Buy The Buds

buddiecat

Yeah, it almost feels like Gordon Scott and the SMiSA committee have resigned themselves to the fact that either St Mirren fans will back the bid or they won't and it's no skin off their nose if people don't. I can understand that and I can understand how frustrating it must be for them to have gone through all the hard work of negotiating a deal and promoting it only for supporters to - it seems - not back it in the numbers required.

I get their PR strategy. It's classic politics. The less you say you'll do, the less people will question you or find flaws in what you are planning. You'll remember how tight 10000Hours got it when they mentioned the church, or when there was talk of a laundrette, I can understand SMiSA wanting to avoid that. Thing is that works if you have momentum behind you, but it's not going to work if a big Social Media push this weekend has only netted 13 new sign ups in 3 days.

Hopefully they'll get there. I'd feel far more settled in my contribution if they announced that once the bid completes they'll make St Mirren a not for profit organisation or a Social Enterprise. I'd be much happier if there was a promise of working with community groups to increase footfall at the stadium. I live in hope.

They cannot make SMFC a not for profit as they are not buying all the shares in the company. Unless they do their responsibility as a board of smfc is still to all shareholders and not just smisa or GLS

I don't see why GLS would be subjected to anything if he came in here, bar being asked questions that is. Why would he be subjected to abuse? There have been no 'Yul Brynner' characters posting that this new bid is a crock of shite and the people behind it shouldn't be allowed within a mile of St Mirren Park. There have been no St Sid types changing their online waffling to suit the way the wind is blowing on any particular day. There's been no panic that SG & Co are a steady hand on the rudder, with any new owner / chairman viewed with the utmost suspicion.

It has, quite frankly, been nothing even remotely like the shitstorm of pro and anti viewpoints, arguing and vitriol that marked the 10000hours years. It has, in my opinion, been a huge 'meh'.

To be fair, given the history of this site, Gordon posting on here is exactly the type of thing that draws out the type of poster you're describing.

Maybe there could be a section on SMISA's website where questions could be asked for Gordon to reply to.

I don't see why GLS would be subjected to anything if he came in here, bar being asked questions that is. Why would he be subjected to abuse? There have been no 'Yul Brynner' characters posting that this new bid is a crock of shite and the people behind it shouldn't be allowed within a mile of St Mirren Park. There have been no St Sid types changing their online waffling to suit the way the wind is blowing on any particular day. There's been no panic that SG & Co are a steady hand on the rudder, with any new owner / chairman viewed with the utmost suspicion.

It has, quite frankly, been nothing even remotely like the shitstorm of pro and anti viewpoints, arguing and vitriol that marked the 10000hours years. It has, in my opinion, been a huge 'meh'.

Some good reasons why "Yul" ain't about, posting at least anymore.

I am undecided as to whether a bit more "agro" rather than "meh" ness would help any or not in the final push......

.....I could always try "poacher turned gamekeeper" might be quite fun and at least I would not be anonymous

Edited by rea

Some good reasons why "Yul" ain't about, posting at least anymore.

I am undecided as to whether a bit more "agro" rather than "meh" ness would help any or not in the final push......

.....I could always try "poacher turned gamekeeper" might be quite fun...at least it would not be anonymous

Is it only suspicions of the identity of Yul, or was he as silly as another and inadvertently divulge his true identity?

Bit of both. The magnificent 7 (ish) largely I.d themselves in error when one of them contacted a third party who had someone with them at the time who they did not know knew me very well. I was working with them on a project for another Club which I was giving them a wee steer on re funding. It was a pure coincidence but just an example of "7 degrees of Kevin Bacon"

Leaving the cast of Westworld aside, did the 10000hours bid achieve the required amount of rank and file sign ups, and was the whole bid process, despite false starts and at least one re-boot far more visible and pro-active than what we've seen so far from SMiSA/GLS?

The answers are 'yes' and 'yes'. Anyone disagree with that?

Edited by pozbaird

I've already made reference to Gordon not being an accomplished public speaker type, and that was evidenced at the last public meeting.

I'm fine with that. The fewer Charles Green types in the mix the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I do think we could do with hearing a more strategic plan, however. Our aims over the next five years would be a, b, c, and d, for example. Reassuring, and not too difficult, I wouldn't have thought.

