Previous "big Name" Signings

With the annual season-end clearout of deadwood imminent I was wondering what new signings we can expect Alex Rae to pick up before next season. More specifically I wondered how he can avoid repeating the same errors our recent managers have made at this stage. I'm thinking of the sort of "names" that appear to be exciting additions only to turn out to be duds or just lazy b*stards looking for easy money.

I was chuffed when we signed Danny Grainger - dud.

Ditto Gary Harkins - he couldn't be arsed.

Even Marian Kello seemed a class above our usual signings - wrong again !

I'm sure you can think of plenty others. I just can't understand why these guys with big reputations were so useless playing for us. Were they just taking the piss (e.g. no respect for wee soft-touch Danny Lennon ?) or was it our style of play that didn't suit their strengths ?

Does Alex Rae have a better eye for a good player who will bring the right attitude ? Can he assemble a squad that are willing to fight for 90+ minutes week after week ? We are going to need that level of commitment from the players next season if we are to avoid another miserable spell trawling along at the wrong end of the division.

Dargo probably stands out for me, signed on the back of 2 superb seasons at ICT, linked to other clubs in the league and down south and generally, at the time, seemed to be really sought after..

When he was here I get we were a better team with him in it, but no one could have predicted his lack of goals

All this thread goes to prove is how difficult it is for a club with our sort of budget to consistently compete in the massive gamble that is today's signing market. I really don't envy any manager attempting to build a team to compete when you are so relatively far down the food chain and faced with players of limited ability (and in many cases even more limited enthusiasm) with vastly inflated ego's. It perfectly highlights the old adage that every signing is indeed a gamble.

Mo Camara.

I spoke briefly with Gus the day Camara signed, and said something to the effect that I hoped it would work out. He made a face as if to suggest, even then, that he was less than convinced, and even less confident.

I always found that a bit odd, and, as a result, wondered whether some of these signings were a window dressing exercise as much as anything else. That seems more than a little far fetched, but it has crossed my mind on occasion.

we could start with Gerry Creaney, Craig Dargo

We could go further back to Ian Ure who we signed from Man Utd in 1971.. He'd previously played for Arsenal and only 4 years before we signed him, for £10,000, he was a Scotland international.

IIRC he played fewer than 5 games for Saints before retiring.

His name is also an anagram of A Urine.

I'm starting to wonder if it has been managers fault for signings in the past given what has been quoted from Alex recently. That he could not move for players he wanted from Morton, Falkirk, Raith Rovers due to us not knowing what budget he has to work on. Now these players Alex wanted have all signed on for their clubs as Alex could not make a move for them. This has happened a lot In past seasons our managers are going to the market with one hand tied behind their back. As such we end up with panic signings. Looks like nothing will have changed this coming season.

Dargo probably stands out for me, signed on the back of 2 superb seasons at ICT, linked to other clubs in the league and down south and generally, at the time, seemed to be really sought after..

When he was here I get we were a better team with him in it, but no one could have predicted his lack of goals

Problem with Dargo was that he was continually injured and never fit

I'm starting to wonder if it has been managers fault for signings in the past given what has been quoted from Alex recently. That he could not move for players he wanted from Morton, Falkirk, Raith Rovers due to us not knowing what budget he has to work on. Now these players Alex wanted have all signed on for their clubs as Alex could not make a move for them. This has happened a lot In past seasons our managers are going to the market with one hand tied behind their back. As such we end up with panic signings. Looks like nothing will have changed this coming season.

There will be a lot of players out of contract as clubs cut their budgets. Let's wait and see who is available and who we can afford and entice to sign.

Problem with Dargo was that he was continually injured and never fit

I spoke to the Killie Physio after we had signed him and he said he was the slowest healing player he had ever worked with. He said the lad had a good attitude but just took a really long time to get over even the slightest injuries. Shame as he proved at ICT if he was fit, he was a very good player.

McAvennie second time around was a huge disappointment, in a cluster of a season, he should have been a great signing.