Buy The Buds

buddiecat

My mistake but I don't understand why Gordon won't be there?

Believe Gordon is now out of the country. Left on Thursday.

The sign ups are required by SMiSA to fund their portion of the buyout. I don't think it would sit right for Gordon to be charging around asking people to put their hand in their pocket to pay him back, that has to be a SMiSA led message IMO.

The sign ups are required by SMiSA to fund their portion of the buyout. I don't think it would sit right for Gordon to be charging around asking people to put their hand in their pocket to pay him back, that has to be a SMiSA led message IMO.

Surely if he wants to be the majority shareholder and chairman of the club it would be in his interests to get folk on board with the project, otherwise it won't happen.

Out of interest, does anyone know who is behind these other potential buy out and is Gordon Scott involved with those bids in anyway ?

Whilst I can see the point in that, Ann Budge and Les Hutchison were very much the public face of there respective bids, especially Ann Budge, constantly sending out George Adams has a bit of Organ Grinder/monkey feel about it. No disrespect meant to George Adams but I'm not too fussed about what he has to say, I want to hear from Gordon and about his plans for the short, medium and long term and how he would see a transition working.

Whilst I can see the point in that, Ann Budge and Les Hutchison were very much the public face of there respective bids, especially Ann Budge, constantly sending out George Adams has a bit of Organ Grinder/monkey feel about it. No disrespect meant to George Adams but I'm not too fussed about what he has to say, I want to hear from Gordon and about his plans for the short, medium and long term and how he would see a transition working.

Public meeting 19th May at the ground Gordon will be there and it will be streamed live on the web. Gordon attended and spoke at the first public meeting which was immediately after the SMiSA AGM, he has a lot of tying up to do between now and the next meeting and as mentioned by Div, it's the job of SMiSA to raise the £380k needed to join forces with Gordon, he will attend and speak at as many meetings as he can to help us in our bid.

Why is George the public face of this bid rather than Gordon?

I'm not having a go here just genuinely intrigued as to why Gordon isnt more visible on this.

Given the lack of strong leadership at the club in the last few years, it is a little concerning to me that he is standing back and letting George take the lead role.

Is it maybe that he thinks people might think there is something in it for him personally if he's seen to be pushing it whereas that's less likely if a respected local MP fronts it?

hes not a respected MP

Clearly been a big slow down in sign ups. Hoping the public meeting will be the catalyst for for a big surge but between now and then it's important that we all continue to spread the message.

If all 470 each manage to persuade 1 bud to sign up then we are more or less there.

from email today to smisa members . . . . .

We're also putting a call out to all members who can help hand out leaflets before tomorrow's game, especially those in the main stand. If you are willing to help please send us an email at [email protected] and include a contact number. If the weather is poor we will be able stand just inside.

Also at the game we hope to shoot some video of fans we can include in out social media output so again if interested in participating please contact us using the email address above.

SMISA Team

Sorry div, I just cannot agree with this. Gordon is the leader he will be the chairman on the BOD. He needs to be out there telling people what his ideas are and leading from the front. The fact that the amount of people joining has slowed could be partially down to the lack of a figure head making clear the direction he wants to take the club. The amount of coverage this has received is poor.

Ask any St Mirren fan who Ann Budge is and I believe most fans would know her. Ask any Hearts fan who Gordon Scott is and I think very few if any would have a clue.

I believe that we would easily get to 1,000 members if fans clearly understood what exactly this was all about and more importantly when the deadline is. There is a clear lack of leadership.

Sorry div, I just cannot agree with this. Gordon is the leader he will be the chairman on the BOD. He needs to be out there telling people what his ideas are and leading from the front. The fact that the amount of people joining has slowed could be partially down to the lack of a figure head making clear the direction he wants to take the club. The amount of coverage this has received is poor.

Ask any St Mirren fan who Ann Budge is and I believe most fans would know her. Ask any Hearts fan who Gordon Scott is and I think very few if any would have a clue.

I believe that we would easily get to 1,000 members if fans clearly understood what exactly this was all about and more importantly when the deadline is. There is a clear lack of leadership.

Yeah I'd agree with this.