Edited by Drew

I've already made reference to Gordon not being an accomplished public speaker type, and that was evidenced at the last public meeting.

I'm fine with that. The fewer Charles Green types in the mix the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I do think we could do with hearing a more strategic plan, however. Our aims over the next five years would be a, b, c, and d, for example. Reassuring, and not too difficult, I wouldn't have thought.

That's fair enough Drew, but if 1000 sign ups aren't reached in about 20 or so days, any plans SMiSA/GLS might have in mind for the next five years won't matter a fcuk.

Leaving the cast of Westworld aside, did the 10000hours bid achieve the required amount of rank and file sign ups, and was the whole bid process, despite false starts and at least one re-boot far more visible and pro-active than what we've seen so far from SMiSA/GLS?

The answers are 'yes' and 'yes'. Anyone disagree with that?

Wholeheartedly disagree, because you cannot compare one to the other. They are two totally different bids in many ways. No idea of how 10k hours calculated their sign ups, do they have a list of more than 1000 single subscribers or did they have a list of potential subscribers, or had they counted promised cash amounts as sign ups by converting promised amounts into £10 lots ( J Bloggs and sons ltd., have promised £600 a month - we can count that as 60 sign ups) I don't know and neither do you because we have never seen those lists, so with all due respect you cannot prove the rank and file did sign up in those numbers. SMiSA have been actively posting on here and have had radio,TV, and press coverage, have held public meetings, had people on the ground handing out flyers at home and away games, what have we missed as compared to 10k hours ?

I suggest you reconsider your "yes and yes" comment.

Might be worth mentioning to your friends and family - this buyout bid is not just (though mainly is) about getting control of SMFC this is also about getting control of our wonderful facilities and opening them up for the good of our whole community. Schools, social clubs, nurseries, tenants/residents associations etc., can all benefit from our facilities. And i assure you i will be representing low cost (or no cost) access to the Paisley 2021 stadium for the good of all our community and beyond.
You don't have to be a saints supporter to sign up. SMiSA are currently working on plans to go out and engage with our community - let us know if we can help with anything you have in mind.

Wholeheartedly disagree, because you cannot compare one to the other. They are two totally different bids in many ways. No idea of how 10k hours calculated their sign ups, do they have a list of more than 1000 single subscribers or did they have a list of potential subscribers, or had they counted promised cash amounts as sign ups by converting promised amounts into £10 lots ( J Bloggs and sons ltd., have promised £600 a month - we can count that as 60 sign ups) I don't know and neither do you because we have never seen those lists, so with all due respect you cannot prove the rank and file did sign up in those numbers. SMiSA have been actively posting on here and have had radio,TV, and press coverage, have held public meetings, had people on the ground handing out flyers at home and away games, what have we missed as compared to 10k hours ?

Quite happy to take a straw poll of forum users to see who thinks 10000hours didn't achieve the required number of DD pledges from fans, and that the SMiSA / GLS bid leaders have been more visible than REA was.

This is obviously Gordons' call, personally i wouldn't blame him for not coming on here, given the amount of abuse that the current board have been given on here and also that given to the 10k hours consortium, maybe Gordon has decided he does not want to come on here and answer questions and then receive that sort of reply, when what he is planning is going to be for the good of our club (which he has already stated it will be)

Like i say i am convinced his motives are sound and will better our club, in fact i would be more concerned if he came on here promising this and that only for us to find that someone else has let him down and he couldn't fulfill that promise. I am happy that he has promised to further the fortunes of our club and that's all i need to know, i would be wary of any other promise from him which he made before taking over the reins, because until you know what you have and what you need to achieve from that then you can't go making promises.

Gordon needs to be in the hot seat and find out what he has been left to deal with before he can tell what he needs to get us back up the leagues, any speculation made before then would be just that - speculation. I want him to get control and then show he can improve our fortunes.

Just my view on the situation, nobody else has contributed to this view,

Very poor answer Gordon has been on this forum in the past. You don't like what's been asked you ignore like he did on the official forum when the stadium was being built. Personally I find it very strange why Gordon won't answer questions on this forum let's be honest here he is reading it.

