Should I Stay With Virgin?

E=Mc2

Can I ask what the advantages are of having an android box? I wouldn't want to be relying on a potentially dodgy wifi connection when I do watch TV. Is that how it works?

I have a Zgemma box its chipped to take virgin ,initial cost of box is £280 for box and 1st year then £90 per year ,for that I get all virgin channels , sky movies ,sky sport, bt sport ,premier sport and ppv.Only downside is you need to keep virgin broadband so I generally pay £30 a month for that and phone line.

I have a Zgemma box its chipped to take virgin ,initial cost of box is £280 for box and 1st year then £90 per year ,for that I get all virgin channels , sky movies ,sky sport, bt sport ,premier sport and ppv.Only downside is you need to keep virgin broadband so I generally pay £30 a month for that and phone line.

Chipped? Sounds dodgy....

I've just called Virgin, querying my bill.

I'm getting charged £25 for a landline I seldom use, £43 for broadband (currently upgradeable to 200mps), and the rest is for hundreds of TV channels that show mindless drivel.

So, in summary....I'm a f**king mug!

Their best offer was to give us the lowest rate TV package, downgrade the phone line, and keep broadband as is for £64.

I'm tempted to bag the TV and phone altogether, and try get cheaper broadband somewhere. I'm not tied in presently but apparently have to give 30 days notice to leave?

Yes they will always say that but your bill is paid a month in advance , so it depends where you are in the billing cycle with regard to telling them when to get tae. .

Who are you paying that to?

Decent android box is between £30-90 (I have an Amazon Fire TV which cost £65)

Install Kodi then a build such as Pulse or GenTec and, with a decent broadband connection (eg Virgin or Infinity) you'll have all the sport, movies and TV you want.

Who are you paying that to?

Decent android box is between £30-90 (I have an Amazon Fire TV which cost £65)

Install Kodi then a build such as Pulse or GenTec and, with a decent broadband connection (eg Virgin or Infinity) you'll have all the sport, movies and TV you want.

Tried android boxes and seemed to constantly buffer , this box is just like virgin box play is flawless and all the HD channels.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I nearly left Virgin 18 months ago when I told them I hadn't used their On Demand Movies and they said I, or someone, must have.

I challenged them to send an engineer to check my box if that would produce evidence to convince them, or me, of exactly what was watched and when.

They said a call out would be £90 and I said "no problem". They even phoned me back to say that I would have to pay the £90 when their system was proved to be correct and did I wish to cancel the engineer. The engineer came out, attached his own gizmo, then phoned Virgin to say that no movies had been rented using this box.

I then called them to cancel my account as I felt I had been badly let down.

It was then I got the 2 boxes plus everything except Sky Sports and movies for £64.48p per month. This included an £8 per month loyalty bonus, which finished on Monday, as I have been with them 15 years.

I did find this box of tricks on Ebay, but I wouldn't know where to start.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ZGemma-H2H-FreeSat-Satellite-Cable-Receiver-IPTV-1080p-Enigma-OpenATV-Vix-/261799191244

We went with the full Sky package a whle ago and have been happy with the service, especially the NFL, golf, F1 and football which as big sports fans is great for us. We hardly ever watched or recorded movies though. Any movies we really want we buy on BluRay. I thought that a cunning plan would be to cancel the movie part of our package and divert the savings towards the SMiSA/GLS bid to buythebuds. Phoned Sky, and instead of cancelling the movie part, they basically offered a big discount on our overall package for six months, which equates to a far bigger saving than merely cancelling the movies. My guess is they reckon in six months, when it reverts to 'normal price' (Ha! Sky - 'normal price'!), you will forget, can't be arsed, just let it revert... Nah, got the date in October marked up in the diary. Will be back onto them before then to once more 'do the discount dance', see what we get off for another six, nine, twelve months.

Dealing with Sky really is like taking part in Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' haggling sketch... Surprised Sky haven't as yet sent me my free gourd and beard set.

Anyway... Very happy with the Sky service, the HD box with hunners' of terry bites of space, with their catch-up TV service and have no desire to involve myself in Kindle sticks, dingle-dongles, streaming buffers or squiffle-pack triangulation decoders fae' a bloke doon' the pub.... Or Maplins. Hi! De! Hi!

Edited by pozbaird