Buy The Buds

buddiecat

I am not expecting to see any significant or visible changes for a while. As far as I am concerned, SG & Co were (to their credit) in it for the long haul, and the GLS / SMiSA era is no short-term, quick-fix takeover. It marks the start of another, hopefully successful and stable, period in our history.

Take as much time as you need GLS & Co. We are looking at the next five, ten, twenty years.... not days.

30 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I am not expecting to see any significant or visible changes for a while. As far as I am concerned, SG & Co were (to their credit) in it for the long haul, and the GLS / SMiSA era is no short-term, quick-fix takeover. It marks the start of another, hopefully successful and stable, period in our history.

Take as much time as you need GLS & Co. We are looking at the next five, ten, twenty years.... not days.

Like it, poz...

unctuous'll get your panels fitted. :)

Edited by antrin

15 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Twenty years to fix the tannoy? 

Gets my vote.

54 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Tell StuD that! :o

Good-ish news.  I'm now awaiting the proof that this is in the best interests of the club.

Plus points are

• the new chairman will be far more focussed on getting the most out of the non-match day revenue stream-even if that requires some investment
  • there is now some certainty in the medium to long term on direction and strategy for the club, this should help keep the positivity going.  I felt a little sorry for all of the managers (even Murray and Craig) that they were working in such an uncertain atmosphere.

Potential negatives

• Should the new chairman die/go bust/go mad, we could be back to being vulnerable to takeover by other parties.  Unless, of course, he remembers us in his will.
  • despite the investment, the single seat on the board only allows the fans a voice. Fan Influence, but not fan power.
  • the fan's voice will be a mouthpiece for what is effectively a club with a committee.  There are filters on what the fans think and feel as the messages are passed along the chain

Tell StuD that! [emoji33]

I think maybe you mis-understand me. I'm not expecting a different style of football. What I'm referring to is a more personal thing and I would have thought most football fans would have understood.

I started supporting St Mirren in 1978 in the back of a turgid 1-1 home draw on a freezing cold day against Partick Thistle. It wasnt the performance that hooked me it was a feeling that this was my club. In 2002 I stopped supporting St Mirren because I lost that feeling. Over a number of years I saw the board of the club behaving in a manner I couldn't agree with whether you want to talk about the vote to create the SPL, the slashing of the Youth Development programme, the splitting of ties with groups in the community, the treatment of staff and players, the admission policy, or the final straw for me....the treatment of Tom Hendrie. How could I class myself as a fan when there was nothing positive for me to support?

The fan buyout is positive. It's a new dawn. I'm excited about what the club could become. I wish the new owners well. I'm a member paying my money and this is an ownership model I can support. But I can class myself a fan again until I regain at least part of that feeling that was in me from 78 - 02. I'll only know if that's there when I'm watching the club play.

Great news and a massive congratulations to all those involved in making this happen.
All of us need to keep spreading the word, especially to fans that are out of the loop and out with the Paisley area, to get even more Buds signed up.
I had mentioned it to my dad ages ago and assumed he had signed up, but the auld bugger hadn't. Just off the phone to him now and he's finally done it.
Now that it's all a done deal, surely some of the sceptics will join us, knowing it is officially the way forward for the mighty Saints now.
Exciting times ahead!!

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Good-ish news.  I'm now awaiting the proof that this is in the best interests of the club.

Plus points are

• the new chairman will be far more focussed on getting the most out of the non-match day revenue stream-even if that requires some investment
  • there is now some certainty in the medium to long term on direction and strategy for the club, this should help keep the positivity going.  I felt a little sorry for all of the managers (even Murray and Craig) that they were working in such an uncertain atmosphere.

Potential negatives

• Should the new chairman die/go bust/go mad, we could be back to being vulnerable to takeover by other parties.  Unless, of course, he remembers us in his will.
  • despite the investment, the single seat on the board only allows the fans a voice. Fan Influence, but not fan power.
  • the fan's voice will be a mouthpiece for what is effectively a club with a committee.  There are filters on what the fans think and feel as the messages are passed along the chain

How do 1300 plus supporters get 'power' at any football club? How many paid up members do Barcelona have? Zillions. What power does an individual punter over there weild? Not a lot I would suggest, other than paying his subs' and feeling like he 'owns his club'.

I'm paying my subs. What power do I feel I have? I could put myself forward as a member of SMiSA to be considered for election as the SMiSA rep' on the new BoD. I can look at those who DO decide to put themselves up for election and vote for one of them. 

That aside, business as usual. St Mirren generate cash from ticket sales, sponsorship, corporate... and a team is put out each week allowing me to moan, groan, cheer, applaud, despair, delight.... 

I have had fcuk-all power since my first game in 1977. Now the club has been passed on to Smurrrrnnn minded folk and I have a new-found stake, a new attachment, a new attitude.

It has become 'my club' in a more tangible way this morning. It doesn't mean I will now be consulted on the club's machinations and asked my opinion on the best brand of fuse with which to fix the South Stand tannoy.

Edited by pozbaird

I just wish to thank the outgoing BOD for all they have done for the club in the last 20 odds years. My thank also to SMISA for all the support that they have given to the club over the years, and finally to GLS for putting the bulk of the cash on the table to make this takeover happen with the support of SMISA. I am sure we can be as successful over the next 20 years as we have been in the pass 20 years :cheers

Great news.

Worth remembering though that the fans don't own the club just yet. Subscriptions need to be maintained until 2026 for SMISA to buy out Gordon Scott and become the majority shareholder. Hopefully with 1300 members there's enough leeway there to mean it won't be a problem if there's a bit of drop off. With his previous experience on the board, love for the club and willingness to work with SMISA, GS should be an excellent custodian in the meantime.

Looking forward to hearing what the options will be for the £2 and being canvassed by some of the 1300 who want to be on the board!

The SMISA committee will use that time to finalise a procedure for members to elect one of their own to serve as their voice in the St Mirren boardroom. At the same time, we have already started work on a procedure through which our members can vote to choose how the £2 portion of their monthly membership will be spent on the club. Once we have firmed up arrangements for both of these issues, we will put the details before members.

Exciting times!

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, Mr Zo said:

Looking forward to what should be a great celebration at students union next Saturday evening. The dawn of a new and exciting era for the club and it's wonderful supporters. :-)

Putting together a playlist for Saturday , hopefully all the Saints tunes from through the years. Any suggestions also welcome in case my ageing brain cells are struggling to remember

4 hours ago, billyg said:

Putting together a playlist for Saturday , hopefully all the Saints tunes from through the years. Any suggestions also welcome in case my ageing brain cells are struggling to remember

All we need for next Saturday's event to be a rip roaring success is a victory over the Ton. Win and it will be bouncing but lose and it will be a damp squib. By definition a draw will see it be something in between.

On 01/08/2016 at 0:47 PM, billyg said:

Na Na Na - Cozy Powell, Daydream Believer, Under the moon of love,

• 1 month later...