buddiecat

Buy The Buds

I have watched st mirren for over 50 years. I have never seen Gordon Scott and have no idea who he is.know he was a director once but I have never seen or heard him contribute to anything. Maybe my fault I read and listen to the wrong things

I am convinced the 10000hours bid was more visible. I think REA put himself in the picture far more, to be agreed with, disagreed with, or shot at in equal measure. Perhaps the 10000hours bid benefitted from taking place against a Scottish football landscape where fresh in the memory were characters like Craigie 'wealth off the radar' Whyte, Charlie 'chuckles' Green, 'Mad Vlad' Romanov, and that smarmy gobshite at Kilmarnock.

There was definitely a feeling of 'Oh shitttttteeeee... this could happen to us' and REA tapped into that. There was talk of Gilmour & Co only selling to those with St Mirren's interests at heart, but rumours flew around of a bid from Angelo Massone, and who knows who else. I think fans at the time felt our club could be threatened.

Can only speak for myself, but when 10000hours finally failed, just about the last thing I wanted to hear any more about was St Mirren and the words 'for sale'. If St Mirren appeared to be in grave danger, if excrement was heading in the direction of our fan (not Dicko, he's a customer), then I have no doubt the SMiSA/GLS bid would have reached 1000 sign ups in jig time. Hearts and Sevco's big troubles seem to have quietened down. The crisis, the urgency, the absolute need to act fast just does not seem to be there.

I also feel the leaders of the SMiSA/GLS bid have not nearly been visible enough or vocal enough. It all seems a bit 'meh' to me.

Edited by pozbaird

I have watched st mirren for over 50 years. I have never seen Gordon Scott and have no idea who he is.know he was a director once but I have never seen or heard him contribute to anything. Maybe my fault I read and listen to the wrong things

And this is partly why GLS should have been giving interviews in the press and on Sportsound, who have asked him on.

I was in Dundee at the time of 10000hrs and I was aware of that bid. I was aware of at least a couple of meetings. This bid is lacking something as if I had not joined this forum I probably would not be aware of a bid never mind any meeting this week

You thought Kyle Hutton was a striker.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?page_id=300

Do people not realise how hard it is to get a story in the national press ? SMiSA board members have been trying individually and as a group to drum up interest from the national press, they simply don't want to see past premiership teams. They have given us some column inches, but we would have been given more if we were from Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee. We have had coverage on radio and TV but again it would have been more if we were from a bigger city with more readers/watchers of newspapers and TV.

The SMiSA board and a few members/prospective members have been doing a lot of work for over a year on this bid. We have asked for help from anyone with any experience in professions that could help the bid, the response from some has been terrific, but i expected a lot more to offer to help.

The club were asked about getting season ticket buyers lists and have been told we can't be given these, i presume data protection issues come into being with both the club and 10k hours when it comes to giving out personal details.

I am quite disappointed that some fans want to come on here and state "this will never happen" or words to that effect, what purpose does that serve ? I have a lot of faith in our fans, and expect to see an uplift in sign ups soon.

Thanks to all who have signed up and to those who will.

I just explained to Drew that the National press is totally irrelevant now.

Social media is the way forwards.

Do people not realise how hard it is to get a story in the national press ? SMiSA board members have been trying individually and as a group to drum up interest from the national press, they simply don't want to see past premiership teams. They have given us some column inches, but we would have been given more if we were from Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee. We have had coverage on radio and TV but again it would have been more if we were from a bigger city with more readers/watchers of newspapers and TV.

The SMiSA board and a few members/prospective members have been doing a lot of work for over a year on this bid. We have asked for help from anyone with any experience in professions that could help the bid, the response from some has been terrific, but i expected a lot more to offer to help.

The club were asked about getting season ticket buyers lists and have been told we can't be given these, i presume data protection issues come into being with both the club and 10k hours when it comes to giving out personal details.

I am quite disappointed that some fans want to come on here and state "this will never happen" or words to that effect, what purpose does that serve ? I have a lot of faith in our fans, and expect to see an uplift in sign ups soon.

Thanks to all who have signed up and to those who will.

