Buy The Buds

buddiecat

It does seem odd that there is limited publicity of this.

In fairness it doesn't auger well that the new incumbents appear to be suffering from the same inability to sell the club as the current board.

I don't want to overly criticise for reasons I have expressed elsewhere but the lack of leadership is very strange.

Where on earth is Gordon for example?

Why is he not more visible?

Especially with the bid running out of time and stalled membership.

I might be coming across as harsh but there does seem to be very little energy about this entire campaign.

I don't recall a great deal more energy surrounding 10000Hours. I think people have simply become club sale fatigued. Combine that with 3 largely abysmal seasons, and its perhaps not surprising that folk aren't particularly turned onto this.

The media are also less interested now that we are even diddier than previously, and a second bid for fan ownership is less newsworthy in any event (ETA - especially when every spare column inch is devoted to the Dundee United and Hibs clusterf**ks, Celtic's managerial situation, and who Sevco might or might not be signing).

This bid was always going to be up against it. I daresay things could have been done better, but its important to take account of factors out with their influence.

Edited by Drew

The word has not been properly put out there I would be surprised if there are anything near 200 fans at Thursdays meeting.

Someone wrote this bid has been done at the wrong time of the year I tend to agree with that. Paisley express will give good coverage I would imagine but what is its circulation. National papers will just cover a wee story which might be hard to find.

Will be very surprised if this bid succeeds.

Be prepared to be surprised.

I don't recall a great deal more energy surrounding 10000Hours. I think people have simply become club sale fatigued. Combine that with 3 largely abysmal seasons, and its perhaps not surprising that folk aren't particularly turned onto this.

The media are also less interested now that we are even diddier than previously, and a second bid for fan ownership is less newsworthy in any event (ETA - especially when every spare column inch is devoted to the Dundee United and Hibs clusterf**ks, Celtic's managerial situation, and who Sevco might or might not be signing).

This bid was always going to be up against it. I daresay things could have been done better, but its important to take account of factors out with their influence.

Yep you may have a point about sale fatigue but the newspaper thing is irrelevant in the days of social media.

Do people not realise how hard it is to get a story in the national press ? SMiSA board members have been trying individually and as a group to drum up interest from the national press, they simply don't want to see past premiership teams. They have given us some column inches, but we would have been given more if we were from Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee. We have had coverage on radio and TV but again it would have been more if we were from a bigger city with more readers/watchers of newspapers and TV.

The SMiSA board and a few members/prospective members have been doing a lot of work for over a year on this bid. We have asked for help from anyone with any experience in professions that could help the bid, the response from some has been terrific, but i expected a lot more to offer to help.

The club were asked about getting season ticket buyers lists and have been told we can't be given these, i presume data protection issues come into being with both the club and 10k hours when it comes to giving out personal details.

I am quite disappointed that some fans want to come on here and state "this will never happen" or words to that effect, what purpose does that serve ? I have a lot of faith in our fans, and expect to see an uplift in sign ups soon.

Thanks to all who have signed up and to those who will.

Do people not realise how hard it is to get a story in the national press ? SMiSA board members have been trying individually and as a group to drum up interest from the national press, they simply don't want to see past premiership teams. They have given us some column inches, but we would have been given more if we were from Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee. We have had coverage on radio and TV but again it would have been more if we were from a bigger city with more readers/watchers of newspapers and TV.

The SMiSA board and a few members/prospective members have been doing a lot of work for over a year on this bid. We have asked for help from anyone with any experience in professions that could help the bid, the response from some has been terrific, but i expected a lot more to offer to help.

The club were asked about getting season ticket buyers lists and have been told we can't be given these, i presume data protection issues come into being with both the club and 10k hours when it comes to giving out personal details.

I am quite disappointed that some fans want to come on here and state "this will never happen" or words to that effect, what purpose does that serve ? I have a lot of faith in our fans, and expect to see an uplift in sign ups soon.

I think some fans are entitled to express concerns that the bid has slowed down and, at the moment, looking like coming up considerably short of the target.

I think the unsubstantiated claims it's almost a done deal are rather foolish and don't serve any real purpose,

I've already stated I think it's the right move but I'm still of the opinion, and have been for some time, it'll fall short.

Why or how is certainly up for debate.

PS If it does fail it certainly won't be because of a few negative comments on here.

Edited by faraway saint

I think some fans are entitled to express concerns that the bid has slowed down and, at the moment, looking like coming up considerably short of the target.

I think the unsubstantiated claims it's almost a done deal are rather foolish and don't serve any real purpose,

I've already stated I think it's the right move but I'm still of the opinion, and have been for some time, it'll fall short.

Why or how is certainly up for debate.

PS If it does fail it certainly won't be because of a few negative comments on here.

That's the point though, it cannot be short of target until the target date is set - expect that date soon. The survey we conducted last year got a very positive response and gave us the the inspiration to proceed with a bid. A fair number of people who replied to the survey and said they would sign up for a fan buy out, have still to do so, and i expect they will be as good as their word.

I know it will not fail due to negative comments on here, i just don't understand the need to be negative about it.

I am convinced the 10000hours bid was more visible. I think REA put himself in the picture far more, to be agreed with, disagreed with, or shot at in equal measure. Perhaps the 10000hours bid benefitted from taking place against a Scottish football landscape where fresh in the memory were characters like Craigie 'wealth off the radar' Whyte, Charlie 'chuckles' Green, 'Mad Vlad' Romanov, and that smarmy gobshite at Kilmarnock.

