Buy The Buds

buddiecat

I think a good few folk will want to join up and be part of things after they learn that bid has been credible and the takeover is really going to happen.

The issue being, if a lot of folk are waiting for it to happen and for it to be credible before they sign up - what happens if the deadline passes without 1000 being reached and the sellers don't sell? There won't be anything for them to sign up for. I can understand St Mirren fans not signing up as they have concerns about X, Y or Z, but if anyone definitely fancies it, but only after it launches? Seriously - sign up NOW to give it a chance!

The issue being, if a lot of folk are waiting for it to happen and for it to be credible before they sign up - what happens if the deadline passes without 1000 being reached and the sellers don't sell? There won't be anything for them to sign up for. I can understand St Mirren fans not signing up as they have concerns about X, Y or Z, but if anyone definitely fancies it, but only after it launches? Seriously - sign up NOW to give it a chance!

yes, agreed

the 1000 sign ups target is as much about gauging the ambition of the support and the interest in the concept as it is about achieving the finance

lets show our ambitions for st.mirren by not just achieving the 1000 but smashing it

I'd suggest that the number one priority should be to have an extra push to sign up more people. Once the bid is accepted, use the feel good factor to get other people on board. Generate some excitement around the new chapter, and push toward 1500.

The more people signing up, the sooner Gordon's shareholding can be bought over, and the additional money in SMiSA's coffers can be put to good use.

I think a good few folk will want to join up and be part of things after they learn that bid has been credible and the takeover is really going to happen.

I agree, hitting 1000 sign ups is really only the start, we need as you say to push this to and involve every part of the community. As a minimum the club facilities should be being used seven days a week by the community, outwith football activities. Edited by Lord Pityme

Oh aye, I agree.

I do think, though, that it is time to move on from the Project Fear Lite approach to this, with a lot of emphasis being placed on perceived slower uptake than expected and a lack of exposure etc. I'm looking to talk things up a wee bit now that I think the first goal is genuinely in sight.

I suspect that a good numbe rof folk who are ambivalent feel that way because they are not convinced that the bid is credible. I think the current numbers prove that it is credible, and I think the emphasis should shift a bit more towards talking up how we can take it forward in a positive way that will encourage switherers to get on board.

Oh aye, I agree.

I do think, though, that it is time to move on from the Project Fear Lite approach to this, with a lot of emphasis being placed on perceived slower uptake than expected and a lack of exposure etc. I'm looking to talk things up a wee bit now that I think the first goal is genuinely in sight.

I suspect that a good numbe rof folk who are ambivalent feel that way because they are not convinced that the bid is credible. I think the current numbers prove that it is credible, and I think the emphasis should shift a bit more towards talking up how we can take it forward in a positive way that will encourage switherers to get on board.

One sure way to get from 805 to 1000 in 9 days..... Free beans with every sign up.

I agree, hitting 1000 sign ups is really only the start, we need as you say to push this to and involve every part of the community. As a minimum the club facilities should be being used seven days a week by the community, outwith football activities.

That's personally what I'm hoping to see come from this. And I'd like to see as wide a variety of people involved in activities at the stadium (or activities elsewhere organised by the club) as possible. The club should touch the lives of everyone in the area in some way.

I'm all for the community stuff, but it's hardly what I am gagging to see happen as my No1 priority. My personal No1 priority is to see new incumbents in the boardroom who have the desire, drive, and ideas to first and foremost be of benefit to St Mirren FC the football club. The other stuff is fine and dandy, but all in good time.

Any news on a community based laundry service being on the agenda this time?

Don't be cruel!

Things seemed to have stalled a bit at the 600 or so mark. My thoughts were that reaching 750 would provide the momentum to get this over the line (whether the full 1000 will be reached is another matter).

I can only see this happening now, and it will be great credit to everyone involved. No doubt, the real work will then start, but a freshness about the club is long overdue.

My hope is that a successful bid will have a cohesive effect, not just among the support, but the broader community also. There is huge potential for the club to develop its community credentials, and that has to be a priority.

