drew did too. If you want to point your fingers at "Rangers" sympathisers I suggest you turn your ire on the likes of Stewart Gilmour, Bryan McAusland, George Campbell and the 11 other people in the room that day screaming "Armageddon" who were happy to see "Rangers" back in the top flight so long as the ticket lady kept her job. Turn your ire on the St Mirren fans sat in the stands at Greenhill Road who listened to Gilmour tell them how important "Rangers" being in the top flight was to St Mirren, and turn your ire against those who said nothing - not one note of discontent.

Now back to the topic under discussion - in the UK (the country I live in) we believe in innocent until proven guilty. Even those nasty Natsi's haven't managed to change that yet in Scotland - although they have tried a version of everyone is innocent even if they did plant a bomb on a plane that exploded above Lockerbie killing 270 people. Yet here you post wanting St Mirren employees hounded out of the club because they happened to post on Social Media that they wanted their childhood favourites to do well on Sunday. What a knuckle scraping eejit you are.

And finally the significance of the Union Flag to the Rangers support is that it is the flag of the beautiful united country we live in, it's also in their club colours, and they know that showing it at football matches somehow gets a rise from daft fannies like you. There's nothing bigoted in the flag whatsoever.

You really need to get your doctor to give you stronger drugs. That way you might sleep longer. Thought Mr Dick Troll might managed to have got his SNP Baaaad comment in sooner.

You see just by the natural pish that spouts out of you, you make the point of what is wrong with in this case The Rangers, its not about football, its about viewpoint, flying the flag , cause it annoys people, oh and happens to be the same colour as their poxy strip. Being Loyalist is a basically being a legal terrorist, and whilst the Green Puke still harp on about Bobby Sands and cowards in black masks, you think this is a beautiful country. Yeah its a great one, ran by Eton tossers, headed by German offshoots and founded on slavery and bigotry . The flag represents the English. 4th verse God save the Queen Dicko, if you know your history that is................ that's what it represents in your Jerusalem .

So lets look at the evidence.

1. You've been to Ibrox numerous times.

2. You know the "Rangers songbook".

3. You know more "Rangers" fans than you care to remember.

Yet I'm the one with "Rangers" sympathies?!?!?!? rolleyes.gif

Just remember this. I voted against giving "Rangers" an easy ride back to the SPL in 2012. Drew did too. If you want to point your fingers at "Rangers" sympathisers I suggest you turn your ire on the likes of Stewart Gilmour, Bryan McAusland, George Campbell and the 11 other people in the room that day screaming "Armageddon" who were happy to see "Rangers" back in the top flight so long as the ticket lady kept her job. Turn your ire on the St Mirren fans sat in the stands at Greenhill Road who listened to Gilmour tell them how important "Rangers" being in the top flight was to St Mirren, and turn your ire against those who said nothing - not one note of discontent.

Now back to the topic under discussion - in the UK (the country I live in) we believe in innocent until proven guilty. Even those nasty Natsi's haven't managed to change that yet in Scotland - although they have tried a version of everyone is innocent even if they did plant a bomb on a plane that exploded above Lockerbie killing 270 people. Yet here you post wanting St Mirren employees hounded out of the club because they happened to post on Social Media that they wanted their childhood favourites to do well on Sunday. What a knuckle scraping eejit you are.

And finally the significance of the Union Flag to the Rangers support is that it is the flag of the beautiful united country we live in, it's also in their club colours, and they know that showing it at football matches somehow gets a rise from daft fannies like you. There's nothing bigoted in the flag whatsoever.

Definitely struck a number of nerves there...

thumbup2.gif

You really need to get your doctor to give you stronger drugs. That way you might sleep longer. Thought Mr Dick Troll might managed to have got his SNP Baaaad comment in sooner.

