Prince

Drew

I see a lot of similarities between Bowie and Prince. Genre-crossing. Writers, singers, guitar players, actors, ambiguous sexuality, went through different phases of both musical output and image, great live performers, had good bands backing them....

Definitely think they stand comparison. Subjective matter if you like one of them, dislike one of them, like both of them, or like neither of them.

Personally, I liked both.

POZ I get where you are coming from but as I wrote how many albums of Prince are owned by posters. Y especially he had talent however I agree with Faraway Saint the media is making

A big deal out of something just above average in my opinion. Bowie had more influential albums by far I get some will be into Prince but would be surprised if more than 2 albums are owned by posters.

POZ I get where you are coming from but as I wrote how many albums of Prince are owned by posters. Y especially he had talent however I agree with Faraway Saint the media is making

A big deal out of something just above average in my opinion. Bowie had more influential albums by far I get some will be into Prince but would be surprised if more than 2 albums are owned by posters.

Just counted.. I have 12

Bowie albums I own one - a double Greatest Hits set. I then downloaded individual songs I liked from iTunes, as most Bowie albums contained a lot of stuff I personally rated as mere filler.

Prince albums I own six - I then downloaded individual songs (from later in his career albums) from iTunes. Most later career Prince albums contained a lot of stuff I personally rated as mere extended funk wank-fests that he jotted off on the back of a Woodbine packet in his sleep for contractual obligation reasons.

It really is each to their own. For Bowie, Prince, or anyone.

Edited by pozbaird

Totally agree.

Case in point. I don't own any RUSH.......I personally rate all their music as extended wank-fests.

If we all shared the same tastes in music the world would be a dull as spending time listening to debates between Oaky and Dicko.

I don't like a fair chunk of Rush stuff either. Most of the debut album bar' 'Working Man'. There's some utter nonsense on 'Fly By Night', and 'Caress of Steel' is pretty much 100% nonsense. They, IMHO, found their feet with the 2112 album, but I still understand why folk hate their music and reckon all of it, is nonsense.

Fairy nuff'.

Bowie albums I own one - a double Greatest Hits set. I then downloaded individual songs I liked from iTunes, as most Bowie albums contained a lot of stuff I personally rated as mere filler.

Prince albums I own six - I then downloaded individual songs (from later in his career albums) from iTunes. Most later career Prince albums contained a lot of stuff I personally rated as mere extended funk wank-fests that he jotted off on the back of a Woodbine packet in his sleep for contractual obligation reasons.

It really is each to their own. For Bowie, Prince, or anyone.

Agree it's down to individual taste each to their own.

Prince's music is very evocative for me.

Hearing that he died hit me quite hard.

My mid to late teens were characterised by Prince and a few other artists (Tom Waits, Matt Johnson etc), so I make no apology for making a big deal about his death.

Oh FFS lol.gif

Embarrassing stuff. You'd think he was a treasured member of your family.

I blame Diana for all this overly emotional and utterly fake guff.

Gutted. A genius

FFS here we go again.

There is no such thing as "genius". That's a word mediocre people use to justify their mediocrity.

And "gutted"????

Seriously?

A man you don't know dies and you are "gutted"?

Aye right……you'll have forgotten all about this man by the end of the weekend.

Edited by oaksoft

Oh FFS lol.gif

Embarrassing stuff. You'd think he was a treasured member of your family.

I blame Diana for all this overly emotional and utterly fake guff.

I'm touched that you care enough about me to be embarrassed on my bahelf, but you needn't have bothered, as I'm afraid I can't reciprocate. Soz, etc....

I think it's a matter of how much people contributed. Prince was prodigiously talented and creative, and, as such his departure has been met with a significant reaction. There is nothing unduly mawkish about that, I don't believe.

The Diana thing is a different matter (for me, in any event), but I suppose some folk must have felt she contributed in some way. Personally, I don't get it, so perhaps I should understand why people don't understand why others have reacted to the deaths of the likes of Bowie and Prince in the manner that they have.

I was gutted when Prince died. My definition of 'gutted' when used in such matters equates to the sort of feeling I had when TCFKAR scored against us with 9 men. The kind of 'gutted' I felt when the Glasgow Apollo shut its doors. That sort of thing. It's a real scunner cos' I loved a lot of his music and he was one of the best live acts I'd ever seen. I hoped to see him play live in the future, and to hear more albums from him which would have been interesting as he grew older and his writing could have moved in goodness knows what direction.

Elvis Costello. There's another insanely talented musician and songwriter I would be gutted about dying at Prince's age - I hope he goes on and on, recording and playing live for many years to come, and, like Ronnie Corbett or Bond director Guy Hamilton, has a real good innings at 85 or 93... Not bloomin' 57. FFS.

Edited by pozbaird

I was gutted when Prince died. My definition of 'gutted' when used in such matters equates to the sort of feeling I had when TCFKAR scored against us with 9 men. The kind of 'gutted' I felt when the Glasgow Apollo shut its doors. That sort of thing. It's a real scunner cos' I loved a lot of his music and he was one of the best live acts I ever saw. I hoped to see him play live in the future, and to hear more albums from him which would have been interesting as he grew older and his writing could have moved in goodness knows what direction.

Elvis Costello. There's another insanely talented musician and songwriter I would be gutted about dying at Prince's age - I hope he goes on and on, recording and playing live for many years to come, and, like Ronnie Corbett or Bond director Guy Hamilton, has a real good innings at 85 or 93... Not bloomin' 57. FFS.

I suspect those who enjoy trolling know this and are on the wind up, if not, then i pity those who have no passion in their life for anything...

I suspect those who enjoy trolling know this and are on the wind up, if not, then i pity those who have no passion in their life for anything...

So if we're not like you we are trolls who have no passion for anything?

This is getting ridiculous. lol.gif

Get over yourself FFS.lol.gif

I was gutted when Prince died. My definition of 'gutted' when used in such matters equates to the sort of feeling I had when TCFKAR scored against us with 9 men. The kind of 'gutted' I felt when the Glasgow Apollo shut its doors. That sort of thing. It's a real scunner cos' I loved a lot of his music and he was one of the best live acts I ever saw. I hoped to see him play live in the future, and to hear more albums from him which would have been interesting as he grew older and his writing could have moved in goodness knows what direction.

I was sad when Ian Banks died. A good author, who had many more books in him, he was also very young.

Are people genuinely suggesting that we shouldn't be demonstrably sad or upset when someone we respect dies - someone who has enriched our lives in some way? Is that embarrassing? Seriously?