Previous "big Name" Signings

When was he on trial with us? I've heard this from a few people now but I don't see anything online about it at all.

I hadn't heard about it either but seems there is some truth in it: https://twitter.com/BarryAnderson_/status/725986073998974976

If he was a teenager it would probably be when Gus was in charge, although could be Lennon's first season.

I hadn't heard about it either but seems there is some truth in it: https://twitter.com/BarryAnderson_/status/725986073998974976

If he was a teenager it would probably be when Gus was in charge, although could be Lennon's first season.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/scottish_football/237055/i-stole-somebodys-bike-and-ran-away-riyad-mahrez-staged-daring-escape-from-trial-with-st-mirren-because-it-was-too-cold.html

He caught a train to the airport?Budget flight from Prestwick?

Some other quotes say we it was a trial in the Scottish First Division with St Mirren reserves. When we were last in the first division he'd have been about 15!

Guest TPAFKATS

Steve Archibald was mince . He's got to be in the top 10 .

Without archi we wouldn't have had you munoz. His only redeeming feature?

Some other quotes say we it was a trial in the Scottish First Division with St Mirren reserves. When we were last in the first division he'd have been about 15!

2009. Was during the first half our season played at Love St before the move.

Munoz and Archibald was one of many nonsensical decisions that eventually led us to losing Love Street.

Lunatics

We also built a new stand, that didn't help! Whereas other debt dodging teams continued to live beyond their means!

We also built a new stand, that didn't help! Whereas other debt dodging teams continued to live beyond their means!

The Love St stand was built to take our capacity to the SPL required minimum seated capacity for promotion, only for the SPL to drop their requirements a season or two later by around 2-4 thousand, which means we wouldn't have needed to build the bloody thing afterall.

Munoz was class. So were Torfason & Stickroth. Despite everything, my St Mirren supporting life has 100% been enriched by seeing Munoz, Torfason & Stickroth in the stripes.

Different world back then. Would be interesting to see the combined transfer fees paid, and those received, by St Mirren over a ten year period back then.

Archibald was shite though. Some you win, some you lose. Loved big Guni though.

Dennis Wyness. Lauded at Inverness and although renowned for the first goal at the new ground it was one of only two scored for us

On my Top Ten Worst Saints Signings list - never prolific at SPL level he was already past 30 (graveyard territory for most strikers) when GM signed him in a desperate attempt to rekindle his partnership with a, by then, Craig Dargo - bad, bad signing.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Different world back then. Would be interesting to see the combined transfer fees paid, and those received, by St Mirren over a ten year period back then.

Well, going from 1981-82 until we were relegated in 1991-92, IIRC and backed up by the 125th anniversary book...(feel free to correct, fees in 1000's )

81/82

In Tony Fitzpatrick 150 Out Peter Weir 220 Andy Dunlop 35

82/83

No fees in or out

83/84

In Rowan Alexander 27 Drew Jarvie 4 Neil Cooper 12 Derek Hamilton 4 Out Billy Stark 70 Eric Sinclair 7 Chic Charnley 1.5

84/85

In Jim Rooney 47 Brian Gallagher 43.5 Kenny McDowall 32.5 Peter Godfrey 32 Out Billy Thomson 82.5 Frank MacDougall 106 Rowan Alexander 25

85/86

In Frank McGarvey 94 Out Frank MacAvennie 350 Mark Fulton 52

86/87

In Paul Chalmers 15 Ian Ferguson 64 Les Fridge 54 Out Jim Rooney 8.5 Steve Clarke 422

87/88

In Keith Walker 53 Robert Dawson 34 Mark McWalter 53 Billy Davies 6 Mike Conroy 76 Brian Martin 97 Out Ian Ferguson 900 (46 to Clyde)

88/89

In Peter Weir 135 Paul Kinnaird 90 Out John Butler 20 Mike Conroy 40

89/90

In Gudmunder Torfason 160 Roddy Manley 250 Fraser Wishart 285 Tom Black 70 Tomas Stickroth 400 Out Ian Cameron 215 Brian Hamilton 285 Neil Cooper 30 Peter Weir 40 Tommy Wilson 50 Paul Chalmers/Keith Walker 200

90/91

In Alan Irvine 20 Julian Broddle 40 Out Billy Davies 160 David Winnie 265

91/92

In Roy Aitken 150 Lex Baillie 90 David Elliott/Chic Charnley 250 (plus Shaw and McWalter) Out Brian Martin Tom Black 240 (combined)

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

For me Roy Aitken ... hated the big tosser when he was with septic but he did a great job in a Saints jersey just never stayed around long enough

Big Roy was the last Saints player to be capped for Scotland.

Having gone over my earlier post, I don't think I missed anyone during that period of 11 seasons but I'm willing to be corrected.

By my reckoning, in that period the club's spend and returns were...

Total paid £2,838,000

Total received £3,778,500

Which gave a net transfer surplus of £940,500