Buy The Buds

buddiecat

I drove to Dumbarton yesterday but met up with 5 diehards who had taken a supporters' bus. All were aware of the bid but no-one had signed up yet. They said they needed more information. I did not see anyone at Dumbarton hand out leaflets or interact with other fans. I am sure there were but maybe not a big enough presence? Some more hard selling required I think.

Agreed. Couldn't they mail drop to the 2k or so season ticket supporters?

I've signed up, but someone like my Dad (not tech savvy!) who doesn't go on to forums, etc, doesn't know too much about it.

there was a banner and somebody with leaflets

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-24 at 10.47.26.png

I do not doubt it Allan.

I arrived just before the Supporters' buses and went into the stadium. My mates went for a wee refreshment and arrived just at kick-off. I met them at half-time and we had a wee chat. Most of these guys do not use computers and if they do they do not use social media much. I am not having a go at anyone just pointing out that many older fans, who are perhaps the majority these days, do not get their info on-line. I was expecting people to maybe be down the front at half-time and handing out leaflets or handing them out along the rows. Maybe the authorities would not allow this - I do not know.

I just mean if the target of 1000 is to be reached then non-IT people still need to be better informed.

For what it is worth I have now signed up.

I do not doubt it Allan.

I arrived just before the Supporters' buses and went into the stadium. My mates went for a wee refreshment and arrived just at kick-off. I met them at half-time and we had a wee chat. Most of these guys do not use computers and if they do they do not use social media much. I am not having a go at anyone just pointing out that many older fans, who are perhaps the majority these days, do not get their info on-line. I was expecting people to maybe be down the front at half-time and handing out leaflets or handing them out along the rows. Maybe the authorities would not allow this - I do not know.

I just mean if the target of 1000 is to be reached then non-IT people still need to be better informed.

For what it is worth I have now signed up.

I came on the Tile bar bus yesterday and started handing out leaflets straight away, all 4 buses were given leaflets to hand out and all said they had done so.

I agree on your point that we need to up our game to reach people who don't go online, this i am assured is in hand and a spread including standing order form will be in the PDE soon.

Edited by buddiecat

I came on the Tile bar bus yesterday and started handing out leaflets straight away, all 4 buses were given leaflets to hand out and all said they had done so.

I agree on your point that we need to up our game reach people who don't go online, this i am assured is in hand and a spread including standing order form will be in the PDE soon.

As I said I am not having a go Buddiecat. I had just returned from holiday and had not read any details myself yet so was in no position to argue a case except in general terms of I did not want the current stagnation to continue. This morning I have read the SMISA information and signed up so am now in a better position to answer questions. I know it is a time-consuming and expensive job to fire off mail-shots etc but I assume the 1000 is critical and with only 1 game left (and hardly any Buds going to it) then the undecided need to be informed sooner than later before everyone drifts away until next season.

As I said I am not having a go Buddiecat. I had just returned from holiday and had not read any details myself yet so was in no position to argue a case except in general terms of I did not want the current stagnation to continue. This morning I have read the SMISA information and signed up so am now in a better position to answer questions. I know it is a time-consuming and expensive job to fire off mail-shots etc but I assume the 1000 is critical and with only 1 game left (and hardly any Buds going to it) then the undecided need to be informed sooner than later before everyone drifts away until next season.

Absolutely Sonny, i know your not having a go, your points are valid. there will be SMiSA guys at the "Saint for a day" game today. It is a club ran event and they have allowed us to be there to speak to folk.

There were 600 or so individuals there yesterday.

I saw some people handing out leaflets in addition to the banner.

If this bid is capturing the interest of the fans, then you'd expect quite a few to sign up over the next few days.

On another note: I think it would be prudent for the bid if a certain poster wound their neck in, as I know for a fact that several people are stalling supporting the bid because of his antics on here.

There were 600 or so individuals there yesterday.

I saw some people handing out leaflets in addition to the banner.

If this bid is capturing the interest of the fans, then you'd expect quite a few to sign up over the next few days.

On another note: I think it would be prudent for the bid if a certain poster wound their neck in, as I know for a fact that several people are stalling supporting the bid because of his antics on here.

Agreed - wind your neck in please, your not helping. Do as FTOF suggests, leave personal agendas out of this. A couple of folk having a ding dong is doing the bid harm, other people will read and be influenced by what they read.

Type the crap out of each other once we get this over the line by all means, just gonnae no dae it noo.

If people are posting because they may want the bid to fail then you are helping them by responding in a confrontational way, they have every right to voice their opinion, just don't bite in case that opinion is meant to go towards derailing the bid.

Edited by buddiecat

Was at yesterdays game seen the banners but nothing more. Would have been a good idea to have 4 SMISA members standing in each gate taking to every supporter going into the ground follow that up with a leaflet. Yes it's easy for me just to say that but it's the kind of push needed.

Was at yesterdays game seen the banners but nothing more. Would have been a good idea to have 4 SMISA members standing in each gate taking to every supporter going into the ground follow that up with a leaflet. Yes it's easy for me just to say that but it's the kind of push needed.