There was definitely a feeling of 'Oh shitttttteeeee... this could happen to us' and REA tapped into that. There was talk of Gilmour & Co only selling to those with St Mirren's interests at heart, but rumours flew around of a bid from Angelo Massone, and who knows who else. I think fans at the time felt our club could be threatened.

Can only speak for myself, but when 10000hours finally failed, just about the last thing I wanted to hear any more about was St Mirren and the words 'for sale'. If St Mirren appeared to be in grave danger, if excrement was heading in the direction of our fan (not Dicko, he's a customer), then I have no doubt the SMiSA/GLS bid would have reached 1000 sign ups in jig time. Hearts and Sevco's big troubles seem to have quietened down. The crisis, the urgency, the absolute need to act fast just does not seem to be there.

I also feel the leaders of the SMiSA/GLS bid have not nearly been visible enough or vocal enough. It all seems a bit 'meh' to me.

Edited by pozbaird

I have watched st mirren for over 50 years. I have never seen Gordon Scott and have no idea who he is.know he was a director once but I have never seen or heard him contribute to anything. Maybe my fault I read and listen to the wrong things

And this is partly why GLS should have been giving interviews in the press and on Sportsound, who have asked him on.

I have watched st mirren for over 50 years. I have never seen Gordon Scott and have no idea who he is.know he was a director once but I have never seen or heard him contribute to anything. Maybe my fault I read and listen to the wrong things

You thought Kyle Hutton was a striker.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?page_id=300

I just explained to Drew that the National press is totally irrelevant now.

Social media is the way forwards.

What use is all the hard work if it is not getting across to the larger Saints support which is what most of us are saying that should be seen as constructive criticism.

Lets look at 10,000 hours REA was always available on this site to answer questions which in my opinion helped to boost the numbers.

Lets look at when the new stadium was being built. Gordon Scott was available on the official web forum site with his own section to answer questions.

Who is answering questions regarding this buy out as all i am seeing is you mate , by the way i am signed up. Why is Gordon not on here Div would give him hiw own section to answer questions I'm very sure it would boost numbers.

So my question on Thursday if I could go would by. Gordon why have you ignored all media shows where been invited. Why are you not on a fans forum to answer questions.

For me something dose not smell right or maybe a better way to describe it is bells are ringing.

Hope I am wrong.

Then your comment made no sense.

Celtic and Rangers cant hog social media like they can with the mainstream media so that cant be a reason.

Eh?

The main outlets control their content. They have the greatest exposure (number of followers, etc.) and reach the largest numbers. They therefore choose what they think the majority want to read/hear about.

I thought that would be blatantly obvious.

Eh?

The main outlets control their content. They have the greatest exposure (number of followers, etc.) and reach the largest numbers. They therefore choose what they think the majority want to read/hear about.

I thought that would be blatantly obvious.

When I said social media did you actually understand what I meant?

Twitter, Youtube and Facebook control nothing.

What is obvious is that you are a dinosaur my friend.

When I said social media did you actually understand what I meant?

Twitter, Youtube and Facebook control nothing.

What is obvious is that you are a dinosaur my friend.

In that case, why don't you explain exactly what you mean.

I dare you.

ETA - I think I get it now. You were referring to MySpace and Bebo, right?

Edited by Drew

You're not alone. I wouldn't recognise him if he bumped into me in the street.

In fairness to Gordon, if being the charismatic front man for the bid isn't his style, it isn't his style. This isn't all about Gordon, after all.

Also, SMiSA is the sum of its parts, so should we reasonably expect guys who are office bearers but are otherwise much like the rest of us - ordinary St Mirren supporters - to be highly visible in promoting the initiative. The bid is certainly lacking in sparkle, but the scope for that would be pretty limited in any event.

I think GLS and SMiSA might have had a certain level of expectation (not unreasonably) that the concept of fan ownership would carry itself, to a greater degree. This clearly hasn't transpired, but I wouldn't hold them responsible for that to any great extent.

What use is all the hard work if it is not getting across to the larger Saints support which is what most of us are saying that should be seen as constructive criticism.

Lets look at 10,000 hours REA was always available on this site to answer questions which in my opinion helped to boost the numbers.

Lets look at when the new stadium was being built. Gordon Scott was available on the official web forum site with his own section to answer questions.

Who is answering questions regarding this buy out as all i am seeing is you mate , by the way i am signed up. Why is Gordon not on here Div would give him hiw own section to answer questions I'm very sure it would boost numbers.

So my question on Thursday if I could go would by. Gordon why have you ignored all media shows where been invited. Why are you not on a fans forum to answer questions.

For me something dose not smell right or maybe a better way to describe it is bells are ringing.

Hope I am wrong.

Me, BLF, barrymitchell and the whiteman have all been on here answering questions at one point or another. The web page www.smisa.net is the main place to read FAQS' and ask questions, this site is very helpful in allowing us to direct people to the main site - that way answers can be noted as official and genuine.

Gordon Scott was at the public meeting after the SMiSA AGM and will be at the public meeting again on Thursday to answer questions. I cannot speak on his behalf obviously, but i do know he has had limited time to spend in the UK because he has a lot of business ends to tie up in other countries to enable him to give all the time he can to the bid once he has tied up those things. Possibly he doesn't like the idea of being on social media - i don't know though. Or maybe he sees it as the job of SMiSA to communicate with members via their website etc.,

There will certainly be more meetings and press releases where he will attend to answer questions and give SMiSA his support. Let's see what Thursdays' meeting throws up, i'm sure most of the relevant questions will be asked then and it can be viewed on a live stream on Periscope (twitter) and on Facebook.

Edited by buddiecat