What use is all the hard work if it is not getting across to the larger Saints support which is what most of us are saying that should be seen as constructive criticism.

Lets look at 10,000 hours REA was always available on this site to answer questions which in my opinion helped to boost the numbers.

Lets look at when the new stadium was being built. Gordon Scott was available on the official web forum site with his own section to answer questions.

Who is answering questions regarding this buy out as all i am seeing is you mate , by the way i am signed up. Why is Gordon not on here Div would give him hiw own section to answer questions I'm very sure it would boost numbers.

So my question on Thursday if I could go would by. Gordon why have you ignored all media shows where been invited. Why are you not on a fans forum to answer questions.

For me something dose not smell right or maybe a better way to describe it is bells are ringing.

Hope I am wrong.

Then your comment made no sense.

Celtic and Rangers cant hog social media like they can with the mainstream media so that cant be a reason.

Eh?

The main outlets control their content. They have the greatest exposure (number of followers, etc.) and reach the largest numbers. They therefore choose what they think the majority want to read/hear about.

I thought that would be blatantly obvious.

Eh?

The main outlets control their content. They have the greatest exposure (number of followers, etc.) and reach the largest numbers. They therefore choose what they think the majority want to read/hear about.

I thought that would be blatantly obvious.

When I said social media did you actually understand what I meant?

Twitter, Youtube and Facebook control nothing.

What is obvious is that you are a dinosaur my friend.

When I said social media did you actually understand what I meant?

Twitter, Youtube and Facebook control nothing.

What is obvious is that you are a dinosaur my friend.

In that case, why don't you explain exactly what you mean.

I dare you.

ETA - I think I get it now. You were referring to MySpace and Bebo, right?

Edited by Drew

You're not alone. I wouldn't recognise him if he bumped into me in the street.

In fairness to Gordon, if being the charismatic front man for the bid isn't his style, it isn't his style. This isn't all about Gordon, after all.

Also, SMiSA is the sum of its parts, so should we reasonably expect guys who are office bearers but are otherwise much like the rest of us - ordinary St Mirren supporters - to be highly visible in promoting the initiative. The bid is certainly lacking in sparkle, but the scope for that would be pretty limited in any event.

I think GLS and SMiSA might have had a certain level of expectation (not unreasonably) that the concept of fan ownership would carry itself, to a greater degree. This clearly hasn't transpired, but I wouldn't hold them responsible for that to any great extent.

In fairness to Gordon, if being the charismatic front man for the bid isn't his style, it isn't his style. This isn't all about Gordon, after all.

Also, SMiSA is the sum of its parts, so should we reasonably expect guys who are office bearers but are otherwise much like the rest of us - ordinary St Mirren supporters - to be highly visible in promoting the initiative. The bid is certainly lacking in sparkle, but the scope for that would be pretty limited in any event.

I think GLS and SMiSA might have had a certain level of expectation (not unreasonably) that the concept of fan ownership would carry itself, to a greater degree. This clearly hasn't transpired, but I wouldn't hold them responsible for that to any great extent.

Having been involved with the press previously I know it can be hard work to start with. But where there is a will, there is a way.

It's about being creative and imaginative with what's on offer and selling it to the right people.

As much as I and others want fan ownership to work I'm not currently seeing this from the SMiSA's Guys/Lassie's.

Please take this as constructive criticism and hopefully after the public meeting on Thursday it will push on.

What use is all the hard work if it is not getting across to the larger Saints support which is what most of us are saying that should be seen as constructive criticism.

Lets look at 10,000 hours REA was always available on this site to answer questions which in my opinion helped to boost the numbers.

Lets look at when the new stadium was being built. Gordon Scott was available on the official web forum site with his own section to answer questions.

Who is answering questions regarding this buy out as all i am seeing is you mate , by the way i am signed up. Why is Gordon not on here Div would give him hiw own section to answer questions I'm very sure it would boost numbers.

So my question on Thursday if I could go would by. Gordon why have you ignored all media shows where been invited. Why are you not on a fans forum to answer questions.

For me something dose not smell right or maybe a better way to describe it is bells are ringing.

Hope I am wrong.