Fair points, we also need current SMiSA members (not just the active board members of SMiSA) to be championing our bid and offering their assistance, currently there is in the region of 400 people signed up but only around 5% of those have been handing out leaflets.

We are all in this together Buds lets all do what we can, email [email protected] to offer your help. Financial, fund raising and promotional experience is mainly what we need at this time.

397 now. I thought 500 after a fortnight would be decent progress, and we are on track for that.

ETA: was anyone able to confirm how long it took 10000Hours to reach the 1000 mark? I don't ask with a view to holding one up against the other, simply to get a sense of how quickly things progressed

Edited by Drew

397 now. I thought 500 after a fortnight would be decent progress, and we are on track for that.

ETA: was anyone able to confirm how long it took 10000Hours to reach the 1000 mark? I don't ask with a view to holding one up against the other, simply to get a sense of how quickly things progressed

Not really compatible as we were in a paperwork system which when converted to electronic zoomed up to 850+ in a couple of days but then took a while longer to get to 1000+ final total

I think a judgement on it really depends on how many of the existing 200+ Smisa members have already converted...if all of them then only 200 more folk added if as I suspect many many will not yet have done then 400 is good progress

Haven't read the full thread so may have missed it, but is there a leave-a-legacy option in the bid funding process? And if not, why not?

Good point , I can't seem to find anything on that either but there may well be .... I've messaged George Adam to ask the ? So i will post if he replies

Good point , I can't seem to find anything on that either but there may well be .... I've messaged George Adam to ask the ? So i will post if he replies

Thanks for that - I'm in the middle of researching an essay on the topic for my fundraising module at Uni and it just struck me that I hadn't seen anything.

Not really compatible as we were in a paperwork system which when converted to electronic zoomed up to 850+ in a couple of days but then took a while longer to get to 1000+ final total

I think a judgement on it really depends on how many of the existing 200+ Smisa members have already converted...if all of them then only 200 more folk added if as I suspect many many will not yet have done then 400 is good progress

Thanks.

I was thinking of some context, not looking to compare the initiatives as like for like.

Given that Smisa havent even held the main public meeting yet getting over 400 sign ups in a week is great going. Perhaps the meeting will give those not normally online, and uncertain/swithering the opportunity to have their say, and air any concerns.

It certainly should provide opportunity... Did you or did you not refuse to dip into your wallet to help St Mirren's cash flow when other directors did... Were you in America this week while you had mugs hand out leaflets for you.... You've hud' four goes at this now, whit's in it for you... Show us yer' money... Show us the deeds... You urnae' even a Smurrrnnn fan... (Mate whispers in ear 'Aye, he is a Smurrrrnnn fan).... Aye OK, granted, you're a Smurrrrnnn fan, now, where's yer' money.

Bring it on. Get the bar open CK, get the Budweiser chilled and the cheese 'n' onion crisps piled high.

The 10000Hours website is still online albeit not reachable via the original domain name which has since expired.

I had a look through that this morning.

On 1st June 2012 10000Hours advised that all previous paper direct debit mandates had to be resubmitted electronically.

On 21st June 2012 the news article that was published said there were "close to 1,000 members signed up"

In the end there was 1045 individuals signed up as individuals plus additional members comprising overseas who could not join via GoCardless. I think the final number was around 1200 and then there were members in the two other tiers the 87 club and the 1877 club.

As Richard has said it didn't take too long for the direct debits to come in with 10000Hours but these were from a starting position of several hundred direct debits that had been collected over a period of more than a year.

Given that Smisa havent even held the main public meeting yet getting over 400 sign ups in a week is great going. Perhaps the meeting will give those not normally online, and uncertain/swithering the opportunity to have their say, and air any concerns.

I think 3 or 4 people with laptops in the room offering the ability for people to sign up there and then is a good idea too. We did that at 10000Hours public meetings and had a good few join on the night.

For a club like ours, 404 in just over a week is excellent.

I think 3 or 4 people with laptops in the room offering the ability for people to sign up there and then is a good idea too. We did that at 10000Hours public meetings and had a good few join on the night.

Dealing with offline folk has always been an issue at 10000hours and following on from that at FoH and RangersFirst, there is no really great solution when you are working with volunteers doing all the admin.

The big thing that all the other FO schemes have suffered from is drop off, not because folk fall out with the idea but because of the expiry of CC information, this needs to have a focused admin solution from day 1

Dealing with offline folk has always been an issue at 10000hours and following on from that at FoH and RangersFirst, there is no really great solution when you are working with volunteers doing all the admin.

The big thing that all the other FO schemes have suffered from is drop off, not because folk fall out with the idea but because of the expiry of CC information, this needs to have a focused admin solution from day 1

Shouldn't ever use recurring payments on credit cards IMO.

Bank accounts don't expire and people seldom change them, albeit it's probably more common now than it was.

I do agree though that admin would need to be very strong as you're going to have direct debits returned every month either because of insufficient funds or one of any other number of issues.