Prince

Drew

I liked the theme he did for the batman movie he put a lot into that track. How many albums do posters own , I had a few back in the 80s none now. Everything I hear on the media is from 1999. He had talent but one of the best is a bit far fetched in my opinion to say he is equivalent to Bowie is a huge exaggeration.

I liked the theme he did for the batman movie he put a lot into that track. How many albums do posters own , I had a few back in the 80s none now. Everything I hear on the media is from 1999. He had talent but one of the best is a bit far fetched in my opinion to say he is equivalent to Bowie is a huge exaggeration.

I see a lot of similarities between Bowie and Prince. Genre-crossing. Writers, singers, guitar players, actors, ambiguous sexuality, went through different phases of both musical output and image, great live performers, had good bands backing them....

Definitely think they stand comparison. Subjective matter if you like one of them, dislike one of them, like both of them, or like neither of them.

Personally, I liked both.

There's mass hysteria when some people pass away.

Comparing an apple to an orange, as these situations clearly are, are impossible to quantify.

Some musicians appeal to many and mean little/nothing to others.

I can see why people are slightly shocked by their passing but I'm bemused at the level of public grief that's shown by some.

I don't think it's right to criticise this, just accept it and get on with things.

On Prince, wrote/performed many good pop songs for me.

Will I miss him, get real.

I didnae cry, some things are more important.

There's mass hysteria when some people pass away.

Comparing an apple to an orange, as these situations clearly are, are impossible to quantify.

Some musicians appeal to many and mean little/nothing to others.

I can see why people are slightly shocked by their passing but I'm bemused at the level of public grief that's shown by some.

I don't think it's right to criticise this, just accept it and get on with things.

On Prince, wrote/performed many good pop songs for me.

Will I miss him, get real.

I didnae cry, some things are more important.

Personally i will miss his music, i love music much the same as i love football. I missed hearing new INXS music when Michael Hutchence passed away.... Like you say, there are certain performers who appeal to some more than others. I won't do Diana style grieving but i feel that rather than mourn these "stars" discussing them is like a celebration of their talent.

Got to agree. Prince was very talented, very productive, and so on and soforth... but watching the news tonight, it seems another round of candlelit vigils, carpets of flowers, wailing and crying and general whataboutery is upon us. I reckon some folk who probably only bought the Purple Rain album suddenly feel the need to fly to Paisley Park and have a greet' outside the gates.

I blame Diana.

Edited by pozbaird

When push comes to shove, my favourite band is Rush. When one of them goes, maybe I should go to the site of the old Glasgow Apollo, light a candle, place a bunch of flowers, a Canadian flag and the cover from the 'A Farewell to Kings' album.... Or I could quietly say to myself 'ach FFS, what a scunner' and maybe listen to some of their stuff?

When push comes to shove, my favourite band is Rush. When one of them goes, maybe I should go to the site of the old Glasgow Apollo, light a candle, place a bunch of flowers, a Canadian flag and the cover from the 'A Farewell to Kings' album.... Or I could quietly say to myself 'ach FFS, what a scunner' and maybe listen to some of their stuff?

Not fly to Canada to sign a book of condolence?

Guest TPAFKATS

Supreme musician and composer across a wide range of genres.

What a legacy to leave behind. People will be listening to Prince songs or performing covers for as long as music is played.

RIP.

Indeed.

More diverse and influential than Bowie?

Guest TPAFKATS

Got to agree. Prince was very talented, very productive, and so on and soforth... but watching the news tonight, it seems another round of candlelit vigils, carpets of flowers, wailing and crying and general whataboutery is upon us. I reckon some folk who probably only bought the Purple Rain album suddenly feel the need to fly to Paisley Park and have a greet' outside the gates.

I blame Diana.

I blame Elvis.

Even now, when I sit on the toilet I'm often reduced to tears.

Guest TPAFKATS

Can only say that all of his music passed me by ... not a fan ... sorry!

He was so prolific and diverse that a lot of his music passed by the vast majority of music fans.

In amongst it all though was some genius stuff.

Prince's music is very evocative for me.

Hearing that he died hit me quite hard.

My mid to late teens were characterised by Prince and a few other artists (Tom Waits, Matt Johnson etc), so I make no apology for making a big deal about his death.