I'll be very proud to be part of the new chapter of our wonderful club's history, no matter how small a part. The whole point of a community is that it is all about the sum of it's parts. I hope people see it that way, and don't get too caught up in what they have to gain by signing up. As more people join up, its certainly looking that way.

I've got a good feeling about this....

The community aspect is a big part of our future plans. Fitzy is all for this, he wants to see a capacity crowd of home fans, and he wants to get out in the community - schools,clubs etc., and have hundreds of kids running about, playing football or any other activity with one common denominator - they will all be wearing saints tops. SMiSA will work with Fitzy, the board, the fans council and other local groups very closely on this and other community activities.

I'm all for the community stuff, but it's hardly what I am gagging to see happen as my No1 priority. My personal No1 priority is to see new incumbents in the boardroom who have the desire, drive, and ideas to first and foremost be of benefit to St Mirren FC the football club. The other stuff is fine and dandy, but all in good time.

Any news on a community based laundry service being on the agenda this time?

It's a wishy washy idea, but i suppose we could get a lad in to do it.

And i agree, we need to get our act together on the park to generate some interest from the kids and community, then get them involved in any way we can, and keep them involved.

Edited by buddiecat

Over the long term I don't think the performance of the team on the park will be very different unless we become a 'bigger' club, and to me that means getting more people through the gate. That will only happen consistently over the long term if more people have an affinity for the club that can withstand all the ups and downs that will inevitably occur. To me the best long term way to achieve that is by trying to put roots into every corner of the local community and by consciously avoiding linking that with short term benefits to the first team.

The community aspect is a big part of our future plans. Fitzy is all for this, he wants to see a capacity crowd of home fans, and he wants to get out in the community - schools,clubs etc., and have hundreds of kids running about, playing football or any other activity with one common denominator - they will all be wearing saints tops. SMiSA will work with Fitzy, the board, the fans council and other local groups very closely on this and other community activities.

There isn't a need to take the identity of community groups away by putting everyone in Saints tops, that would concern me, but getting community groups into the stadium and the dome 7 days a week should be a no brainer. Getting them in boosts turnover, profits and the clubs profile.

I'm bemused when I read people who say that they aren't that bothered about developing community links. How the hell do you expect to grow the club without local people?

Can you tell that post by Buddiecat has wound me up? Second post off the same topic. If one thing is absolutely guaranteed to stop community groups from working with the club it would be this boorish bullshit about making them all wear St Mirren kit.

I can talk from experience. At Wishaw Wycombe we had an opportunity to take over a plot of land - around four full sized football pitches in size - for free, if we could work with the guys at Wishaw Juniors and with the American Football team Clyde Valley Eagles. The guidance we received from the SFA was that we should look to set up an Umbrella Company called something like "Wishaw United" to manage the facilities and allow the three clubs to operate independently within that structure. Wishaw Juniors didn't fancy that. They reckoned since they were highest up the Football League rankings they should run the project and we should all amalgamate under their constitution and branding. The meeting lasted minutes before talks broke down irretrievably. Why? Well all three clubs were very distinct in what they did and we weren't Wishaw Juniors.

Fitzy needs to drop this idea of all these clubs being rebranded in St Mirren kits. Approaching local groups with that proposal would show that St Mirren haven't moved on at all. It would look like an aggressive hostile takeover bid and it would show St Mirren up as a club so self absorbed in it's own importance that it didn't give a f**k about the local community.

Can you tell that post by Buddiecat has wound me up? Second post off the same topic. If one thing is absolutely guaranteed to stop community groups from working with the club it would be this boorish bullshit about making them all wear St Mirren kit.