Quite happy to take a straw poll of forum users to see who thinks 10000hours didn't achieve the required number of DD pledges from fans, and that the SMiSA / GLS bid leaders have been more visible than REA was.

On you go then, but what you will get is a minority response. This forum is great but the actual number of posters is way below the amount of people who have already signed up for this bid, meaning any straw pole will only reflect the thoughts of those who respond to it and will in no way represent the thoughts of the majority.

There are currently 47 registered members on the forum and 374 guests and anonymous readers, of that 374 most will be bots from tracking sites etc.,

Googlebot is Google's web crawling bot (sometimes also called a "spider"). Crawling is the process by which Googlebot and others discover new and updated pages to be added to the Google or their own index. Internet search engines use a huge set of computers to fetch information from (or "crawl") billions of pages on the web.

Edited by buddiecat

Well handily I can answer that.

SMISA are using the same system the 10000hours did...in fact so did FoH and RF.

I will confirm the exact numbers when next at my desk but we had a DD of individual members whose bank details we had of well over 1000. ( I think 1103 ) we then had our community members (@ £500 each) think we had 35 and then Club numbers at £3000 each which IIRC we had 42.

The only database that was not through the system which I had was the international sign ups as GC did not do overseas at the time again IIRC had 130 members.

So overall our members database (actual real members not guys paying double membership fees and being counted twice) was in the region of 1300.

We certainly did not take a £600 pm donation and count it as 60 members.

I personally think there have been some very good aspects of the bid organisation from SMISA..but also some bits that could be much better.

Just like my own bid there were bits we were very good at and bits that if I could do again I would do entirely differently. I suspect the SMISA guys already know their strengths and weaknesses and what they would also do differently if they had their time again

Might be worth mentioning to your friends and family - this buyout bid is not just (though mainly is) about getting control of SMFC this is also about getting control of our wonderful facilities and opening them up for the good of our whole community. Schools, social clubs, nurseries, tenants/residents associations etc., can all benefit from our facilities. And i assure you i will be representing low cost (or no cost) access to the Paisley 2021 stadium for the good of all our community and beyond.

You don't have to be a saints supporter to sign up. SMiSA are currently working on plans to go out and engage with our community - let us know if we can help with anything you have in mind.

You have to be careful to distinguish between the Club and SMISA who will mearly be a most significant shareholder. The board of the Club has to work for the benefit of the Club not Smisa...and that's where a strategy document that lays out why and how it would be good for both needs articulated.

A very simple thing we said at 10000hours was that if we had control of the board room then any SPL vote that was of the special nature that required an 11/1 vote we would poll all 10000hour members rather than it just being the decision of the board.

Stuff like this is a very simple strategic goal that is deliverable and very easily communicates in 10000hours case that we were serious about fan consultation.

The SMISA bid does not need to give a big plan out just some actual deliverables that the operation can be judged on if successful.

The reality is numbers will drop unless targets set now are met.

Very poor answer Gordon has been on this forum in the past. You don't like what's been asked you ignore like he did on the official forum when the stadium was being built. Personally I find it very strange why Gordon won't answer questions on this forum let's be honest here he is reading it.

I have no idea whether or not he is reading this forum, it's his choice just as it is yours or mine whether or not he responds or actually does read it. I couldn't honestly say one way or the other. What i will say is i don't hold him in any less regard either way.

I have stated before as has the SMISA official tweeter that this concern from fans will be conveyed to Gordon, we await his response, whether or not this helps the bid or hinders the bid if he does respond remains to be seen.

Continued good governance of the business,

Positive outlook,

New Energy,

A chairman we know,

Fan involvement,

Structure towards fan ownership,

Already better than what we have now.

I'm in.

So what does "new energy" look like when taking over the running of St Mirren FC? Fan involvement seems to equal 1 fan being elected once a year (?) by 1000 SMISA to serve on a board of unknown numbers of board members. Structure towards fan ownership seems to equal fans own 30% of the shares and have 1 board members and then in 10 years time could get Gordon Scott's shareholding too... and then what?

Continued good governance of the business

Positive outlook

New energy

A chairman we know

Fan involvement

A structure towards ?

Good to hear.