Should I Stay With Virgin?

E=Mc2

We went with the full Sky package a whle ago and have been happy with the service, especially the NFL, golf, F1 and football which as big sports fans is great for us. We hardly ever watched or recorded movies though. Any movies we really want we buy on BluRay. I thought that a cunning plan would be to cancel the movie part of our package and divert the savings towards the SMiSA/GLS bid to buythebuds. Phoned Sky, and instead of cancelling the movie part, they basically offered a big discount on our overall package for six months, which equates to a far bigger saving than merely cancelling the movies. My guess is they reckon in six months, when it reverts to 'normal price' (Ha! Sky - 'normal price'!), you will forget, can't be arsed, just let it revert... Nah, got the date in October marked up in the diary. Will be back onto them before then to once more 'do the discount dance', see what we get off for another six, nine, twelve months.

Dealing with Sky really is like taking part in Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' haggling sketch... Surprised Sky haven't as yet sent me my free gourd and beard set.

Anyway... Very happy with the Sky service, the HD box with hunners' of terry bites of space, with their catch-up TV service and have no desire to involve myself in Kindle sticks, dingle-dongles, streaming buffers or squiffle-pack triangulation decoders fae' a bloke doon' the pub.... Or Maplins. Hi! De! Hi!

Very few Sky customers pay the full price for their package , at least the wise ones are doing what you did . Now is a good time to put Sky under pressure as they have over bid for the EPL and overspent on a campaign for the new Q box which hasn't worked out for them . They are having to cut corners internally by continuing to pay folk off too. .

Thanks for this. I've been given a code.

Is Sky's broadband reliable in folk's experience? Virgin is generally very good in this regard - and consistently quick.

Also depends how close you are to telephone exchange.

I get about 5mb, daughter, half a mile closer to town, gets close to 11mb.

Try below, give you an idea how close you are to a exchange.

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Also depends how close you are to telephone exchange.

I get about 5mb, daughter, half a mile closer to town, gets close to 11mb.

Try below, give you an idea how close you are to a exchange.

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Cheers.

For all I'm paying a hefty amount for Virgin broadband, it is very, very quick. I routinely check speeds and it is usually between 60 and 100 mbps. I'm being upgraded to 200,albeit I doubt it will hit that in real world terms.

I'm willing to stick with them for broadband, so now weighing options for TV and (possibly) landlines. If it was down to me alone, I'd get rid of the phone line altogether.

Just got refunded £134 odds from Virgin Media for overcharging bill handling fees for non DD payment ,seems they should only have been charging 45p per transaction but have been hitting customers with £5.

You need to request a refund but include this in your email Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012,

Sock it to the bassas.

Just got refunded £134 odds from Virgin Media for overcharging bill handling fees for non DD payment ,seems they should only have been charging 45p per transaction but have been hitting customers with £5.

You need to request a refund but include this in your email Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012,

Sock it to the bassas.

I take it this doesn't apply if paying by DD?

Sock it to the bassas.

How did you go about getting the refund? Does it need to be email or can you phone?

How did you go about getting the refund? Does it need to be email or can you phone?

I emailed ,just went through the customer service site ,but this is a number that's supposed to miss all the extensions etc 0843 515 8680 .

Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 include this in your email or phone call and tell them that you want a refund ,they won't offer it mate.

I emailed ,just went through the customer service site ,but this is a number that's supposed to miss all the extensions etc 0843 515 8680 .

Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 include this in your email or phone call and tell them that you want a refund ,they won't offer it mate.

Just off the phone. They said because I joined before 2013 it doesn't apply so they have to raise it as a complaint to get the refund an I should hear in 5 working days.

• 8 months later...

I am able to get n lines works with most satellite digital recievers for reasonable cost includes all sport movies box office and very stable lines one off cost and gives you full package plus box office and racing channels. And recently launched IPTV (sky go) works on mobile , tablet, laptop on gives you option to cast to tv and smart tv app is coming very soon, great quality and discount available for felloe buds any questions feel free to message me.

4 minutes ago, MotherwellSaint said:

I am able to get n lines works with most satellite digital recievers for reasonable cost includes all sport movies box office and very stable lines one off cost and gives you full package plus box office and racing channels. And recently launched IPTV (sky go) works on mobile , tablet, laptop on gives you option to cast to tv and smart tv app is coming very soon, great quality and discount available for felloe buds any questions feel free to message me.

Sounds good.

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Im out in Egypt for the moment. Got a box for 500 Egyptian Pounds £25. 6 months TV channels 4,000 from around the world including Sky Sports for 150 Egyptian Pounds around £7.50.  Wish we could have this kind of service in the uk. 

you can get this in the uk pm me for details

4 hours ago, div said:

You can get a Sly Box, seems to do the job as far as some of my mates are concerned;

http://slytv.co.uk/

the boxes work well theres a few other options of getting all the channels including box office all sports and movies, and even all the 3pm kick offs on a Saturday.

• 2 months later...
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, E=Mc2 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I nearly left Virgin 18 months ago when I told them I hadn't used their On Demand Movies and they said I, or someone, must have.

I challenged them to send an engineer to check my box if that would produce evidence to convince them, or me, of exactly what was watched and when.

They said a call out would be £90 and I said "no problem". They even phoned me back to say that I would have to pay the £90 when their system was proved to be correct and did I wish to cancel the engineer. The engineer came out, attached his own gizmo, then phoned Virgin to say that no movies had been rented using this box.

I then called them to cancel my account as I felt I had been badly let down.

It was then I got the 2 boxes plus everything except Sky Sports and movies for £64.48p per month. This included an £8 per month loyalty bonus, which finished on Monday, as I have been with them 15 years.

I did find this box of tricks on Ebay, but I wouldn't know where to start.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ZGemma-H2H-FreeSat-Satellite-Cable-Receiver-IPTV-1080p-Enigma-OpenATV-Vix-/261799191244

hi if need any info on this feel free to send me a pm few different options cheers

Im out in Egypt for the moment. Got a box for 500 Egyptian Pounds £25. 6 months TV channels 4,000 from around the world including Sky Sports for 150 Egyptian Pounds around £7.50.  Wish we could have this kind of service in the uk. 

We could, if you were happy to earn what an Egyptian earns!