I can talk from experience. At Wishaw Wycombe we had an opportunity to take over a plot of land - around four full sized football pitches in size - for free, if we could work with the guys at Wishaw Juniors and with the American Football team Clyde Valley Eagles. The guidance we received from the SFA was that we should look to set up an Umbrella Company called something like "Wishaw United" to manage the facilities and allow the three clubs to operate independently within that structure. Wishaw Juniors didn't fancy that. They reckoned since they were highest up the Football League rankings they should run the project and we should all amalgamate under their constitution and branding. The meeting lasted minutes before talks broke down irretrievably. Why? Well all three clubs were very distinct in what they did and we weren't Wishaw Juniors.

Fitzy needs to drop this idea of all these clubs being rebranded in St Mirren kits. Approaching local groups with that proposal would show that St Mirren haven't moved on at all. It would look like an aggressive hostile takeover bid and it would show St Mirren up as a club so self absorbed in it's own importance that it didn't give a f**k about the local community.

We huvnae got any strips to give out tae Saints fans never mind the Community. lol.gif

Do you actually think that the plan is to have all these clubs rebranded - you don't show much respect for the intelligence of the people who run these clubs or indeed for your own intelligence - for example, local youth football teams would not be able to tell each other apart, never mind the nightmare the ref would have, if they played each other and all wore saints tops.

The idea is to get kids wearing saints tops (instead of barca,man u, man c, sunderland, etc., tops) when they are out and about.

Rebranding local clubs is something you have made up to get reaction, i don't usually react to your posts, and frankly i feel ill now.

Do you actually think that the plan is to have all these clubs rebranded - you don't show much respect for the intelligence of the people who run these clubs or indeed for your own intelligence - for example, local youth football teams would not be able to tell each other apart, never mind the nightmare the ref would have, if they played each other and all wore saints tops.

The idea is to get kids wearing saints tops (instead of barca,man u, man c, sunderland, etc., tops) when they are out and about.

Rebranding local clubs is something you have made up to get reaction, i don't usually react to your posts, and frankly i feel ill now.

I think you'll find that most of his posts are made up and contain a tissue of lies.

Impossible presently to have any children wearing new St Mirren strips.

Some have been waiting patiently since April when the decent play football outside weather kicked in.

Unfortunately our Football Club are well,.... TIRED.

They have been for 6 years, apparently.

But didnae have the sense to move on and retire.

Laughable

You said Fitz was keen to work with community groups to get the stadium and facilities used 7 days a week. Great. Then you said the one thing all these kids would have in common is they'd be wearing St Mirren kit. How the f**k is that supposed to play out? Either you aren't going to be working with community groups at all if they want to maintain their own identity, or Fitz is planning to ignore all the local experts in their field to set up rival dance schools, rival running clubs, rival knitting and sowing classes, etc, etc......

I'm not looking for a reaction from anyone or anything. How SMiSA intend to treat the local community is a deal maker or deal breaker for me. What you've said is either completely wrong, misleading, I've completely misunderstood you or its the kind of thing that's absolutely doomed to failure and something I'd want no part of.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

You said Fitz was keen to work with community groups to get the stadium and facilities used 7 days a week. Great. Then you said the one thing all these kids would have in common is they'd be wearing St Mirren kit. How the f**k is that supposed to play out? Either you aren't going to be working with community groups at all if they want to maintain their own identity, or Fitz is planning to ignore all the local experts in their field to set up rival dance schools, rival running clubs, rival knitting and sowing classes, etc, etc......

I'm not looking for a reaction from anyone or anything. How SMiSA intend to treat the local community is a deal maker or deal breaker for me. What you've said is either completely wrong, misleading, I've completely misunderstood you or its the kind of thing that's absolutely doomed to failure and something I'd want no part of.

This is what you seem intent on dramatising to suit your own ends. The community does not belong to you, me or any individual.

SMiSA and the club will work hard to enhance, improve, strengthen and develop its links with the community. Both will work to have the widest representation of the community involved. Your rants I would suggest come over as anti-community, as you seem to only want your version.

If you cant be arsed to get involved, then let those who can be get on with it!

You've completely misunderstood the difference between community and community groups. Fitzy wants to go into the community (i.e. the towns) and see kids out and about playing or doing whatever in Saints strips instead of the myriad that's currently seen.