You see just by the natural pish that spouts out of you, you make the point of what is wrong with in this case The Rangers, its not about football, its about viewpoint, flying the flag , cause it annoys people, oh and happens to be the same colour as their poxy strip. Being Loyalist is a basically being a legal terrorist, and whilst the Green Puke still harp on about Bobby Sands and cowards in black masks, you think this is a beautiful country. Yeah its a great one, ran by Eton tossers, headed by German offshoots and founded on slavery and bigotry . The flag represents the English. 4th verse God save the Queen Dicko, if you know your history that is................ that's what it represents in your Jerusalem .

Dear oh dear. Where to begin?

Well this is a football website so I'll try to keep it football related, despite the temptation to give you a full blown history lesson, and simply point out that "The Rangers" are a club founded in 2012. To blame them for an add on verse sung by troops fighting the Jacobites in 1745 that was never part of the official National Anthem is just perverse.

The Union Flag is our National Flag. 55% of Scots voted in 2014 to remain in the Union and that flag represents all of the constituent parts of the United Kingdom. It's certainly not, and never has been an "English" flag. As for Rangers fans carrying the Union Flag "representing a viewpoint" and doing it to annoy people - well the same could be said of Phil the DJ playing Zombie Nation or Gypsy's Tramps and Thieves, or for Paisley Panda handing Kevin McAllistair a P45, or sticking a Magic Tree down in front of the Morton support. The fact it's got so under your skin simply proves the point - however to further prove you wrong, a Panelbase poll taken in May 2014 asking the question of football fans whether they intended to vote yes or no in the independence referendum found that 45% or Rangers fans would vote yes, 41% no and 14% didn't know.

Now do me a favour - go and look up the definition of "Loyalist" before making an even bigger c**t of yourself.

Guest TPAFKATS

Sorry to break it you Stuart but 99% of St Mirren fans don't have a clue who you are.

Quite an ego you have.

The remaining 1% do think you are a twat though, thats true.

Just those that know him then ;-)

Guest TPAFKATS

You really aren't very good at history if you don't understand the association of the butchers apron with the atrocities including bigoted and sectarian acts committed in the name of the British Empire and State.

Yes, it's a State not a nation ;-)

Whether you like it or not Stuart, in a Scottish footballing context the Union flag has different connotations than it has flying from a public building, as you well know.

As a Scotsman who doesn't consider himself British in the slightest and would love to see Scotland independent the Union flag does annoy me. It has so much baggage surrounding it that it's no longer just a flag but represents so many different things. If you can't deal with that then that's your problem.

As usual you have totally missed the point. Saints fans aren't pissed off that our players support other teams, they're pissed off at the disrespect the thoughtless actions of some individuals on social media has caused. Simple education of our players and I'm sure they would understand.

The Saltire is incorporated in the union flag

You really aren't very good at history if you don't understand the association of the butchers apron with the atrocities including bigoted and sectarian acts committed in the name of the British Empire and State.

You really aren't very clever if you don't know that it wasn't the flag that committed these acts. It was the people.....including Scots.....who profiteered massively from its position within the Union. The Union Flag is OUR flag. To get upset and angry by it is just f**king bizarre and to accuse a flag of wrongdoing is quite simply madness.

You really aren't very clever if you don't know that it wasn't the flag that committed these acts. It was the people.....including Scots.....who profiteered massively from its position within the Union. The Union Flag is OUR flag. To get upset and angry by it is just f**king bizarre and to accuse a flag of wrongdoing is quite simply madness.

You really aren't very clever if you don't understand the meaning of association in the context it's used. Mind you, that's probably 13 words more than I needed...

Come on Tony FFS this is a puerile argument.

It isn't 1900 any more.

The Union Flag is not a sectarian symbol.

It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

TBH I am still hopeful that someone, ANYONE can produce a photo or a tweet where any of our players has engaged in sectarianism.

So far we have tweets supporting another team and apparently the British flag.

You'd look pretty f**king stupid producing that in a court as evidence of sectarianism.

This forum is going to shit, its the same folk constantly arguing, speaking about f**king independence and politics and contributing the square root of Stuart Carswells common sense to any actual football matters.

Start a new Thread about whatever footballing subject you desire.

Awaiting yir wisdom.

Ah, Salmonbuddie has a new alias. Hooray!