Me, BLF, barrymitchell and the whiteman have all been on here answering questions at one point or another. The web page www.smisa.net is the main place to read FAQS' and ask questions, this site is very helpful in allowing us to direct people to the main site - that way answers can be noted as official and genuine.

Gordon Scott was at the public meeting after the SMiSA AGM and will be at the public meeting again on Thursday to answer questions. I cannot speak on his behalf obviously, but i do know he has had limited time to spend in the UK because he has a lot of business ends to tie up in other countries to enable him to give all the time he can to the bid once he has tied up those things. Possibly he doesn't like the idea of being on social media - i don't know though. Or maybe he sees it as the job of SMiSA to communicate with members via their website etc.,

There will certainly be more meetings and press releases where he will attend to answer questions and give SMiSA his support. Let's see what Thursdays' meeting throws up, i'm sure most of the relevant questions will be asked then and it can be viewed on a live stream on Periscope (twitter) and on Facebook.

Edited by buddiecat

I am sure that I'm not the only Buddie who is living somewhere that GoCardless hasn't yet been rolled out. SMiSA have informed me that a Paypal DD cannot be organised until / unless the deal is finalised; I will definitely be signing up as soon as I'm able ( I consider this an expression of intent ) and am wondering if SMiSA are able to divulge how many " expressions of intent " they have received up to this point?

Edited by BaldyOzBud

Apart from the facts we are no longer in the premier league, armaggedon isnae happening, The Rangers urnae deid, the leagues are not being re-organised to 8x8x8 to atttract a sponsor etc...etc...

Can you for a moment imagine the response when you contact a non-pro saints journalist to say:

"hey, hold the front page, i am giving you first dibs on this exclusive.... The st mirren fans are going to buy the club!!!"

"Whit again??? Huv you no fallen on yir arse enough times wae that wan?"

The series of previously failed fan involved bids for the club have put us in the same position as the boy who cried wolf. In fact if you go back to the final days of the fall of 10000 hours, even the person leading the bid admitted it had becime a toxic brand as far as the media were concerned.

We all have to accept that St Mirren, Smisa, GLS, fan buy outs etc in Paisley do not send ripples of exitement through scottish media, they are battle weary in covering that story. This bid will not only thrive and survive, but succeed because against the whole f**king lot of them saints fans yet again, came together and made it happen inspite of them, not because of them!

Whoever gives us a hope in hell? Sometimes even we don't.... And that is when we are at our most deadly, when the f**kers think we've had it!

With the shysters in Govan in a cup final, and back in the Prem, the media are falling over themselves to create stories that endear them to 'ra peepul' again. The other cheek of the bigots erse are swapping managers again!

No fellow buds, we wont be able to count on their support and coverage this time, this is the way we always need to do it, its called the hard way, and every saints fan knows exactly what that is and what it feels like.

This isn't for the media, the ugly sisters, and the armaggedon crew.... This One Is For PAISLEY..!

I have to say how impressed I am with the posters rattling off without the need for thought the date, the time and the place of the public meeting they swear they know nothing about... Job done communication wise there.

On a more serious note, can I ask in all honesty who do you think will sign up to, promote, recruit, renew and make this bid a success other than the person looking at the screen now?

There is a big clue in the name "Fan-Led"!

If you think not enough people know about it then shout it from the rooftops!

If you worry not enough people will attend the public meeting 19/5/16,19:00, at The Paisley 2021 stadium then kidnap, you're mates, wives, lovers, children, Granny and the bloke in the pub, and deliver them to the meeting saying they have to sign a very modest £12 a month ranson direct debit, and listen to dyed in the wool saints fans explain how to leave a legacy!

If you worry "what if?". Then come along and ask "what if?"

What we all need to understand, accept and take our share of responsibility for is the meeting this Thursday, and whatever target date is announced only mark the begining, the start point, ground zero! There is a whole lot of work for all saints fans to get involved with that will secure the future of the club, and ensure when called upon, we stood up, rolled up the sleeves and built a legacy we can pass on to future generations of saints fans and buddies.

Its no use looking for someone else to "publicise" it more, to get more "sign ups", to take the initiative! That my fellow buds will be us!!!