Look, when 10000Hours was first launched I struggled to get my head around what they were trying to do. I asked some questions online and Richard very kindly phoned me at home to go over some of the questions I was asking. In many ways I ended the call more confused than ever - the potential seemed to be unlimited, exciting. At one end of the scale it appeared to be a business club where a number of businessmen would pay extra and kind of get the opportunity through that to punt their services to the support as well as "networking" with other members from the support and from the community. There was also the potential for businesses to use their relationship with the CIC to push themselves forward for contracts available in the public sector that offer extra credence to those who offer some element of social responsibility. At the other end of the scale it seemed like a real opportunity for the fans to shape and mould the club into the kind of place they'd want it to be. For me it was a real chance to see the club finally be at the heart of the local community, and for the community to have loads of reasons to buy in. An opportunity came up for me to go to a conference on Social Funding of Sports clubs. Experts showed me how the CIC model worked, how it offered more opportunities to raise money, whilst encouraging the business to do even more for the community. It really was exciting so much so I couldn't put in to words just how huge the opportunity could be. I tried but whatever I was saying just didn't cover how massive I could see this being. Ultimately 10000Hours failed but it had put a spark in me. The examples I could see across Scotland were massive, real evidence of huge growth, it looked like the perfect model for a football club. I was gutted when the bid was rejected.

This time round....well it kind of just feels like what I'm doing is putting money in to help someone become a Chairman, and someone else to become a Director. I'm in, but I can totally understand why others aren't. The benefit needs selling, the vision needs explained. I hope that somehow this bid can get dragged over the line, but I don't see much sign of encouragement right now. Someone's going to have to put some rocket fuel in and then ignite it - cause asking fans to pay £12 extra per month just to get more of the same next season, and the season after that, and the season after that.....well it's not very inspiring, is it?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I can find nothing in the SMiSA website mentioning May, but then I've not been able to attend any meetings ( for obvious reasons ) so it's entirely possible that I'm mistaken about this.

Not sure how you missed it, mate. but this is the page

http://www.smisa.net/news-archive/19-buythebuds/196-19maypublicmeet

July is the date for money coming out of peoples accounts but the end of May is when GLS has said he wants everything in place for target of 1000 to be met if not the deal will be off.Thats my understanding of it.

Not sure how you missed it, mate. but this is the page

http://www.smisa.net/news-archive/19-buythebuds/196-19maypublicmeet

Apologies for not making myself clear mate, what I was intending to say, in response to Elvis' post (quoted above) was that I had seen nothing on the SMiSA site stating that the end of May was the cut off date for getting the 1000 members signed up, I had thought that we had until the beginning of July to make up the required numbers.

Apologies for not making myself clear mate, what I was intending to say, in response to Elvis' post (quoted above) was that I had seen nothing on the SMiSA site stating that the end of May was the cut off date for getting the 1000 members signed up, I had thought that we had until the beginning of July to make up the required numbers.

I was right, you were wrang. ????

im sure someone on here will be able to confirm that GLS wants to have it done and dusted by the end of May

im sure someone on here will be able to confirm that GLS wants to have it done and dusted by the end of May

That's my point, where is GLS and why is an issue such as this being discussed? This should be made crystal clear to the fans, it isn't a difficult question.

Gordon is in the USA tying up things there, he will be back for the public meeting on 19th., May.

The end of May is when Gordon and SMiSA would like to be able to see enough sign ups to proceed with the deal and then lodge the deposit of £100k (£80k Gordon, £20k SMiSA) which gives us one month exclusivity to purchase the consortium shares, meaning no bids from anywhere else can be accepted until July.

This is the crux of the matter for me.

If, as has already been suggested, it's a choice between the SMISA led bid and one led by business people whose motives we have no idea about, then the former would appear preferable.

At this stage it's about taking a gamble or a leap of faith, if you like, and sign up without knowing what other potential bidders could offer.

The SMISA bid is not without its flaws, but at least they're making huge efforts to make their plans easy to understand and to provide us with a fair degree of transparency, as events unfold.

I suppose other potential bidders could improve matters somewhat in terms of initial finance and promise us the earth.However, I've seen this too many times at other clubs, where there's been a hugely negative cost to the clubs involved in the long run.

We're at the stage where there's no option whether to stick or twist. The latter is the only path left. We can sit back and see what transpires or we can get actively involved and sign up for the SMISA bid and see if we, the supporters, can contribute to improving the fortunes of the club.

My gut feeling is to go with SMISA, but I certainly wouldn't deride anyone who doesn't sign up due to their concerns over the bid.

Edited by FTOF