We will determine the level of success achieved, we have the greatest influence over the number of people involved, we will deliver this!

Each and everyone of us needs to commit, take some responsibility and make it happen the way we want it to happen for us and generations of Saints fans.

The heart warming stories of relatives pledging funds because their dear departed dad would have wanted to Buy The Buds so all the grand weans could continue to keep the faith for generations to come, the proud dads, babes in arms making the commitment to back it so their little one can see what dad helped to build, in my family five brothers, and sons fully signed up and backing the bid, the sheer tenacity of all involved (especially the current SMFC board) to bring a fully costed, realistically priced bid to you the fans is very humbling.

No one asked, told, slated, berated or made all of the above do, say and act the way they have. They committed!

Thats all it takes to create something, then the strength, energy, and enthusiasm of your fellow buds will carry you on. Forget the 'Negs'....

#BuyTheBuds

I have to say how impressed I am with the posters rattling off without the need for thought the date, the time and the place of the public meeting they swear they know nothing about... Job done communication wise there.

On a more serious note, can I ask in all honesty who do you think will sign up to, promote, recruit, renew and make this bid a success other than the person looking at the screen now?

If you worry not enough people will attend the public meeting 19/5/16,19:00, at The Paisley 2021 stadium then kidnap, you're mates, wives, lovers, children, Granny and the bloke in the pub, and deliver them to the meeting saying they have to sign a very modest £12 a month ranson direct debit, and listen to dyed in the wool saints fans explain how to leave a legacy!

What we all need to understand, accept and take our share of responsibility for is the meeting this Thursday, and whatever target date is announced only mark the begining, the start point, ground zero! There is a whole lot of work for all saints fans to get involved with that will secure the future of the club, and ensure when called upon, we stood up, rolled up the sleeves and built a legacy we can pass on to future generations of saints fans and buddies.

Its no use looking for someone else to "publicise" it more, to get more "sign ups", to take the initiative! That my fellow buds will be us!!!

We will determine the level of success achieved, we have the greatest influence over the number of people involved, we will deliver this!

Each and everyone of us needs to commit, take some responsibility and make it happen the way we want it to happen for us and generations of Saints fans.

The heart warming stories of relatives pledging funds because their dear departed dad would have wanted to Buy The Buds so all the grand weans could continue to keep the faith for generations to come, the proud dads, babes in arms making the commitment to back it so their little one can see what dad helped to build, in my family five brothers, and sons fully signed up and backing the bid, the sheer tenacity of all involved (especially the current SMFC board) to bring a fully costed, realistically priced bid to you the fans is very humbling.

No one asked, told, slated, berated or made all of the above do, say and act the way they have. They committed!

Thats all it takes to create something, then the strength, energy, and enthusiasm of your fellow buds will carry you on. Forget the 'Negs'....

#BuyTheBuds

Don't forget the wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, sisters, Grannies, Grandpas, aunts, uncles, cousins and daughters.

#BuyTheBuds

I wouldn't suggest it's a good idea to say 'how impressed you are with posters rattling off' to the very people you are trying to engage with or appeal to with regard to the club buying out process.

There are many different opinions that we all share on here, some more knowledgeable than others some less.

I don't think people are 'rattling off' I think people are contributing their thoughts and opinions and personal experiences to the situation.

#justathought

We all

Edited by whydowebother

I wouldn't suggest it's a good idea to say 'how impressed you are with posters rattling off' to the very people you are trying to engage with or appeal to with regard to the club buying out process.

There are many different opinions that we all share on here, some more knowledgeable than others some less.

I don't think people are 'rattling off' I think people are contributing their thoughts and opinions and personal experiences to the situation.

#justathought

We all

Shut it ya "neg" ????

I think buddiecat and company, mentioned a few posts above, have done a good job as this campaign has progressed.

In fact I don't think they could have done much more.

I wonder how many of the 500+ are from this forum?

I think, if there is a problem, it lies elsewhere.

That's not to say there is a problem at all, it could just as easily be that as many people who are interested, or not, have made up their minds and any further increase could be very difficult.

An awful lot riding on this meeting, fingers crossed it produces the desired increase.